L83/ LT1 intake manifold/tb swap

On 3/31/2021 at 9:29 AM, truckguy82 said:

Here’s a thread I made on the camaro forums about lt1 vs l86 intake.

well the msd intake is an expensive intake mani upgrade to the lt1.

so there’s lt1 < msd < ported msd

and the l86 intake mani did a better job than the ported msd

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543457

But who ported the MSD intake?  There have been cases where porting actually has hurt the MSD performance over stock, due to the person doing the porting not being good at what they do.  Now if it was a Mamo ported MSD, that's a different story.  

I have an MSD on my LS7 and I know I'm leaving a good 20 RWHP on the table not having Mamo port it - leaving another 15-20 RWHP more due to the stock TB (car has ported heads and a big cam, so it can make use of the extra airflow).  

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally installed the l86 manifold and tb. The people online weren’t lying about the Christmas tree clips for the wiring harness at the rear of the manifold cover being a bish to remove. I wouldn’t find my trim tool either. Anyways, a few knicks later and it’s finally done. I went out last night to give it a boot but there were cops everywhere so I couldn’t really give it to observe any differences. I’ll give it a go again today. Hopefully it’s noticeable. 

• Like 1

So after driving with the new throttle body/ manifold I think I can feel a bit of a difference? Lols. It does seem to make a slightly different sound with the cai. I have the bdx hand held tuner with it. I haven’t been able to actually get a proper tune yet. It kind of seems a tad slower out of the hole...is this normal? Or does it need more gas (keeping in mind that the bdx may help with delivering more gas)

from real engine dyno test , there isnt any much power to be gained until you get past 4500 rpm with the L83 manifold and stock cam. you need to add more fuel to meet the extra bump is airflow up top,  the next thing to adjust  is  the PE, Power enrichment needs to activate at 60% throttle on the truck, this is   "free"  10hp ,GM disables on factory trucks.  DOnt use a hand held tuner, take it to someone who has HPtuners .

the next cheapest power adder is the e85 retrofit kit if your missing the sensor,  cheapest 20-30 hp you can buy

then next big bump in power is the L83 BrianTooley stage 3 cam as it will surpass the top end airflow of the stock cam, and complliment the L86 manifolds higher flow.  engine dyno made 40-50 hp with the stage 3 and zero loss to the bottom end.

after this is done , I would do long tube headers and catless exhaust... retune...  should be able to make 100hp with the right bolt ons, your almost there. dont stop now!

Edited by pokismoki

4 hours ago, pokismoki said:

from real engine dyno test , there isnt any much power to be gained until you get past 4500 rpm with the L83 manifold and stock cam. you need to add more fuel to meet the extra bump is airflow up top,  the next thing to adjust  is  the PE, Power enrichment needs to activate at 60% throttle on the truck, this is   "free"  10hp ,GM disables on factory trucks.  DOnt use a hand held tuner, take it to someone who has HPtuners .

the next cheapest power adder is the e85 retrofit kit if your missing the sensor,  cheapest 20-30 hp you can buy

then next big bump in power is the L83 BrianTooley stage 3 cam as it will surpass the top end airflow of the stock cam, and complliment the L86 manifolds higher flow.  engine dyno made 40-50 hp with the stage 3 and zero loss to the bottom end.

after this is done , I would do long tube headers and catless exhaust... retune...  should be able to make 100hp with the right bolt ons, your almost there. dont stop now!

4 hours ago, pokismoki said:

A cam is lots and lots of labor.

and 

Supercharger>all that ******

supercharger is great too, but has issues for daily driving IMOP.. and will cost $8-10,000 done correctly, and made reliable..

If your after 80-100hp the cam option with DOD delete, and e85 sensor and tuned is the way to go, $4-5000  

both options will require you finding a quality shop thats experienced, and not gonna mess up your driveline, make sure they have Liabilty insurance on workmanship and atleast a 1-3 month warrantee

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

supercharger is great too, but has issues for daily driving IMOP.. and will cost $8-10,000 done correctly, and made reliable..

If your after 80-100hp the cam option with DOD delete, and e85 sensor and tuned is the way to go, $4-5000  

both options will require you finding a quality shop thats experienced, and not gonna mess up your driveline, make sure they have Liabilty insurance on workmanship and atleast a 1-3 month warrantee

What’s the e-85 sensor about 

1 hour ago, meirikm said:

What’s the e-85 sensor about 

so you can run Alcohol(ethanol) based fuel, the stock truck ecu has the fuel/timing mapping for the e-85 sensor ready to go, no tune needed , but you need a tuner to switch it on in the ecu if the truck never had it installed from GM. this is the cheapest power upgrade you can make besides the activation of PE in the ecu.. you can expect to get 8-10mpg with PE and on e-85. stock motor should be close to 390-400hp on this alone.

• Like 1