On 7/23/2021 at 4:02 AM, Transient said:

Larger displacement means more weight of metal parts

It’s the same basic block/engine though, the pistons are heavier due to the larger bore, but the stroke is the same, and I wouldn’t think the pistons are 100lbs heavier.  I didn’t think a 350 Chevy weighed more than a 305 Chevy for example.  

On 7/25/2021 at 7:49 PM, SILVER SLED said:

It’s the same basic block/engine though, the pistons are heavier due to the larger bore, but the stroke is the same, and I wouldn’t think the pistons are 100lbs heavier.  I didn’t think a 350 Chevy weighed more than a 305 Chevy for example.  

Is it?  Iirc, the block has the engine displacement size as part of the casting.  The 6.2 litre blocks have a 6.2 sticking out on them. 

3 hours ago, Transient said:

Is it?  Iirc, the block has the engine displacement size as part of the casting.  The 6.2 litre blocks have a 6.2 sticking out on them. 

Yes it is, in the fact you can take a 5.3 out and a 6.2 will bolt right in and can even use the same intake manifold and they both use the same exhaust manifolds. They have the same exterior dimensions, just wondering what makes a 6.2 100lbs heavier.  I can understand a standard 6.2 truck being heavier that a standard 5.3 truck, because I thought the 6.2 trucks come with a bigger rear diff. as std.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 8:49 PM, SILVER SLED said:

Because of the smaller bore, the block and heads are not the same. I don't think gm would use the same amount of material needed to support 6.2l on an engine that only has 5.3l of displacement. There might be some cost reduction in manufacturing but.... I think using less aluminum would still net them more savings. 

On 7/28/2021 at 6:38 AM, SILVER SLED said:

Yes it is, in the fact you can take a 5.3 out and a 6.2 will bolt right in and can even use the same intake manifold and they both use the same exhaust manifolds. They have the same exterior dimensions, just wondering what makes a 6.2 100lbs heavier.  I can understand a standard 6.2 truck being heavier that a standard 5.3 truck, because I thought the 6.2 trucks come with a bigger rear diff. as std.  

The 6.2 has a larger bore than the 5.3, which means the block is wider.  And, the rear is the same size in both trucks.  My 6.2 TB LT has the 3.23 rear.  

On 8/14/2021 at 3:23 AM, Transient said:

The 6.2 has a larger bore than the 5.3, which means the block is wider.  And, the rear is the same size in both trucks.  My 6.2 TB LT has the 3.23 rear.  

I was under the impression that on the LSX/LTX motors only the bore and stroke (rod length) and or crank & heads change to gain the larger cubic inch as they are all sleeved bores.  I have an older LT5 350ci and can go 415ci and have seen 427ci and 441ci with these changes same block. 

Edited by WeGone

On 8/14/2021 at 3:23 AM, Transient said:

The blocks are the same size externally.  

• Like 2