When can you wax?

My new truck has a July 2021 build date, so  at best it’s a few weeks old. Having said that, how long should I wait before I wax it. I may be a little old school, as I thought you needed a good 60 days to let the paint cure. Any suggestions . 

59 minutes ago, Bamacommander said:

My new truck has a July 2021 build date, so  at best it’s a few weeks old. Having said that, how long should I wait before I wax it. I may be a little old school, as I thought you needed a good 60 days to let the paint cure. Any suggestions . 

My wife’s car is 11 years old and still looks new. It’s out all day in Texas heat. Recently she scratched her bumper. While at the body shop she asked about waxing and buffing for protection. We figured a couple hundred bucks worth of detailing. They told her leave it alone. It’s obviously well protected. The most I do besides going through a car wash on a monthly plan 2-3 times a week is spray wax. My newest vehicle is 6 years old. All look like new. Even my two 20 year old vehicles.

• Thanks 1

I painted for a living for quite a few years. The paint is a water based product. Oil base and 2 part epoxy would dry in 24 hours in my experience.

the paint is baked on in the factory and is as cured as it will ever get, wax it day one you are fine.

if you have had paint repairs at a dealer or auto body shop then those need to wait a while before wax 

Absolutely not...Grump... no one is "ceramic coating" out of the stealership without a nice markup

Two part paint is a base and clear

Edited by Rob Mugs

The painting process at the assembly plants and the type of paint used no longer requires any waiting.  Its 2-stge paint (base coat+clear coat) so you are not waxing the paint per se, you are waxing the clear coat finish.

Ps - Anything applied by the dealer is suspect because they often employee inexperienced detail persons to perform these tasks, entry level jobs.  You are better off taking it to Auto Armor or Ziebart than letting some summer help at the dealer touch your paint.

Edited by elcamino
typo

9 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

Absolutely not...Grump... no one is "ceramic coating" out of the stealership without a nice markup

Two part paint is a base and clear

Easy Rob. I wasn't saying they do it for free. I said the dealership will ceramic coat a new paint job. (If you pay them)

:)

Then added the paint was a two pack (colour/clear) and he would be fine.

Whew!!

Edited by Grumpy Bear