Bilstein 6112/5160 overkill

I have a 2020 Sierra at4 with 74,000 miles and the shocks are ready to be replaced.  I have already decided on a Bilstein setup, but am wondering if the 5100 will do or do I jump to the 6112/5160 or some combo of both.

My driving is 99% pavement…mixed highway and around town.  My main goals are smoothing out the ride (I feel it’s a bit choppy), stop the side to side rocking, and longevity.  We are planning a trip to Vermont from Florida and would like to make the family and dog as comfortable as possible (yes I know it’s a truck and not a luxury sedan).  I am currently running cooper at3 4s on the stock 20s.  

I know I will be happy with the 6112/5160, but am I just spending an extra $600 just to spend an extra $600.

There are ton of great posts on these products, but none that seem to way the cost vs reward.

I did 6112 front and 5100 rear. I have no regrets, firms up the ride, and the truck feels more planted.

It wasn't a night and day difference, but definitely money well spent (I can only imagine coming from a 70k mile truck how the improvement will be). I drive my truck everywhere, on road, off road, no road lol.

Have 5100's on the back of mine and they were a nice improvement over OEM, was a little torn with what to do with the front. Go with the 5100's on the front or the spring 6112's? Went with the 6112's just due to the front takes a little more of the abuse and I didn't want to second guess myself not doing it lol! Nice improvement I think either way but the 6112's are beefy and so far have done a nice job.

-Grover67

Question on install - 

The rear 5100s are expected to be super easy to install - I've heard that don't even have to jack the truck up, unbolt, remove, install, rebolt....  

To do front - 5100 or 6112 - what is the effort required to install? Is it something a reasonably comfortable mechanic can do at home.. (do I need spring compressors?) Would I need a realignment, etc?   Is it better to just take it to a pro?

I went the 6112/5160 route. All I can say is that it was a HUGE improvement over the factory Z71 shocks. And most of my time is spent on paved roads.

I liked the idea of the front coils being matched to the 6112 shocks.

Would I have been happy with 6112's front and 5100's rear. I am sure I would of. But I have no regrets.

I’m new here but have been doing a lot of looking for about the last year….

Anyways I wonder have any of you compared the 6112 to the 5100 in the front?  Comparing the 6112 to the factory will be a huge upgrade obviously, but is it over the 5100 if you drive paved roads most of the time like the OP stated?

I’ve run the 6112’s with 5100 in the rear on my previous F-150 but on this truck I’m wondering if the 5100’s will provide the same outcome?  I’ve also been tossing around putting the Eibach springs on the 5100.  

7 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

To do front - 5100 or 6112 - what is the effort required to install? Is it something a reasonably comfortable mechanic can do at home.. (do I need spring compressors?) Would I need a realignment, etc?   Is it better to just take it to a pro?

Fronts are pretty labor intensive.  Yes, it can be done at home.  Yes, you will need a spring compressor - a heavy duty one if you are using any of the leveling notches.  I went to the 3rd notch on my 5100s and my OTC Strut Tamer couldn't handle it - took it to the shop and they had a Branick that got the job done.  That was my experience....YMMV.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive my old post, but I went and ordered a full set of 5100s….unfortunately they are still on back order.  I would have no issue waiting, but i am making a long trip in about a month and need some options.  

I will probably go with the 6112 in the front as they seem to be in stock, however does anyone have suggestions for the rear?  Would you match with a set of icons? Any other suggestions?  

anyone have any insight to when the 5100s will actual come back….I know Wishful thinking

thank you in advance 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 7:02 AM, Jcp21 said:

Sorry to revive my old post, but I went and ordered a full set of 5100s….unfortunately they are still on back order.  I would have no issue waiting, but i am making a long trip in about a month and need some options.  

I will probably go with the 6112 in the front as they seem to be in stock, however does anyone have suggestions for the rear?  Would you match with a set of icons? Any other suggestions?  

anyone have any insight to when the 5100s will actual come back….I know Wishful thinking

thank you in advance 

I ordered a set of 5100's a few weeks ago, curious if you've received your 5100's yet? Also, where did you see the 6100's in stock? Thanks

I had ordered a set of 5100 from 4 Wheel parts and waited and waited….I also ordered a set of 6112 from summit racing…received them and 2 days later received an email that the 5100’s shipped.  

I installed the 5100s in the front and a set of fox 2.0, from shock surplus in the rear as that was all that was in stock at the time.  Over all I am happy with my choices, however I find I have a lot of vibration (both before and after) the install.  

I did the 6112/5100 combo. I wanted the lifetime warranty all the way around so decided against the 5160’s. The 6112’s in front have the advantage of the springs and shocks being designed as a matched system.

• Like 1