Broken Pushrod... Now a big repair

5 hours ago, DENALIHD66 said:

Truck build says Mexico, however I'm not sure how I check the build location for the engine separately?

I don't know how "lucky" I am since I'm paying for the repairs 7 months post-powertrain warranty.  Sounds like you would have at least been covered under warranty for the engine replacement?

Yes sir, 23000 miles when it happened. Was referring to not having to replace the whole engine.

That is what led to my 16 being a buy back, not sure what they did (dealer) when they installed the brand new off the shelf engine, but that truck would not run correctly.

OMG!!!  I just went through the exact same thing starting 3 weeks ago.  Dealership eventually replaced all right side lifters and injectors, VLOM, 1 pushrod (not all 8), various gaskets, oil, etc.  Dealership had it 2 weeks.  During the first test drive after initially replacing 2 injectors and a lifter the pushrod broke.  My symptoms were exactly the same except that I hadn't heard the ticking noise for very long at all.

2016, Denali, 6.2 with 56,1xx miles... and thank goodness for the extended warranty.

On 2/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, jrabenaldt said:

OMG!!!  I just went through the exact same thing starting 3 weeks ago.  Dealership eventually replaced all right side lifters and injectors, VLOM, 1 pushrod (not all 8), various gaskets, oil, etc.  Dealership had it 2 weeks.  During the first test drive after initially replacing 2 injectors and a lifter the pushrod broke.  My symptoms were exactly the same except that I hadn't heard the ticking noise for very long at all.

2016, Denali, 6.2 with 56,1xx miles... and thank goodness for the extended warranty.

Dang thats crazy, almost same amount of miles as me.  I routinely run injector cleaner through my fuel system (Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant) and everything stays very clean.  If my truck has lost any power since new, I can't tell at all.  Runs like a top after the fix.  I do hear a new ticking sound from something on the serpentine belt... thinking its just the alternator though.

55 minutes ago, DENALIHD66 said:

Dang thats crazy, almost same amount of miles as me.  I routinely run injector cleaner through my fuel system (Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant) and everything stays very clean.  If my truck has lost any power since new, I can't tell at all.  Runs like a top after the fix.  I do hear a new ticking sound from something on the serpentine belt... thinking its just the alternator though.

Have you had the vacuum pump replaced?

On 2/23/2021 at 5:41 PM, DENALIHD66 said:

Just a thought. High pressure fuel pump. I wonder if they put the sound deadener back in. ?

3 hours ago, DENALIHD66 said:

Vacuum pump for what?  What symptoms would I have?

It's for the brakes and it's oil cooled.  The originals are known to go out and send metal shaving through the whole engine and take it out!!!!!!  The dealer will replace for free if there is a problem.  I took my L86 in a had it replace.  I just told them I experince two times, while pull my boat at slow speed it pushed threw the brake like they went away for a second.  Which is a syntom of it failing and it did happen once.

It's on it's own strech serpentine belt coming off the back of the balancer pulley.  It's located on the lower drivers side of the engine.  Right by the frame behind your inner fender wells.

7 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

It's for the brakes and it's oil cooled.  The originals are known to go out and send metal shaving through the whole engine and take it out!!!!!!  The dealer will replace for free if there is a problem.  I took my L86 in a had it replace.  I just told them I experince two times, while pull my boat at slow speed it pushed threw the brake like they went away for a second.  Which is a syntom of it failing and it did happen once.

It's on it's own strech serpentine belt coming off the back of the balancer pulley.  It's located on the lower drivers side of the engine.  Right by the frame behind your inner fender wells.

Good to know dealer will replace it for free.  Here's a video I took from the driver's side today, warm idle.

You need to go to the auto parts store and get a mechanincal stethoscope.  Then place it all over the engine.  When you get to the spot it's ticking will be really loud.  So put it on the valve covers, oil pan, vacuum pump.  Any where you can think of.

You can use a long screw driver too and just put it on the engine then put your ear to the other end.  But for 10 bucks it's a great tool to have in your tool box.  It's saved me alot of money.

• Like 1