I am looking to purchase a Sierra 2500 in the near future.  I am trying to decide between the SLT, AT4, and Denali.  I am leaning towards the AT4 because it seems like the best price for features.  It will probably see very little to no off road action.  I can load up a SLT and it is only a few hundred less than the AT4 with more features.  I am going to use it as a daily driver, but the main reason that I am getting it is that I tow a camper a few times a year.  I have a Kodiak 291RESL that I currently tow with my 2002 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L.  The camper is 6,800 lbs dry and we probably load it to 7500, but we are really careful about what we put in it.  The Escalade has a GCVWR of 14,000lbs and that comes quick.  If I was just towing on flat ground it would do fine, but it is almost impossible to keep speed going up hills.  It has the same 6.0L that the older 2500s have, but it only has three gears and an OD, so the gears are a little too tall for towing.  I have a few questions that I can not find online. I would like to get a gas 2500 because of the price but all the reviews that I can find are for the Diesel.  If any of you with an AT4 can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How well does it tow something like a camper in the mountains?
  2. Do the Rancho shocks make a difference in towing?  For example does it squat lower with a load?
  3. Is there a need for the Heavy Duty Front Spring / Camper package and can it be added on later?  It is not that much ($45), but I am having trouble finding one with it installed.
  4. How well does it ride for an everyday driver?
  5. Is it taller than the other Sierra 2500s?  I read that it has a 2" lift.
  6. Would it be better to spend the extra $1k and get the 3500?  I have heard that the ride is very similar.
  7. What kind of fuel economy are you getting?
  8. In your opinion are all of the extra features worth it?  Of course I want it to have everything, and having blank buttons drives me crazy, but am I going to spend a butt load and it not be worth it when I could just get a SLT with just a few features, or get an AT4 without any extra packages?
  9. If you got the AT4 do you wish you would have got a Denali or saved money and got a SLT?
  10. What is your favorite feature of the truck.
  11. Does the SLT come with the multipro tailgate?  All of them that I have found online do not have it, but the brochure says that it is standard on the SLT, AT4, and Denali

Oh yea and btw my wife likes the way the AT4 looks so......

1. How well does it tow something like a camper in the mountains? - You wont know a 7500lb camper is even there.
  2. Do the Rancho shocks make a difference in towing?  For example does it squat lower with a load?  You won't squat significantly with this camper.
  3.  Is there a need for the Heavy Duty Front Spring / Camper package and can it be added on later?  It is not that much ($45), but I am having trouble finding one with it installed.  - I have the camper package and tow a fifth wheel.  I wouldn't get it again as it rides rougher when not towing.
  4. How well does it ride for an everyday driver?  - Like an empty dump truck.  It's happier when towing.
  5.  Is it taller than the other Sierra 2500s?  I read that it has a 2" lift.  -  No idea.
  6. Would it be better to spend the extra $1k and get the 3500?  I have heard that the ride is very similar.  - If you need the extra payload capacity.
  7. What kind of fuel economy are you getting?  - gas engine.  8mpg towing, 14mpg everywhere else.
  8. In your opinion are all of the extra features worth it?  Of course I want it to have everything, and having blank buttons drives me crazy, but am I going to spend a butt load and it not be worth it when I could just get a SLT with just a few features, or get an AT4 without any extra packages?  - Not in my opinion.  I have the Custom and am perfectly happy.
  9. If you got the AT4 do you wish you would have got a Denali or saved money and got a SLT?  N/A
  10. What is your favorite feature of the truck. - It tows my fifth wheel.
  11. Does the SLT come with the multipro tailgate?  All of them that I have found online do not have it, but the brochure says that it is standard on the SLT, AT4, and Denali - No idea.

Sounds to me like you're going to spend a lot more money than you need to.  A 1500 would be a smoother ride and tow a 7500lb travel trailer a few times/year just fine.  If you want the truck go for it, but don't convince yourself you NEED it to tow this specific camper.

44 minutes ago, Patrick Morgan said:

I am looking to purchase a Sierra 2500 in the near future.  I am trying to decide between the SLT, AT4, and Denali.  I am leaning towards the AT4 because it seems like the best price for features.  It will probably see very little to no off road action.  I can load up a SLT and it is only a few hundred less than the AT4 with more features.  I am going to use it as a daily driver, but the main reason that I am getting it is that I tow a camper a few times a year.  I have a Kodiak 291RESL that I currently tow with my 2002 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L.  The camper is 6,800 lbs dry and we probably load it to 7500, but we are really careful about what we put in it.  The Escalade has a GCVWR of 14,000lbs and that comes quick.  If I was just towing on flat ground it would do fine, but it is almost impossible to keep speed going up hills.  It has the same 6.0L that the older 2500s have, but it only has three gears and an OD, so the gears are a little too tall for towing.  I have a few questions that I can not find online. I would like to get a gas 2500 because of the price but all the reviews that I can find are for the Diesel.  If any of you with an AT4 can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll answer ones I can.

1. Is there a need for the Heavy Duty Front Spring / Camper package and can it be added on later?  It is not that much ($45), but I am having trouble finding one with it installed.

A lot more than $45 after the fact.  You could always find one with VYU plow prep as that gets the same front springs.  Good to have either package but not 100% necessary for a tow behind camper.    

1. Is it taller than the other Sierra 2500s?  I read that it has a 2" lift.

The 2 inch lift thing is only on the 1/2 ton.  HD all ride the same height.  

1. Would it be better to spend the extra $1k and get the 3500?  I have heard that the ride is very similar.

If you need the extra payload it would be worth it but that's up to you.  Your trailer isn't so heavy to say go for it but if you've got plans for a larger trailer, might be.    

1. In your opinion are all of the extra features worth it?  Of course I want it to have everything, and having blank buttons drives me crazy, but am I going to spend a butt load and it not be worth it when I could just get a SLT with just a few features, or get an AT4 without any extra packages?

That's all up to you and what you'd want out of it as far as features.  If its within 1-2k difference in price, might be worth it.  Its a LOT harder to add back in content if you get a truck that's got less however.  

1. If you got the AT4 do you wish you would have got a Denali or saved money and got a SLT?

AT4 = SLT.  AT4 is based on the SLT trim.  99.9% of the options available are the same.  

1. Does the SLT come with the multipro tailgate?  All of them that I have found online do not have it, but the brochure says that it is standard on the SLT, AT4, and Denali

Should be standard and then the option to delete it when ordering.  

A max trailer package 1/2 ton would probably be worth a look as well.  They usually have a strong payload 1800-2200lbs depending on cab and options.  

Edited by newdude

The camper package / heavy front suspension is not necessary.  This is more for pickup campers.  The previous post is not accurate as being same as slow plow prep.  F60 goes the next size up torsion bar and FGAWR.  Snow plow prep goes to 5600 lb FGAWR on gas and 6000 lb on diesel.  This can be 1 to 3 sizes difference depending on model.

Fuel economy is around 16 highway and 12 in city.  I have been getting about 13.5 combined.  Towing varies alot of drag, load, and speed you drive.

#iworkforGM 

I used my 2500's 'mostly' for the daily drivers.

Running run lower tire pressure (especially rear) when unloaded will improve the ride. 

I don't have torque/HP numbers for a 2002 6.0, but the diesel today has significantly higher numbers than in 2002.

I'd expect that with the powertrain improvements (transmission and powerplant) that you'd have a much better towing experience than the '02. 

Imho, in the 2500 world the SLT/AT4/Denali decision is mostly about styling -  including in the interior.  More stuff might be standard on higher trims, but generally can be added to the lower trims.  Order guide orders them SLT - AT4 - Denali  

Downloading the brochure from GM might make comparisons easier than doing a bunch of design/build trials on the website.

What is the LED perimeter lighting that comes with the power retractable running boards?  Is that the white led lights on the mirrors?  Also I can not find an AT4 anywhere around me.  Would I get a good Since of the truck if I drove a gas Denali before I ordered an AT4, or is it different to drive?

Edited by Patrick Morgan

A few things to note, an AT4 comes standard with tow/camping mirrors and Z71 off road suspension with skid plates and more aggressive treaded tires. These are all essentials I feel are needed on a tow vehicle. I hated that I had to upgrade the tires on my 2016 because anytime I got on wet grass or slight mud the truck would slip all over. Plus I like the looks of the AT4 too.