Rear suspension way too low for off road

I am shocked that no one is talking about this , how can an off road SUV have this , its way too low , i’ve thinking about buying a new Z71 Tahoe , but after seeing this i am a bit concerned , anyone knows if it will effect off roading?

0770B49F-8A27-4593-AD93-49A8706BF972.png

If you are buying one of these to off road where that piece would get hung up you need to buy something else. With the IRS and a very poor excuse for a LSD ( unless you get the eLsd in the gmc's) these heavy, non articulating suvs will suck. This is coming from someone who owns a z71 tahoe, but I know its very limited in its off road capabilities.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Tahoe Z71 in middle east does come standard with eLSD like the yukon but i know its not a real locker , i asked the dealerships and they the same reply its the component is very strong but dont drive too fast , And its not covered under warranty i guess i’ll check the TB or sierra AT4

Edited by A muz

The mechanical LRD in the Tahoe's is a tried and true bulletproof one.  I've had 3 with extensive offroad use in two tahoes and a silverado.  The 21's is strong.  But as mentioned, if you're looking for ground clearance, Z71 or not, the Tahoe is not your vehicle.  While the air suspension can give you 2 inches in approach, it won't do anything with clearance of the suspension parts.

The mechanical LRD in the Tahoe's is a tried and true bulletproof one.  I've had 3 with extensive offroad use in two tahoes and a silverado.  The 21's is strong.  But as mentioned, if you're looking for ground clearance, Z71 or not, the Tahoe is not your vehicle.  While the air suspension can give you 2 inches in approach, it won't do anything with clearance of the suspension parts.
From my understanding this is not a G80 in the Fullsize suvs. Everyone has seen TFLs offroad video where they could not get both rear tires to spin and 4wheeler said something similar in their 4wd suv of the year test.

The Tahoe in middle east does come with eLSD like the yukon but i know its not a real locker , i asked the dealerships and they the same reply its the component is very strong but dont drive too fast , And its covered under warranty i guess i’ll check the TB or sierra AT4
Good info, i didn't know you could get the eLSD in the tahoe even in the ME. [emoji106]

i dont need a jeep and its not a very good car especially for the price , a rubicon has the same price as a Z71 tahoe which is ridiculous i’d rather buy a big comfy suv with less capability off road than that plastic they call jeep , anyway i’ll just keep looking if the aftermarket has something for that low component in the Tahoe or just stick with a truck 

• Like 1

I’ve spent most of my working life off road following 4WD tractors on pipelines. Other than BFG upgrades. Standard big three 4WDS did the trick. A few were SUVs. One was even a trailblazer ss. I even climbed hills the were hard to walk. Most over built 4WDS were for the owners amusement. If you’re into rock climbing or mud bogging there are vehicles for that. The suv mentioned here would be just fine off roading with just a little common sense. Like the old Johnny Cash song. When it comes to off roading. I’ve been everywhere man. Standard factory off road package is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 10:19 PM, A muz said:

I am shocked that no one is talking about this , how can an off road SUV have this , its way too low , i’ve thinking about buying a new Z71 Tahoe , but after seeing this i am a bit concerned , anyone knows if it will effect off roading?

0770B49F-8A27-4593-AD93-49A8706BF972.png

99% of owners will be just fine off-roading in them 99% of the time.  So instead of one pumpkin hanging low, you have two shock mounts.  Don't worry about it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, swathdiver said:

99% of owners will be just fine off-roading in them 99% of the time.  So instead of one pumpkin hanging low, you have two shock mounts.  Don't worry about it.

Its actually 12cm off the ground do you know how low that is ? A can of coke will hit those arms , its becoming a very big subject here in the middle east alot of people are avoiding the new tahoes/yukons the sales seems to be so low that the dealers are getting crazy by putting ads everywhere , crazy discounts , unbelievable maintenance free for 3 years if you buy it , i really hope GM look at it and try to do something about it, i am not sure if the sales are low but i sure dont see alot of it which pretty sad the new tahoe looks amazing such an iconic suv 

These things are not meant for real off-roading. They are meant for getting around comfortably, while also being able to navigate the rutty deer lease-type trails that most users drive these on. 

It's a 5800# giant. You can't take this thing up Black Bear pass. But it would work well and comfortably on the Alpine Loop, e.g. 

I've seen more Z71 Tahoes than any other trim here in suburban DFW. Mostly driven by women. GM went for the PERCEPTION of off-road here. That's what matters to a majority of Tahoe buyers. Not REAL off-road capacities. 

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 11:23 AM, econometrics said:

GM went for the PERCEPTION of off-road here. That's what matters to a majority of Tahoe buyers. Not REAL off-road capacities. 

To be fair the Z71 front gives a better approach angle so you won't hit the front bumper on forest trails while driving the truck to go hiking or hunting. That's probably enough for most Tahoe buyers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fatkat said:

To be fair the Z71 front gives a better approach angle so you won't hit the front bumper on forest trails while driving the truck to go hiking or hunting. That's probably enough for most Tahoe buyers.

True. And the adjustable air-ride suspension's increased travel also helps. That's a legit feature that's valuable when going off the pavement. 

• Like 1