Dealer free oil change.... 2,000 miles later

That’s unfortunate.   Hope it is nothing but a bad filter.  

I always considered changing my own oil.   I find there is this conundrum if you want to sell your truck (privately) later on.   Potential buyers like to see dealer maintained vehicles with all the records.  Yet present owners like to do their own oil changes.  I guess it doesn’t matter if you trade it in.  

@JimCost2014 not in my case, the filter was tight as I tried to tighten it myself.  They claimed they have seen it before and that there are small cracks in the filter, said it's a known issue.  Only reason I used the dealer was it was free and I also needed them to program the keyless entry pad I bought afterwords.

I have been using these filters and never had an issue. I always inspect before I install but anything mass produced will have defects. I’m also wondering if the gasket was stuck on the block from the previous filter and the tech didn’t realize it. I have seen them leak when that happens. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the double gasket boo-boo once. You definitely only do it once. Shot about a quart onto my driveway within few seconds. I always look down there after starting the first time so I caught it right away.

Anywho, there’s no way the leak in question was a doubled up gasket. Wouldn’t make it 2000 feet let alone 2000 miles.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

I never let the dealer change my oil, especially if it's "free".  Same goes for jiffy lube places and independents.  I do my own and have never had an issue in 50 years.

It's never 'free'.

They are in the purchase price. 

I like to change mine too, but I'll let the dealer do the ones I already paid for with the truck. 

Filter failures are rare, but they do happen.  When one is gonna fail, it doesn't care where the change was done.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jnissen said:

Likely a fool not oiling the gasket prior to application. Never install them dry. Never had one leak in 30 years doing it properly.

Bingo.  A dry gasket will stretch and tear on install.

Edited by Gangly