fuel type for 6.2

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I know you think it’s silly to have a fast truck. That’s fine. But the purpose of the 6.2 option is performance. The only reason it exists. So if someone buys it, they should want everything they can get out of their added investment. 

Put it different way while beating this dead horse…If you’re that concerned about saving a few bucks per fill up by running the wrong gas in your 6.2, wouldn’t it be smarter to save $2500 and get the 5.3 instead? It not only uses 87, but it uses a lot less of it too!

Wrong type of performance though. It's performance is targeting towing/hauling power, not racing from one red light to the other. As long as the engine doesnt knock/ping, there is no need to run higher octane for just driving around town. For me that is $25-30 per tank more just to go to my physio appointments and other random ******. Complete waste of money to use 94 if im not towing/hauling or off roading.

Edited by Snakes709
  • Like 1

Arguing just to argue at this point. Good grief. Performance is performance. Whether it’s so you can accelerate faster with a trailer or accelerate faster without a trailer. Makes no difference, I left it a broad term.

Besides, I don’t think their engineering department specifies how you need to use the power. Their engineering department does specify a fuel type though.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Snakes709 said:

Wrong type of performance though. It's performance is targeting towing/hauling power, not racing from one red light to the other. As long as the engine doesnt knock/ping, there is no need to run higher octane for just driving around town. For me that is $25-30 per tank more just to go to my physio appointments and other random ******. Complete waste of money to use 94 if im not towing/hauling or off roading.

Wow, $25-30 more per tank? Premium must be spendy in Canada. The price difference from 87 to 92 octane (highest I can find here) is 20-25 cents per gallon or only about $5-$6 per tank.

• Like 1

Took my 6.2 Trail Boss with 93 in it to the local 1/8th mile track tonight.

My best time was a 9.1 at 76 mph. I smoked a new hemi truck and a 2003 mustang gt. This guy had a 10 speed in the 5.0. I launched in auto4 and just stomped it off the line. I had him until he hit 3rd.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

I know you think it’s silly to have a fast truck. That’s fine. But the purpose of the 6.2 option is performance. The only reason it exists. So if someone buys it, they should want everything they can get out of their added investment. 

Put it different way while beating this dead horse…If you’re that concerned about saving a few bucks per fill up by running the wrong gas in your 6.2, wouldn’t it be smarter to save $2500 and get the 5.3 instead? It not only uses 87, but it uses a lot less of it too!

But as others have said, and the whole point of this post, it's not the wrong type of gas if the 6.2L engine runs fine with 87 and you're just running around town or whatever. If you need the performance (towing or hauling for example) then yeah, maybe fill up with premium because you're putting more load on the engine and you want to prevent detonation and pings and whatever.

And yes, I did get the 5.3L because the hauling and towing I'm doing works just fine with the 5.3 and I save money. 😎

11 hours ago, wurgs said:

Wow, $25-30 more per tank? Premium must be spendy in Canada. The price difference from 87 to 92 octane (highest I can find here) is 20-25 cents per gallon or only about $5-$6 per tank.

Yea, gas just jumped the other day. Sometimes it only jumps for regular and not premium so might be closer to each other, not sure. But it was 113.9/L for 87 and 146.9 for 94. 

This has me curious never having taken any truck to a drag strip, 4WD hi is better than Auto? intuitively I would think Auto would be better as it could give you 4WD when the rear wheels don't give enough traction then disable the front wheels after the truck hooks up. I guess that's not what most have found to be the best in the real world? I've also heard it said elsewhere to launch in 4WD HI then manually switch it to 2WD after you get going for the best time. the extra traction will help a lot getting off the line, but once you're moving the front diff is only unnecessary drag. curious what others think, I'd love to take the Denali out some day to see how it does.

Is it the case that in AWD, the computers have to detect wheel slip before it will engage the forward diff, and those moments of less than optimal traction are enough to make 4WD the better choice even if the front diff isn't helping things at all once you're up to speed?

Edited by kodiakdenali

23 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

Yea, gas just jumped the other day. Sometimes it only jumps for regular and not premium so might be closer to each other, not sure. But it was 113.9/L for 87 and 146.9 for 94. 

Thats a huge difference. I would definately be running 87 then. 

35 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

This has me curious never having taken any truck to a drag strip, 4WD hi is better than Auto? intuitively I would think Auto would be better as it could give you 4WD when the rear wheels don't give enough traction then disable the front wheels after the truck hooks up. I guess that's not what most have found to be the best in the real world? I've also heard it said elsewhere to launch in 4WD HI then manually switch it to 2WD after you get going for the best time. the extra traction will help a lot getting off the line, but once you're moving the front diff is only unnecessary drag. curious what others think, I'd love to take the Denali out some day to see how it does.

Is it the case that in AWD, the computers have to detect wheel slip before it will engage the forward diff, and those moments of less than optimal traction are enough to make 4WD the better choice even if the front diff isn't helping things at all once you're up to speed?

I highly doubt any sort of 4wd is needed. These trucks dont make enough power/torque to break the tires loose on a prepped surface. Even if they did, dropping the tire pressure down would benefit more then using 4hi

27 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

I highly doubt any sort of 4wd is needed. These trucks dont make enough power/torque to break the tires loose on a prepped surface. Even if they did, dropping the tire pressure down would benefit more then using 4hi

He has a Whipple so he definitely needs 4WD. 😮 But even without the blower I think it’s pretty much required for the best launch. These trucks come out of the factory on tires that are hard as a rock for fuel economy. Couple that with no weight in the bed, especially if you drop the spare out.

General consensus is it’s best to launch from 4H and then shift to 2WD once you get off the line. 4 auto allows a slight amount of wheel spin at first. Plus since the front axle is always engaged, you don’t reduce any drag using auto instead of 4 high. On the street, I always use auto for launches, but you kinda gotta turn sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snakes709 said:

Have you ever tried it? Trust me if you have the 6.2 and disable esc and traction control you will blow the tires off when you nail it. Ask me how i know. Sure if you put a decent drag radial on there and warm them up you could get them to bite, but on the stock duratracs...no way.

I went from a 2020 5.3 10 speed trail boss to a 2021 6.2 10 speed trail boss. All i can say is i will never go back to a 5.3 again. I never thought there would be this much of a difference between the two. Just the overall drivability of the 6.2 is amazing. You have so much more tq on hand through out the rpm range. I almost always run 93 but even if you want to run 87 it will still embarrass any stock 5.3 out there. 

Edited by Firehawk99

16 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Arguing just to argue at this point. Good grief. Performance is performance. Whether it’s so you can accelerate faster with a trailer or accelerate faster without a trailer. Makes no difference, I left it a broad term.

Besides, I don’t think their engineering department specifies how you need to use the power. Their engineering department does specify a fuel type though.

A recommendation is NOT a requirement.

It will not damage the engine to run 87 as you stated the engineering department designed it, knock sensors and all.😀

I bought the 6.2 for the performance when I WANT or NEED it and for the resale value as I never keep my trucks very long anyway.

The fuel recommendation is just that, I do use premium most of the time but I don't need to drive like I am in a NASCAR race or pulling 10k# up a mountain pass daily either.