Dealer free oil change.... 2,000 miles later

14 hours ago, jnissen said:

Likely a fool not oiling the gasket prior to application. Never install them dry. Never had one leak in 30 years doing it properly.

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

Bingo.  A dry gasket will stretch and tear on install.

I'll bet out of 100 so called 'Bad Filters' 99 of them were bad installations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I'll bet out of 100 so called 'Bad Filters' 99 of them were bad installations. 

No i just think dealers use a cheaper filter for the free changes as both of the ones i used, ended up with a leaking filter. All paid changes have had 0 issues with two of them being at the same dealership. I have also seen literally now hundreds of people with leak claims after using the free change promo they were giving out on here throughout the last few years. 

Edited by BIGDOGx
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

No i just think dealers use a cheaper filter for the free changes as both of the ones i used, ended up with a leaking filter. All paid changes have had 0 issues with two of them being at the same dealership. I have also seen literally now hundreds of people with leak claims after using the free change promo they were giving out on here throughout the last few years. 

And now you know why I won't let a dealer near my truck. 

That aside are you saying that for this free service that GM had a special run of faulty filters made to a substandard spec? 

Just now, Grumpy Bear said:

And now you know why I won't let a dealer near my truck. 

That aside are you saying that for this free service that GM had a special run of faulty filters made to a substandard spec? 

Seems that way to me, sounds crazy yes but it has become comical of how many people i have seen on this site the last half decade plus complain about leaks after the free included changes, always at the the filter.

See very little of that with regular paid for changes at a dealership, 99.9% of the time it was after a free included change, like the two i used with my own truck.

I would say for anyone who will still want to use them, bring your own oil filter to be safe.

3 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

Seems that way to me, sounds crazy yes but it has become comical of how many people i have seen on this site the last half decade plus complain about leaks after the free included changes, always at the the filter.

See very little of that with regular paid for changes at a dealership, 99.9% of the time it was after a free included change, like the two i used with my own truck.

I would say for anyone who will still want to use them, bring your own oil filter to be safe.

Have you ever had one of those 'free' (cheap) haircuts at a barber college? Free services at a dealership are like that. 5 minutes earlier that kid was fipp' n burgers ? 

• Like 1

So. GM wants to be your go to place for oil changes. So they give you free oil changes to hook you with their service. And they put bad, cheap filters on your ride. Which by the way is under warranty. You guys kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

So. GM wants to be your go to place for oil changes. So they give you free oil changes to hook you with their service. And they put bad, cheap filters on your ride. Which by the way is under warranty. You guys kill me.

Karnut you believe what you want bud, not here to change people's opinions as i have no doubts the quality of product offered for the free change is garbage, verified by myself and from reading on this site for the last 10 or so years now they have run this promo so no need to get anyone else's feelings on this.

Use it at your own risk is my advice to others who might want to use the free offer.

Edited by BIGDOGx

In the last 20yrs I let the Dealership have 1qty of those "FREE" oil changed and they F'D it up and didn't even rotate my tires or lube the chassis.  I was then told the tech felt that the tires and bushings didn't need anything and filling the crankcase over by .75qts was not a big deal?  You can take your "Free" oil change and shove it!

I just purchased a new Cadillac and laughed when salesman told me I have a "Free" oil change...LOL  This is never coming back unless it's for "Warranty work or Recall"  end of story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used up my free ones on the last truck and my one on this truck. The only leak I’ve ever had was from faulty oil cooler lines. Can’t blame the dealer for that. 

People like to be dramatic about the “risk” of letting a dealer do an oil change. All I know is that the vast majority of people don’t change their own oil, and the average vehicle on a US road is ~12 years old. You tell me how that’s evidence of a widespread oil change problem.

Karnut you believe what you want bud, not here to change people's opinions as i have no doubts the quality of product offered for the free change is garbage, verified by myself and from reading on this site for the last 10 or so years now they have run this promo so no need to get anyone else's feelings on this.

Use it at your own risk is my advice to others who might want to use the free offer.

30 years of using their services across the country. Fifteen different GM trucks just the ones I used. In our business. Never a problem. Just like anything else there’s a bad one every now and then. Doesn’t mean they are all bad. I never or anyone one I know has a complaint. I like to see their inventory. Here’s the filter for the free oil change. The good one is for the paying customers. GM must have pretty good non disclosure agreements with the parts guys. No one has come forward accusing GM of using cheep filters for the (free) oil changes. I bet they filter the drain oil and reuse that too. To save money. Just get them past the warranty. Because no one brags about the longest lasting trucks. Oh, wait a minute, they do.

I don't want to argue, but I can't believe GM is using a cheaper filter for free oil changes.

To me it wouldn't be worth the savings on the filters, if one was to really leak bad and have the engines lockup and needing replacement under warranty. 

• Like 1

Not to mention the logistics of stocking two different filters for each vehicle, both having the same exact part number, but one being somehow cheaper built than the other?

Next thing you know, each dealer will have a special tech fresh out of McDonalds who is restricted to only doing the free oil changes. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Common denominator appears to be AC Delco filter. I've used nothing but Wix on all my GM trucks and never seen that happen.
No the common denominator here is the kid doing the work making $11 an hour. You get what you pay for.
I've used ac delco filters for years and guess what? Never had a leaker.
As for using a different (cheaper) filter for free oil changes? That's a stretch. And dumb.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I found this very interesting:

* As of Q3 of 2020, GM has changed the PF63E to the PF63. You will receive a PF63 oil filter from this listing. GM's description of the changes and email to dealers is provided in the photos of this listing. The PF63E is no longer being shipped by GM. 

GM's notes on the new PF63 design:

- Larger cross section gasket to improve sealing and lock seam geometry robustness

- Metal endcaps adhered with hot melt

- Leak tested twice, second time with the gasket installed

- Automated assembly equipment with error proofing

- Molded nylon center tube

- OES (service) filter to be same as OEM (production) filter

- Cleanest filter GM has ever designed

19 minutes ago, BigBlueLB756 said:

I found this very interesting:

* As of Q3 of 2020, GM has changed the PF63E to the PF63. You will receive a PF63 oil filter from this listing. GM's description of the changes and email to dealers is provided in the photos of this listing. The PF63E is no longer being shipped by GM. 

GM's notes on the new PF63 design:

- Larger cross section gasket to improve sealing and lock seam geometry robustness

- Metal endcaps adhered with hot melt

- Leak tested twice, second time with the gasket installed

- Automated assembly equipment with error proofing

- Molded nylon center tube

- OES (service) filter to be same as OEM (production) filter

- Cleanest filter GM has ever designed

Well that explains allot, eh? Not that uncommon either. Purolator has a 'white' professional services filter us mortals can't get but shops can that is...well.....lessssssssssssss. WIX as well. So yea, I guess that is more possible than I would have thought or logic would dictate. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear