fuel type for 6.2

9 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

My step dad got the 5.3L and 10 speed combo in his SLT and absolutely loves it. I can say it’s so much better than my 2016 and 2017 Sierra SLT 5.3L in the K2s.  I didn’t know Chevy Silverado didn’t offer the 10 speed with the 5.3L. Is that GMC exclusive??

and yes the 8 speed was junk in my 2017 with the 5.3L and the 2018 with the 6.2L. It clunked and jarred all the time. 

When i purchased my 2019 sierra AT4 you could only get the 10 speed with the 6.2 and the 5.3 was 8 speed and i think (not 100% sure) 6 speed. 

2 minutes ago, Snakes709 said:

Im in edmonton alberta. Gas just went up and havent seen what premium is at right now but it was 113.9/L and 94 was 146.9. Works out to about $30 canadian. 87 just jumped to 131.9, sometimes premium doesnt go up when regular does. 

Gotcha!  Ya I’m in the USA, so a little different. Thanks 

1 minute ago, Snakes709 said:

When i purchased my 2019 sierra AT4 you could only get the 10 speed with the 6.2 and the 5.3 was 8 speed and i think (not 100% sure) 6 speed. 

Ugh. That stinks. Ya his is a 2020 SLT and I drove it and was so impressed with how much crisper the throttle response was and the acceleration compared to my K2 trucks. It is truly a night and day difference. 

Yeah, they expanded 10 speed availability, but not until 2020. Chevy gets it in the 5.3 LT TB and 5.3 HC. GMC you can get the 5.3 10 speed in all but the poverty trim. But things have been a little sketchy with all the supplier issues. A lot of the 5.3 trucks that were supposed to 10 speed got stuck with the 8 and a $200 credit. What a deal. 🙃

4 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

This is so true!!!  If someone is seriously worried about the $5 to $10 in savings on each fill-up then they shouldn’t be buying the truck with the 6.2L engine or the truck costing over $50k+ in the first place. I have only put 89 in my truck once because I screwed up and didn’t fill up in a bigger city and got caught in a small town with no premium. Truck ran fine but I didn’t beat on it or race it while I had lower grade in it. It’s a just a piece of mind knowing, I wanted the 6.2L with all its power…..I USE PREMIUM! 

So, perhaps if we all spent 50-60k on our trucks then we should ONLY buy the most expensive tires, wiper blades fuzzy dice and US made replacement windshields as well.

Point being if it made any real difference on a daily basis then perhaps everyone would buy premium or 87 octane.

The 6-8 bucks per tank most likely won't kill anyone on here, but it is stated by the manufacturer that you CAN use 87 without any issues so why not let the owners of each truck decide what they want to use?

The op's question I believe was could you use 87 or not, not everyones' opinion on what an idiot or cheap sob they are for choosing one product over the other.

Just my thoughts as I can burn either and it doesn't matter much to me, I have felt no whopping performance difference running one over the other however I am not racing light to light or doing LSR races at Bonneville either.

Perhaps we should all purchase a horse and execute it so we can take turns beating it at this point.?

• Haha 1

Most trucks I’ve bought I put tunes in requiring premium fuel. My last had the E-85 option. I put reg fuel on trips and E-85 in town. Best of both worlds. Now I have a truck for in town. And a car for trips. 15 mpg in town 30 on trips. 

When I visit my Dad in Iowa 93 cost a dime more than 87. In Illinois it's nearly a dollar more. In Iowa I'd use 93 in Illinois 87. Unless I was towing or pulling stumps of course but running straight down the road....30hp is 30 hp. Combustion controls on motors today would have been the envy of every little boy in the 60's. Look Ma...I don't have to find a SUNOCO or drive to the airport for fuel!! Use it when you need it. Don't pay for it when you don't. Unless sensibility is no longer fashionable. 

Have trouble seeing the sensibility in saving $5 a tank after spending 60 grand on a truck with the largest engine option that you use to get groceries. 

Talk about closing the barn door after the cows got out. The big money is already spent, so enjoy it and get what you paid extra for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

When I visit my Dad in Iowa 93 cost a dime more than 87. In Illinois it's nearly a dollar more. In Iowa I'd use 93 in Illinois 87. Unless I was towing or pulling stumps of course but running straight down the road....30hp is 30 hp. Combustion controls on motors today would have been the envy of every little boy in the 60's. Look Ma...I don't have to find a SUNOCO or drive to the airport for fuel!! Use it when you need it. Don't pay for it when you don't. Unless sensibility is no longer fashionable. 

How can the cost be so different? Because they can.

If I'm getting screwed, I like to be kissed! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Robby James said:

So, perhaps if we all spent 50-60k on our trucks then we should ONLY buy the most expensive tires, wiper blades fuzzy dice and US made replacement windshields as well.

Point being if it made any real difference on a daily basis then perhaps everyone would buy premium or 87 octane.

The 6-8 bucks per tank most likely won't kill anyone on here, but it is stated by the manufacturer that you CAN use 87 without any issues so why not let the owners of each truck decide what they want to use?

The op's question I believe was could you use 87 or not, not everyones' opinion on what an idiot or cheap sob they are for choosing one product over the other.

Just my thoughts as I can burn either and it doesn't matter much to me, I have felt no whopping performance difference running one over the other however I am not racing light to light or doing LSR races at Bonneville either.

Perhaps we should all purchase a horse and execute it so we can take turns beating it at this point.?

Looks like we struck a nerve with this one!?!  You go ahead and choose whatever gas you want little fella. I’m just stating GM knows more than you or I and that I want the best performance out of the truck without ever having to worry about it knocking. Hence, that’s why they state it can run on 87 but “IF” it starts knocking switch fuel.  There is a reason they put this. Remember it is a performance engine that’s in the corvette and camaro!!  That’s why I choose premium fuel. If Cost cutting a few bucks is your proghtive, then by all means do so. As for telling YOU or anyone else what to buy for your truck. That’s your call and your money, but I’m not a penny pusher!  I buy the best, because I want it to last. Plain and simple

Good day

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Maybe next week someone will spend $3000 extra on a Trail Boss and then ask about lowering it 2” to increase MPG. 

LMFAO!  So true! 

42 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

LMFAO!  So true! 

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

Looks like we struck a nerve with this one!?!  You go ahead and choose whatever gas you want little fella. I’m just stating GM knows more than you or I and that I want the best performance out of the truck without ever having to worry about it knocking. Hence, that’s why they state it can run on 87 but “IF” it starts knocking switch fuel.  There is a reason they put this. Remember it is a performance engine that’s in the corvette and camaro!!  That’s why I choose premium fuel. If Cost cutting a few bucks is your proghtive, then by all means do so. As for telling YOU or anyone else what to buy for your truck. That’s your call and your money, but I’m not a penny pusher!  I buy the best, because I want it to last. Plain and simple

Good day

I believe the term you are looking for is "penny pincher" ...lol

And the other word in the English language that you are struggling with is "Prerogative"

Where in that shrunken brain of yours did you come up with "Little Fella"?

Intelligent rapport is obviously beyond your abilities and a public forum is perhaps not the best place to display this as if you remain silent the World can question your intelligence, but when you speak (or type in this case) you expose yourself to everyone😀

I am certainly not in any position to pinch pennies nor will I ever be, if you actually had read my posts you could perhaps with someone explaining them to you what I was saying, The OP asked a question and I gave the correct answer to his question, your contribution to the thread was negligible at best.

Ohhh here you go this will help you out.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/negligible

Perhaps we can get back on track now?

Talk about closing the barn door after the cows got out. 

Damn, now I know what I did wrong😬

So, has the OP come back to check out the "answer" to his question? This bad boy is becoming a novel!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Maybe next week someone will spend $3000 extra on a Trail Boss and then ask about lowering it 2” to increase MPG. 

I mean i have a AT4 and im installing bilstein 5100 for a base sierra to lower it 2”. If i get better fuel economy, bonus. But main reason im doing it so its easier getting in/out with my back injury and so i can load/unload my motorbike without bottoming out on my ramps. Plus i hate how the ass end bounces around. I am curious though what kind of fuel economy changes ill see (if any)

Edited by Snakes709