fuel type for 6.2

3 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

Have you ever tried it? Trust me if you have the 6.2 and disable esc and traction control you will blow the tires off when you nail it. Ask me how i know. Sure if you put a decent drag radial on there and warm them up you could get them to bite, but on the stock duratracs...no way.

I went from a 2020 5.3 10 speed trail boss to a 2021 6.2 10 speed trail boss. All i can say is i will never go back to a 5.3 again. I never thought there would be this much of a difference between the two. Just the overall drivability of the 6.2 is amazing. You have so much more tq on hand through out the rpm range. I almost always run 93 but even if you want to run 87 it will still embarrass any stock 5.3 out there. 

Not with my at4 but drag raced my srt-10 which had more power and i never had an issue. Then again i was running summer tires, not AT tires so yea, i can see some spin if the track isnt prepped well. My track is always prepped awesome. 

Can anyone explain to me how these t-cases work so that they are still able to engage or disengage 4wd while under a full throttle load at, say, a drag strip by simply pushing the button when you feel like it? Can anyone confirm that it actually does in fact go from 4wd to 2wd under full throttle acceleration and not just turns the light off and waits for the load to be removed? Or that putting it in 4wd auto will engage the front axle while the front and rear tires are turning at different speeds?

This all seems like a great way to scatter a T-case across a drag strip.

3 hours ago, Robby James said:

A recommendation is NOT a requirement.

It will not damage the engine to run 87 as you stated the engineering department designed it, knock sensors and all.😀

Recommended Fuel (6.2L V8 Engine)

Object ID: 4196747Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 93 — (R+M)/2 — is highly recommended for best performance and fuel economy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rated as low as 87 can be used. Using unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane, however, will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy. If knocking occurs, use a gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as possible, otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 93 octane rating, the engine needs service.

Do not use any fuel labeled E85 or FlexFuel. Do not use gasoline with ethanol levels greater than 15% by volume.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

Not with my at4 but drag raced my srt-10 which had more power and i never had an issue. Then again i was running summer tires, not AT tires so yea, i can see some spin if the track isnt prepped well. My track is always prepped awesome. 

How did you heat the tires up or clean them off at least if the truck didn't have enough power to do a burnout?

Edited by SILVER SLED

11 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

How did you heat the tires up or clean them off at least if the truck didn't have enough power to do a burnout?

Pointless in doing a burnout on street tires, it wont do ******. I went around the waterbox. I did burnouts the first few times out by using the brake a little and hit the gas. 60’ never changed between doing a burnout and not doing a burnout

7527C322-C4CB-47C9-A8B4-2A71E9554D36.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

Pointless in doing a burnout on street tires, it wont do ******. I went around the waterbox. I did burnouts the first few times out by using the brake a little and hit the gas. 60’ never changed between doing a burnout and not doing a burnout

7527C322-C4CB-47C9-A8B4-2A71E9554D36.jpeg

I never went through water box either, but on my older not awd vehicles I'd at least spin them for a second or two to clean any debris, stones or what ever off of them.  The track I went to most had a dirt/grass "pit" area and the tires would attract some debris.  

I don't know how you couldn't mash the pedal and not spin the tires.  My current stock truck in 4wd high and my stockish  all wheel drive TBSS has chirped the tire for a second or so launching.  I've also noticed that on a prepped track, once you spin the tires, it's all over, I'd have to completely get out of it to get traction back.  On the street, back road, if I'd spin the tires, I could hold the gas pedal steady until the tires quickly caught up and go from there.  

16 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

I never went through water box either, but on my older not awd vehicles I'd at least spin them for a second or two to clean any debris, stones or what ever off of them.  The track I went to most had a dirt/grass "pit" area and the tires would attract some debris.  

I don't know how you couldn't mash the pedal and not spin the tires.  My current stock truck in 4wd high and my stockish  all wheel drive TBSS has chirped the tire for a second or so launching.  I've also noticed that on a prepped track, once you spin the tires, it's all over, I'd have to completely get out of it to get traction back.  On the street, back road, if I'd spin the tires, I could hold the gas pedal steady until the tires quickly caught up and go from there.  

What was your tire pressure set to?  

6 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

30ish on the awd cars.  Lower on the rear driver cars.  Either way, how could you not spin the tires at will on your truck.  

Edited by SILVER SLED

4 hours ago, Robby James said:

A recommendation is NOT a requirement.

It will not damage the engine to run 87 as you stated the engineering department designed it, knock sensors and all.😀

I didn’t say running 87 would damage it, I said it didn’t make sense. People don’t bat an eye at spending 50k+ on a truck, $2500 on the engine alone. But when they get to the gas pump, all of the sudden that 20 cents extra is financial suicide? Sounds pretty goofy, no? 🙂

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

30ish on the awd cars.  Lower on the rear driver cars.  Either way, how could you not spin the tires at will on your truck.  

Not sure, maybe really good track prep. With my SRT-10 i would left foot brake, rpms up 2000, tree drops and i plant the gas peddle to the floor. 

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I didn’t say running 87 would damage it, I said it didn’t make sense. People don’t bat an eye at spending 50k+ on a truck, $2500 on the engine alone. But when they get to the gas pump, all of the sudden that 20 cents extra is financial suicide? Sounds pretty goofy, no? 🙂

This is so true!!!  If someone is seriously worried about the $5 to $10 in savings on each fill-up then they shouldn’t be buying the truck with the 6.2L engine or the truck costing over $50k+ in the first place. I have only put 89 in my truck once because I screwed up and didn’t fill up in a bigger city and got caught in a small town with no premium. Truck ran fine but I didn’t beat on it or race it while I had lower grade in it. It’s a just a piece of mind knowing, I wanted the 6.2L with all its power…..I USE PREMIUM! 

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

This is so true!!!  If someone is seriously worried about the $5 to $10 in savings on each fill-up then they shouldn’t be buying the truck with the 6.2L engine or the truck costing over $50k+ in the first place. I have only put 89 in my truck once because I screwed up and didn’t fill up in a bigger city and got caught in a small town with no premium. Truck ran fine but I didn’t beat on it or race it while I had lower grade in it. It’s a just a piece of mind knowing, I wanted the 6.2L with all its power…..I USE PREMIUM! 

Its not going to break the bank but why spend more money when its not needed?  I personally wanted the 5.3 but didnt want the 8 speed with the shitty reviews i heard. So i got the 6.2 and so no need to soend the extra $20-30 per tank just to go from one red light to the other

Just now, Snakes709 said:

Its not going to break the bank but why spend more money when its not needed?  I personally wanted the 5.3 but didnt want the 8 speed with the shitty reviews i heard. So i got the 6.2 and so no need to soend the extra $20-30 per tank just to go from one red light to the other

To each their own!  I don’t know where your getting your calculations of $20 to $30 for a fill up. I’ve owned a 6.2L for 3 years and the most I have paid for in difference from premium (91) to super unleaded (89) has been $12. It’s been roughly $8 per fill up the past year and half. So, you can think what you want but GM is a lot smarter than you or me and if they RECOMMEND it, then I would suggest using it, plus, if you have issues with engine and you weren’t running premium in it, “who knows”, they could say you nullified your warranty?!?  

My step dad got the 5.3L and 10 speed combo in his SLT and absolutely loves it. I can say it’s so much better than my 2016 and 2017 Sierra SLT 5.3L in the K2s.  I didn’t know Chevy Silverado didn’t offer the 10 speed with the 5.3L. Is that GMC exclusive??

and yes the 8 speed was junk in my 2017 with the 5.3L and the 2018 with the 6.2L. It clunked and jarred all the time. 

8 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

To each their own!  I don’t know where your getting your calculations of $20 to $30 for a fill up. I’ve owned a 6.2L for 3 years and the most I have paid for in difference from premium (91) to super unleaded (89) has been $12. It’s been roughly $8 per fill up the past year and half. So, you can think what you want but GM is a lot smarter than you or me and if they RECOMMEND it, then I would suggest using it, plus, if you have issues with engine and you weren’t running premium in it, “who knows”, they could say you nullified your warranty?!?  

Im in edmonton alberta. Gas just went up and havent seen what premium is at right now but it was 113.9/L and 94 was 146.9. Works out to about $30 canadian. 87 just jumped to 131.9, sometimes premium doesnt go up when regular does.