Biggest truck buying regret?

KARNUT

1994 Ram one ton with an automatic. After my 91 Ram with a five speed the 94 was a dog. To make matters worse the transmission lines would vibrate apart. After many trips or tows to the dealer they gave me my money back. Of course that only was good for another Ram. That led me to my second regret a 95 V-10. They said it was as tough as a Cummins. It wasn’t. Boom. New engine under warranty. Quickly traded in for my third biggest regret a 97 Ford diesel automatic. All this time my 91 Ram was still performing flawlessly. We kept that almost 20 years. One repaint and little else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had two 1999 Rams. 1500 4x4 318/ 5 speed and a 2500 2WD CTD/ auto. Rust was the only issue that got to either of them. Great trucks. My biggest regret is probably my 19. These trucks were not ready for prime time. Shoulda held off for what the 2022 is gonna be.

• Like 1

Not buying a Suburban. Would've made family trips a bit easier, but at the time we bought the truck we were planning on buying a travel trailer. That has since changed. Should've waited to get a Suburban with the 3.0 diesel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Not buying a Suburban. Would've made family trips a bit easier, but at the time we bought the truck we were planning on buying a travel trailer. That has since changed. Should've waited to get a Suburban with the 3.0 diesel.

At least you can put a shell or cap on the truck.

• 2 weeks later...

At least you can put a shell or cap on the truck.

Others can, but I cannot. I have the sport bar. Besides, a cap wouldn't solve the issue that would call for a Suburban. My wife won't drive my truck, and insists on taking her car on trips. Problem is, her car won't fit everything and everybody for long trips. She also struggles to drive 400 miles in one day. We end up taking 2 cars because of my wife. Had I just got a Suburban there wouldn't be a need for 2 cars on one trip.

Others can, but I cannot. I have the sport bar. Besides, a cap wouldn't solve the issue that would call for a Suburban. My wife won't drive my truck, and insists on taking her car on trips. Problem is, her car won't fit everything and everybody for long trips. She also struggles to drive 400 miles in one day. We end up taking 2 cars because of my wife. Had I just got a Suburban there wouldn't be a need for 2 cars on one trip.  

I’ve owned both. Very little difference driving a pickup or a suburban. When I had a shell my truck looked like a suburban. My current truck is an Avalanche which is based on a suburban. The cab area is the same. I think I would remove the light bar.

I’ve owned both. Very little difference driving a pickup or a suburban. When I had a shell my truck looked like a suburban. My current truck is an Avalanche which is based on a suburban. The cab area is the same. I think I would remove the light bar.

I use the lightbar, so it, and the sport bar it's mounted on, stay. A bed cap is no go. I have a Trail Boss, and unlike most Trail Boss Silverados, mine sees trails and dirt. My neighbor is constantly telling me I should head out to Superstition Mountain with him. He has a Custom Trail Boss. I agree. I don't see a Suburban being capable of doing what the Trail Boss, even if it's a Yukon XL AT4. However, a Trail Boss can't fit the whole family and gear for the trips. Either the wife gets left behind, or the dog. The dog would win every time. Maybe she should replace her Traverse with a Suburban??? She won't.

I use the lightbar, so it, and the sport bar it's mounted on, stay. A bed cap is no go. I have a Trail Boss, and unlike most Trail Boss Silverados, mine sees trails and dirt. My neighbor is constantly telling me I should head out to Superstition Mountain with him. He has a Custom Trail Boss. I agree. I don't see a Suburban being capable of doing what the Trail Boss, even if it's a Yukon XL AT4. However, a Trail Boss can't fit the whole family and gear for the trips. Either the wife gets left behind, or the dog. The dog would win every time. Maybe she should replace her Traverse with a Suburban??? She won't.

I guess I miss understood. I thought you were looking to trade for a suburban. So you could take one vehicle and your wife could possibly drive it too. So I was pointing out there’s little difference as far as behind the wheel. I’ll read it again.[emoji106]

I guess I miss understood. I thought you were looking to trade for a suburban. So you could take one vehicle and your wife could possibly drive it too. So I was pointing out there’s little difference as far as behind the wheel. I’ll read it again.[emoji106]

The desire is to take 1 vehicle and not have the wife drive. I could cover double the distance in one day. For example, instead of taking 2 days to go from San Diego to Salt Lake City, she could sleep while I drive and get it done in 1.

• Like 1

The desire is to take 1 vehicle and not have the wife drive. I could cover double the distance in one day. For example, instead of taking 2 days to go from San Diego to Salt Lake City, she could sleep while I drive and get it done in 1. 

Could you get a small 6x8 enclosed trailer to carry everything? It's a butt load better than driving two vehicles.

Could you get a small 6x8 enclosed trailer to carry everything? It's a butt load better than driving two vehicles.
That's big enough to forgo the hotel, too. Just mount some fold up beds to the walls. I could use an outdoor shower, and charcoal grill every meal. My wife would not support this.

6×8 might be a bit overkill. Maybe a 4×6? Either way, I have 1 big issue that creates. Neighborhood won't allow trailers to be stored on the property. Yay, military housing (/sarcasm). I've been on the list for trailer storage at a nearby base since February. When I got on the list I was told it was about 5 months wait. Still gotta figure out what to do with the wife though. The dog normally rides shotgun, and is rather have him there. The look i get from him when I pet his head is much better than the wife gives when I do the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's big enough to forgo the hotel, too. Just mount some fold up beds to the walls. I could use an outdoor shower, and charcoal grill every meal. My wife would not support this.

6×8 might be a bit overkill. Maybe a 4×6? Either way, I have 1 big issue that creates. Neighborhood won't allow trailers to be stored on the property. Yay, military housing (/sarcasm). I've been on the list for trailer storage at a nearby base since February. When I got on the list I was told it was about 5 months wait. Still gotta figure out what to do with the wife though. The dog normally rides shotgun, and is rather have him there. The look i get from him when I pet his head is much better than the wife gives when I do the same.

Oh, the wifey is easy, a jump seat in the bed and an umbrella for if I rains.

Haha.
  • Haha 1