GM App services - monthly charge??

Got a new ‘21 Sierra AT4.  I “connected” the new vehicle to the app.  It’s showing I have “connected access” for diagnostics, dealer maintenance, and smart driver.

Says I need to pay for “remote access” $14.99/month.  Is that right?  

Was free for at least 5 years on my ‘16.

its only free for 30 days.. if you pay them once and then cancel it  be prepared for the constant emails and  robo calls  offering you a free month to start it again.. its odd you can sign up for there services online or in the Truck with the button  and instantly talk to someone . Calling them to cancel takes over a hour on hold and a Seriously Aggressive UPSALE PUSH when all you want to do is cancel it 

Cars  are becoming Like most software   S .A S  .    

Yes, sadly what you have found is true.

GM/OnStar is missing the boat on this one. I suspect if they offered the services at a MUCH better price point they would pick up a lot of subscribers. Instead they choose to gouge those who buy the services. The services included in the purchase of the vehicle are really pretty useless with the possible exception of the vehicle diagnostics.

I have SiriusXM in 3 vehicles. Why? because they let me negotiate the price down to $5 a month per vehicle. I wouldn't even consider it at the regular $14.99 a month but at $5, I'm in (I live is a small town with few FM choices). If OnStar offered the "Essentials" for $10 a month, instead of $40, I'd have that in 3 vehicles too. They would be making $30 a month off me instead of the $0 they are making now. I probably still would only use it rarely but I would buy it as a type of insurance.

Phone apps cover many of the services provided by OnStar for free and you can access the 5 years free GM road service via the GM customer service number. Put the GM number on speed dial and it's as easy as pushing the OnStar button for road service.

I found during my free OnStar trail periods the only thing I used was the remote entry/start from the phone app (mostly as a novelty, not a necessity). $180 a year so I can basically unlock/start my vehicle from my phone is pretty steep, IMHO.

If you read the threads on OnStar services, you'll see many, if not most, people don't feel it passes the cost-vs-benefit analysis.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RWTJR said:

Yes, sadly what you have found is true.

GM/OnStar is missing the boat on this one. I suspect if they offered the services at a MUCH better price point they would pick up a lot of subscribers. Instead they choose to gouge those who buy the services. The services included in the purchase of the vehicle are really pretty useless with the possible exception of the vehicle diagnostics.

I have SiriusXM in 3 vehicles. Why? because they let me negotiate the price down to $5 a month per vehicle. I wouldn't even consider it at the regular $14.99 a month but at $5, I'm in (I live is a small town with few FM choices). If OnStar offered the "Essentials" for $10 a month, instead of $40, I'd have that in 3 vehicles too. They would be making $30 a month off me instead of the $0 they are making now. I probably still would only use it rarely but I would buy it as a type of insurance.

Phone apps cover many of the services provided by OnStar for free and you can access the 5 years free GM road service via the GM customer service number. Put the GM number on speed dial and it's as easy as pushing the OnStar button for road service.

I found during my free OnStar trail periods the only thing I used was the remote entry/start from the phone app (mostly as a novelty, not a necessity). $180 a year so I can basically unlock/start my vehicle from my phone is pretty steep, IMHO.

If you read the threads on OnStar services, you'll see many, if not most, people don't feel it passes the cost-vs-benefit analysis.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

Thanks for this.  I missed the OnStar threads.

Agree with your sentiment.  I really only want remote lock/unlock and start.  Not worth $180/yr.  Be interested to know what it costs GM.  Feels like succumbing to highway robbery to pay for it. 

It’s same as overcharging for shipping.  

I didn't continue my On-Star subscription because of the cost. The safety and security feature is just like other types of insurance - you're paying for something you might never need. I would subscribe if Chevrolet cut the price in half.

Acura gave me three years of the same type of service for free on my 2021 TLX.