In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hello

I am trying to figure out which spark plug wires fit my engine, but I couldn’t figure it out.

Mine is 2018 Tahoe Premier 5.3L

I was looking for Accel (part# 9059C) & MSD (part# MSD33829), but for both, some websites claims that it will not fit!

Can someone confirms which may fit so I can buy.

I am welling to use ACDelco sparks plugs

Thanks

https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/spark_plug_wires/accel_ceramic_boot_spark_plug_wires/parts/9059C

https://www.amazon.com/MSD-33829-Spark-Plug-Wire/dp/B01FV3GR3O

The oe wires are best, same goes for plugs. CSP swapped in msd wires on a C7 build and they lost 40 something horsepower compared to acdelco. The msd's had no damage and were functioning properly. Apparently its not all about resistance.

Stay away from Granatelli. Any company that sells a ported maf sensor should be avoided like covid-19! 

Edited by M1ck3y

This is the MSD size that fit my old 2014 5.3L engine:

# 33829

I am running Taylor wires now on my Silverado which I like a lot. Better than MSD. part number is:

# 79613 

I personally don't like the factory wires or plugs. I find both fail way too soon. Replaced every set on over 5 GM trucks before the warrantee ran out usually. Always been happy with the results, and always found the factory sets in bad shape in as little as 40k miles. Would never buy them. I have heard that too low a resistance can lead to misfires, but have not had that issue with the Taylors.   

need resistance in the wires and in the spark plugs, otherwise the coil doesnt charge up fully, you'll get weaker spark. the resistor is apart of the engineering, by holding back the energy until it blows it's load so to speak.. and its needed for noise suppresion so not to interfere with the ecu , radio, bcm, etc..

a points distributer likes low resistance, because its all mechanical and takes time to transfer spark thru the ignition, HEI is different

Edited by pokismoki
12 hours ago, pokismoki said:

need resistance in the wires and in the spark plugs, otherwise the coil doesnt charge up fully,

Spark happens AFTER the coil is charged. Coil near plug systems so have more than enough time to charge...fully. Not one coil per eight but eight coils per eight. Coils fail to charge fully when the time between sparks is less than the rise time of the coil. If what was being said were true then coil on plug systems would not work at all. Right? 

This is basic Ohms' Law once the system 'asks' for the spark. 

Spiral wound wires provide more than enough suppression IF the wrap per inch is high enough. 

• Like 1

why does Honda use a resister plug on their single cylinder thumper dirtbike motors??

if the resister suppresses current, does this mean it improves the voltage spark?

this was informative for me..

Edited by pokismoki
On 9/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, M1ck3y said:

The oe wires are best, same goes for plugs. CSP swapped in msd wires on a C7 build and they lost 40 something horsepower compared to acdelco.

40 Hp wow, is it possible they are giving off so much noise it's effecting the ignition timing. those wires might be designed for Magneto ignition and not HEI COP style

10 hours ago, pokismoki said:

40 Hp wow, is it possible they are giving off so much noise it's effecting the ignition timing. those wires might be designed for Magneto ignition and not HEI COP style

They were the wires MSD specd for the LT1/l86 etc. It was a high horsepower build. I imagine the difference on a stock engine would be minimal.  

When I have time I'll try and find the video on YouTube again.

*Edit*

The focus of the video wasn't about how the msd's lost power so I can't search for it and pull it up. Way too many videos to go through. If someone has an interest in hunting it down, the video was done by complete street performance.

Edited by M1ck3y
On 9/3/2021 at 11:38 PM, pokismoki said:

why does Honda use a resister plug on their single cylinder thumper dirtbike motors??

if the resister suppresses current, does this mean it improves the voltage spark?

this was informative for me..

Current is energy. Voltage is potential. You light a fire with energy. A few millijoules. About 17 millijoules will get it done if everything is perfect. It rarely is. You jump the gap with voltage. Want more voltage increase the gap. Takes about a thousand volts per thousandths of an inch of gap in free air.  What has more resistance than air? Just because a coil can put out 50K volts doesn't mean it will. It will put up what it needs to jump the gap. Not a volt more or less.   

Older English bikes used carbon/cotton wires and non resistor plugs and some dismally weak coils. Kettering ignitions are not bothered by noise. Honda's electronic systems are. They could use a suppression wire or plug but both is never required. They became popular in cars when AM radio got to be a big thing. 

Honda cars. The 4's anyway are coil on plug. There is no wire thus no resistance that is not provided by the plug. By present argument these motors shouldn't run should they? 😉 

Read the Magnacore link M1ck3y6 provided. 

• Like 1