Engine swap puting an 06 5.3 into an 07.

The 06 is built and does not have afm, the 07 is a Tahoe with the flex fuel and afm. I would like to place the 06 into the Tahoe. What would this require? Please and thank you. At the time of swap a buddy is going to build the trans. Any recommendations on stage 2 kit or where to purchase from. Thanks

No, you can't do that.

The 2006 is a GEN 3 block and the 2007 Tahoe engine is a GEN 4 block.

GEN 3's are 24/1x crank trigger, the GEN 4's are 58/4x crank trigger. The knock sensors are in the valley cover on the GEN 3 and the GEN 4's are bolted to the side of the engine block down by the oil pan. The camshaft sensor is by the oil pressure sensor on a GEN 3 and in the front timing cover on the GEN 4. Those are just a few of the major differences in those engines.

• Like 1

The LY5, LMG and LC9 are all GEN 4 engines, those all can be swapped into a 2007 Tahoe.

The engines have to be from 2007-2009 though because starting in 2010 they added VVT. But if you planned to delete the VVT and put in a normal non VVT timing cover, a newer engine could be used.

Statement followed by a Question:

I got a 2007 GMC Canyon with a 2.9 5peed in it. It Spun a rod bearing.

From what I am finding online a crank is more expensive than what I am thinking of putting into a 4 cylinder to sell for a profit return, so I am thinking about putting a V8 in it.

Does anybody have any experience on swapping it over to a 5.3 or 6.2? Or would it be easier to just put a old school 350 in it?

2 hours ago, Backwoods said:

Statement followed by a Question:

I got a 2007 GMC Canyon with a 2.9 5peed in it. It Spun a rod bearing.

From what I am finding online a crank is more expensive than what I am thinking of putting into a 4 cylinder to sell for a profit return, so I am thinking about putting a V8 in it.

Does anybody have any experience on swapping it over to a 5.3 or 6.2? Or would it be easier to just put a old school 350 in it?

Body in 'white'. A shell is what we use to start with building racing vehicles. The basic wiring isn't complicated to reach a legal functionality. Lights, ignition and so on. Most look at a question like this from the perspective of plug and play and what you suggest isn't that. It's the basis for resistance you are receiving. 

The question isn't really can it be done. Of course it can. Unless the hot rod spirit has left the male gene. 

Your willingness to go "Ole School" points, carbs etc. rewrites your question. Ask it again as if this were  your plan to begin with. You might get more nibbles. It's a much different scenario.  Could even be fun. But....as asked 'can' becomes "good luck'.  

Thank you GrumpyBear, I didn't relaise it canceled itself out. I am Backwoods all things I do. Hahaha! So let me ask again.

To be a plug and play 5.3 or 6.2 in a 2007 Canyon. What do I need to be on the look out for to change over? Will that 5 speed actually bolt up? Will ecm work that I pull engine out of? Do I need to custom build alot of stuff? I am just getting my feet wet in all of this so all help would be appreciated.

I want it to be a sleeper truck then blow somebody's doors like the Old Beetle on Street Outlaws. Hahaha!

5.3 or 6.2 was never available in a Canyon. Ergo as Cameron said plug and play is a non starter. 

My comment was based on the idea you were willing to go "Ole school" and use a Gen 1 SBC pre computer set up. In which case there is fabrication of mounts and a wiring harness from scratch. 

Guys drop LS1's in old iron but it requires a stand alone ECU/PCM and again a some custom wiring. Would also require an early non TCM type transmission. TH350/400 or manual conversion. Lots of fab work. 

Basic? You gut the truck and start fresh sheet of paper. This is not newby territory. Full on custom wiring bumper to bumper. Fab a dash. Move a firewall, fab the tunnel maybe. Tubs. Frame fabrication. A skilled fabricator would have second thoughts. 

Every major city has SOMEONE that is up for such a job but bring wheel borrows full of cash. Look in Atlanta. Best I got. 

11 hours ago, Backwoods said:

Thank you GrumpyBear, I didn't relaise it canceled itself out. I am Backwoods all things I do. Hahaha! So let me ask again.

To be a plug and play 5.3 or 6.2 in a 2007 Canyon. What do I need to be on the look out for to change over? Will that 5 speed actually bolt up? Will ecm work that I pull engine out of? Do I need to custom build alot of stuff? I am just getting my feet wet in all of this so all help would be appreciated.

I want it to be a sleeper truck then blow somebody's doors like the Old Beetle on Street Outlaws. Hahaha!

GM put a 5.3 in those midsized trucks around 2009. Probably only with a 4 speed auto. I only saw one on the lot new. Never saw one used. Find a salvage yard they probably could locate a wreck one. Or go to a GM dealer for parts. 

On 9/11/2021 at 1:26 AM, jacobsprad said:

The 06 is built and does not have afm, the 07 is a Tahoe with the flex fuel and afm. I would like to place the 06 into the Tahoe. What would this require? Please and thank you. At the time of swap a buddy is going to build the trans. Any recommendations on stage 2 kit or where to purchase from. Thanks

Over on the Performance Trucks forum fellas over there say the aftermarket makes conversion harnesses to put a Gen III motor into your Tahoe with the Gen IV motor.

If you wanted to drop in a Gen IV 6.2, you could relatively easily pin your original computer for the VVT and then update the tune for it.