'17 Double Cab wind noise

rav3

I've had this truck about a year now & notice a "wind/road" noise which appears to be coming from the rear passenger side. Has anyone lese experience this noise or is it just me? Any suggestions on "fixes"?

I have a wind noise in my 18 Crew cab.  I believe it be from the shark fin antenna, wiggles a bit when I shake it.   I can't pinpoint to an exact location, seems to be coming  from in front of me.  Need to pull the headliner down and see if tightening the antenna fixes the noise.  

Edited by johnnychuttz

5 hours ago, Lsgun1 said:

My trucks super quiet at all speeds. Do you have any aftermarket items on the body? Even vent visors can make noise.

Nope. All is standard equipment, even the tires are the original Goodyear's. It does have the factory side steps. It has the factory MAX tow package with the towing mirrors, no sunroof. Truck only has 35k on it. Not coming from the shark fin. My hearing isn't the same as when I was young but does sound like it's coming from the passenger side rear. Could be from the front door but I don't think so. I know there's a factory "pressure vent" on the back wall behind the back seats.

truck3.jpg

13 hours ago, rav3 said:

Nope. All is standard equipment, even the tires are the original Goodyear's. It does have the factory side steps. It has the factory MAX tow package with the towing mirrors, no sunroof. Truck only has 35k on it. Not coming from the shark fin. My hearing isn't the same as when I was young but does sound like it's coming from the passenger side rear. Could be from the front door but I don't think so. I know there's a factory "pressure vent" on the back wall behind the back seats.

truck3.jpg

Look's good - Check your door seals or door adjustment . dealer replace one of my door seals. Good Luck

I have a 2015 crew cab with the factory RV tow mirrors (the same ones that you have). I have wind noise that comes from the mirrors. It sounds like a loud whistle. It only occurs when the wind hits the truck at the right angle. I have gotten it on both sides of the truck and luckily its infrequent. 

52 minutes ago, SMSgtThor said:

I have a 2015 crew cab with the factory RV tow mirrors (the same ones that you have). I have wind noise that comes from the mirrors. It sounds like a loud whistle. It only occurs when the wind hits the truck at the right angle. I have gotten it on both sides of the truck and luckily its infrequent. 

Thanks for the reply SgtThor....I have been working on the seals but nothing that I've done seems to help. I have adjusted the door lock anchor as much as it will go in toward the cabs, both front & rear. I've tried adding some of the "3/8" foam" crack fillers in the inside of the door seals but have not been successful to get it but in more than about half around the back door. May look for some rubber tubing that will fit that I can pull thru. My CPO warranty is up the end of Feb & since I have messed with it, don't think the dealer will do anything, so won't pursue that, but thanks for the suggestion.

I have a 2017 Sierra RCSB.

A few weeks ago, I noticed loud wind noise - especially in a cross wind.

I did some checking and found that a piece of white plastic - attached vertically to the driver side at the rear of the cab - had come loose. There is on on each side.

The plastic was loose at the top and had curled enough – I thought – to make the noise

I was still under warranty. I took it to the dealer, they drove the truck at highway speeds but could not hear the noise. I got them to glue the strip back on anyway since it was an obvious defect.

The noise went away.

14 hours ago, Tim McMullen said:

I have a 2017 Sierra RCSB.

A few weeks ago, I noticed loud wind noise - especially in a cross wind.

I did some checking and found that a piece of white plastic - attached vertically to the driver side at the rear of the cab - had come loose. There is on on each side.

The plastic was loose at the top and had curled enough – I thought – to make the noise

I was still under warranty. I took it to the dealer, they drove the truck at highway speeds but could not hear the noise. I got them to glue the strip back on anyway since it was an obvious defect.

The noise went away.

Tim...Thanks for the reply. Can you help me a bit more on the location of the plastic? Is this on the out side of the truck? I see something located between the bed front & Cab, not sure what they are.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:15 AM, rav3 said:

My CPO warranty is up the end of Feb & since I have messed with it, don't think the dealer will do anything, so won't pursue that, but thanks for the suggestion.

This would be my first choice before trying a DIY.  I was wondering if your truck still had some original warranty left but definitely take advantage of your CPO warranty.   Water leaks and air leaks often originate in different places than they appear.  Your dealer may have a good idea of the likely problem spots on your make and model of truck and have the parts to do a factory fix.   IMO, your truck is too new and nice to be adding foam sealer from a hardware store to areas you think may be a problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

Have you tried folding the mirrors in just to see if it goes away?

Thanks for the reply. No I have not but what I hear is more road noise than wind. I probably should of clarified that better. Sounds like coming from rear passengers side

17 minutes ago, rav3 said:

Thanks for the reply. No I have not but what I hear is more road noise than wind. I probably should of clarified that better. Sounds like coming from rear passengers side

How is the tread on the tire on the right rear?  Is it cupped?  Is the tread worn evenly? Not necessarily worn on one side or another, but is it smooth across the tread or feel kinda “jagged” if you rub your hand across the tread?  Point being, poor tread wear can cause road noise.  Maybe rotate the tires front to back and see if you notice a difference where the noise is coming from. 

Tread wear is nice, smooth & even on all tires. The road noise is entering either from the door seals or other areas of cab, whether it's from poor sound insulation or some place that needs some sound insulation.. I may have to remove the rear seat on passengers side to investigate further