Laura TTL out of state

Dunn

1 hour ago, Dunn said:

nah i dont have another state to register.....think even po boxes dont qualify anymore?.......lived in D.P. ( selva rd) and San Clemente ( Pico ave) for years, loved it down there btw......I wont get into Drivers license issues, lol

Ohhh, yes, I know the two. I grew up in Capistrano on del Avion and now live in Dana Point, still off of del Avion. Correct, P.O. Box is no good in nearly (if not all) states. But I use the MailBox etc. address and it's printed on my California license.

27 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Ohhh, yes, I know the two. I grew up in Capistrano on del Avion and now live in Dana Point, still off of del Avion. Correct, P.O. Box is no good in nearly (if not all) states. But I use the MailBox etc. address and it's printed on my California license.

that works for registration or only license?

I'm going to answer your question with a question. If a business is established using one of those addresses, and buys vehicles, where is the vehicle registered?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Dunn said:

Both my registration and my California plates on the other car use the box address, not P.O., it shows up as a street address.

48 minutes ago, Transient said:

I'm going to answer your question with a question. If a business is established using one of those addresses, and buys vehicles, where is the vehicle registered?

The vehicle is registered with whatever address you use.. but that would not fly with your insurance company, they will ask for the garaging location. And in a lot of cases, the insurance will not like it if you were driving it in another state and can cancel your policy.

It is not worth the hassle, just make sure the damn thing has California emissions and your'e good to go!

The vehicle is registered with whatever address you use.. but that would not fly with your insurance company, they will ask for the garaging location. And in a lot of cases, the insurance will not like it if you were driving it in another state and can cancel your policy.

It is not worth the hassle, just make sure the damn thing has California emissions and your'e good to go!

We aren't talking insurance. We are talking registration. Everything you said I agree with, but it's getting off the topic. I live in/recently moved to California, but my truck isn't registered in California. I've been doing this since 2008, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I move every 2-3 years. I've bought 5 vehicles during that time, all in different states, and all have been registered in my home state. Sorry if I come off like an a$$hole about this, but it really is in my wheelhouse. I do know the intricacies and details of how this works. O just spent 3 months trying to get a bull-headed dealership to realize I was right, and I came out on top. Last dealership to only 2 days.

8 hours ago, Transient said:

We aren't talking insurance. We are talking registration. Everything you said I agree with, but it's getting off the topic. I live in/recently moved to California, but my truck isn't registered in California. I've been doing this since 2008, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I move every 2-3 years. I've bought 5 vehicles during that time, all in different states, and all have been registered in my home state. Sorry if I come off like an a$$hole about this, but it really is in my wheelhouse. I do know the intricacies and details of how this works. O just spent 3 months trying to get a bull-headed dealership to realize I was right, and I came out on top. Last dealership to only 2 days.

No, I answered a question about using a mail box for the registration on top of the license. Yes, I did. Threw in insurance just in case some were wondering why it's not that easy.

You can move to California and register your car. I already said you cannot as a California resident. Please read "California resident." You clearly were not a resident, so you were able to. Some trucks, including 5.3 Silverados, are 50-state. I know for a fact not all Ford F-150's are. It all boils down to the emissions sticker, the DMV will look for it. Doesn't even matter if the car passes emissions.

So, yes, you are coming off as an a$$hole.

Edited by Wiggums

No, I answered a question about using a mail box for the registration on top of the license. Yes, I did. Threw in insurance just in case some were wondering why it's not that easy.

You can move to California and register your car. I already said you cannot as a California resident. Please read "California resident." You clearly were not a resident, so you were able to. Some trucks, including 5.3 Silverados, are 50-state. I know for a fact not all Ford F-150's are. It all boils down to the emissions sticker, the DMV will look for it. Doesn't even matter if the car passes emissions.

So, yes, you are coming off as an a$$hole.

To be honest, I haven't started acting like an a$$hole, yet. Being one is much easier for me. It comes naturally. I'll raise it up a bit in the following message so you can see I wasn't an a$$hole in my previous post. We're getting to about 25%-30% now.

With that said, you did quote my post, and you applied to something that wasn't being discussed. Nobody asked about insurance.

I never said I registered my cars in California even though I live there. Notice that's present tense, not past tense. And, what I started could be used by California residents too. Own land in another, register the vehicle there. Drive it in California (and insure it where it's garage, so that you feel better). And, not every state has emissions requirements. Since I mentioned Utah earlier I'll use them as an example. Emissions is done in a handful of counties. Register in a county and you won't have emissions requirements. The stickers Utah has for a vehicle do not vary based on whether or not you have to comply with emissions. Also, all of Utah's stickers are on the rear plate. Not sure about California, but I know Virginia and Pennsylvania have stickers in the windshield. It just depends on where you register.

9 hours ago, Transient said:

Blah, blah, blah

I brought up insurance to deflect the idea of getting a mailbox in a different state to circumvent California's rules.

The guy asked about buying a car and bringing it back in California. Congratulations on not registering your cars in California, we're all very proud of you. The OP wasn't interested in that, he was interested in buying an out-of-state vehicle as a California resident. I am a California resident, believe me, I know way more than you do. Now, you're saying you aren't a California resident. "Not sure about California." The stickers in the windshield on Virginia cars are safety, not emissions. Here in California, you don't get a sticker, you MUST have a California emission vehicle to get the tag on the plate. Goes to show how much you know!

If you don't live in California, then why bother with your worthless input and coming off as an ****? Geez, now I'm blocking you.

1 hour ago, Dunn said:

they confirmed it is california legal for registration.....so now just have to make a decision if i want to fly to st louis and drive back

Just to be REALLY safe, can you have them take a picture of the sticker under the hood? That's the ONLY thing the DMV will look at. They won't care if it passes emissions or it says so on the window sticker. A lot of times, dealers assume that the cars are 50-state just because it's new. I believe all 5.3 V8's are California-legal though, that's only because my Mexican Cheyenne was made for the Mexican market and still has the "California" sticker under the hood. Sometimes a certain engine is 50-state. I don't think Ford's 3.5 Ecoboost is 50-state, but the V8 is. Not sure if that applies to Chevy.

it is GMC elevation.....i would definently require just as you stated if it was a done deal, though i am sure they sell to california and aware of the issue.....but yeah am not flying all way out there to get a " surprise"

That was what my friend thought when he won a car in Vegas. The dealership neglected to tell him it didn't have California emissions, it wasn't their fault legally so my friend had no legal recourse but sell it out of the state. That was before volume dealerships started shipping cars out of the state at super low prices, it happened way back in 1995. Since Laura GMC has a stellar reputation, I am sure they'll be careful. You're probably right, it's less of an issue. Elevation? I like it too, I think it's the same as the RST. 2020 was when Chevy took out the unlock buttons on its rear door, my 2019 has it, so my next car won't be a Chevy, it'll be the GMC since GMC still has unlock buttons on door handles. I mentioned the emissions because nobody likes surprises. Last time I bought a car out of the state was in 1999 and it was a brand-new Subaru Legacy but I already knew they were 50-state cars and the DMV checked for the sticker. All counties do that.

Blah blah blah 

This is such a simple concept, yet you have difficulty understanding it. Must be a product of California education. Let's get some facts straight. 1) I live in California, but I'm not a California resident. 2) I lived in Virginia, but was never a Virginia resident. Regardless of where I lived, my vehicles were not registered in those states, but were insured in those states. My point was merely a means for the OP to 1) save money, and 2) obtain a vehicle of his choosing. You clearly have trouble with understanding this. Instead, you want to go off topic and act like a baby that didn't get his bottle. My solution answered the question directly, gets the OP what he looking for, and saves him money. You're clearly out of your element here and need to sit down. You're not the "Mr KnowItAll" you think you are. For example, if the 3.5 Ecoboost engines aren't California compliant, then why are they on the California dealership lots. 2.7, 2.7 turbo, 3.5, 3.5 turbo, and 3.5 twin turbo. One of my neighbors has a 2.7 turbo f150, while another has the 3.5 turbo f150. I also see a lot of 2nd gen Raptors on the road out here. There's the 3.5 twin turbo.

Yay! I'm blocked by other useless idiot. Wiggum and Grumpy Bear must be 2 peas in the same pod. Run and hide from reality. Run and hide.

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

That was what my friend thought when he won a car in Vegas. The dealership neglected to tell him it didn't have California emissions, it wasn't their fault legally so my friend had no legal recourse but sell it out of the state. That was before volume dealerships started shipping cars out of the state at super low prices, it happened way back in 1995. Since Laura GMC has a stellar reputation, I am sure they'll be careful. You're probably right, it's less of an issue. Elevation? I like it too, I think it's the same as the RST. 2020 was when Chevy took out the unlock buttons on its rear door, my 2019 has it, so my next car won't be a Chevy, it'll be the GMC since GMC still has unlock buttons on door handles. I mentioned the emissions because nobody likes surprises. Last time I bought a car out of the state was in 1999 and it was a brand-new Subaru Legacy but I already knew they were 50-state cars and the DMV checked for the sticker. All counties do that.

bucket seats,  door buttons and also the 10spd tranny.....still on fence between RAM and GMC....had 2 silverados past 2 years and i think they will outlast a ram reliability wise but jeez, i have hard time getting comfortable in new seats of GM trucks....trying to think 5 years down the road....kinda kickin my self for giving up my 19 RST as basically going right back to it, lol