09-13 Sierra any good?

Hi everyone I’m looking at sierra 1500s between 09-13 with around 100k miles. I’ve heard the 5.3 is good for about 160 before needing major work done and tranny is good for 200 but idk how much of that is true or if there’s anything I should know. looking at the lower trims like an sle cc 4x4. Any input regarding these trucks would be much appreciated thanks. 

• Like 1

Get the 4.8 if you don’t care about power. It has plenty but by today’s standards, it’s lacking. Just no AFM to worry about. Mine ran great and is still running strong. I had a 2012 Sierra SL CC 4x4. Sold it to a buddy and he’s happy. 

1 hour ago, latreille89 said:

Get the 4.8 if you don’t care about power. It has plenty but by today’s standards, it’s lacking. Just no AFM to worry about. Mine ran great and is still running strong. I had a 2012 Sierra SL CC 4x4. Sold it to a buddy and he’s happy. 

Thanks, good to know if I find one with the 4.8. Most of the ones I found have the 5.3 and my 2016 had the 5.3 I just used a plug in device to bypass the afm. I’m assuming they make a device like for the 14+ models. 

1 hour ago, Nick Pregoni said:

Thanks, good to know if I find one with the 4.8. Most of the ones I found have the 5.3 and my 2016 had the 5.3 I just used a plug in device to bypass the afm. I’m assuming they make a device like for the 14+ models. 

It’s just a matter of how much damage is done by now if the AFM was never shut off. Already a 8 year old truck if you get a 2013. Good luck with the search. 

My personal opinion is to find a 2011-2013 model year. The majority of the kinks are worked out on these trucks but like anything, it could still have no wear and tear issues.

All 5.3 trucks 2010-2013 will have a 6 speed auto. The 4.8's will still have the 4L60e 4 speed transmission.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nick Pregoni said:

Hi everyone I’m looking at sierra 1500s between 09-13 with around 100k miles. I’ve heard the 5.3 is good for about 160 before needing major work done and tranny is good for 200 but idk how much of that is true or if there’s anything I should know. looking at the lower trims like an sle cc 4x4. Any input regarding these trucks would be much appreciated thanks. 

The 2012-2013 models will have Hill Start Assist, Trailer Sway Control and Cruise Grade Braking Normal Mode and Powertrain Grade Braking Normal Mode in 2013.

You might consider skipping the 5.3 and going for the 6.2s which do not have AFM.  All 6.2s come with 9.5" 14-Bolt axles and the NHT versions have 3.73 gears and can tow over 10,000 pounds.

7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

The 2012-2013 models will have Hill Start Assist, Trailer Sway Control and Cruise Grade Braking Normal Mode and Powertrain Grade Braking Normal Mode in 2013.

You might consider skipping the 5.3 and going for the 6.2s which do not have AFM.  All 6.2s come with 9.5" 14-Bolt axles and the NHT versions have 3.73 gears and can tow over 10,000 pounds.

Having the 6.2 would be nice but I don’t do a lot of heavy towing maybe a small boat now and then. If I could get it in an sle I would I’m just not a big fan of those years in slt or Denali trims. 

The 5.3 is a very good engine.  I've had no issue with mine, I have a 2011 Sierra 4z4.  Bought mine with 95k and now have 133k.  As for mileage, I get about 20mpg on a long trip.  The longer the trip and flatter ground gets up to 22mpg.  Local driving in hills where I live, about 17mpg.  As for towing, I had a little concern about the 3.08 rear end pulling a bay boat (total weight about 1800 lbs).  The serv mgr at the dealer I know personally told me to forget about that.  the 5.3 will pull that boat like it wasn't even there.  He was right.  Its got power; the boat is no issue.

Edited by Jworks
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nick Pregoni said:

Having the 6.2 would be nice but I don’t do a lot of heavy towing maybe a small boat now and then. If I could get it in an sle I would I’m just not a big fan of those years in slt or Denali trims. 

Most of them are in SLE trim, SLT is quite rare.  The 6.2 is a whole lot of fun, a 14-second truck that gets 19 mpg on the highway.

The highest rated non NHT trucks are rated for 9,600 pounds with the 3.42 gear, 5.3 or 6.2.  They all also have the 700 watt cooling fans, external transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler.

• Like 1