Next Saturday, Lord willing, i am getting my exhaust done on my 5.3 2019.  Getting the muffler replaced with pipe and some 6” slash cut tips welded at a angle.  The stock hdmi port looking tips are likely going to stay in because the hole might look weird.  Anyone done something similar and got any advice/experience?

2 hours ago, Avery Dameron said:

Next Saturday, Lord willing, i am getting my exhaust done on my 5.3 2019.  Getting the muffler replaced with pipe and some 6” slash cut tips welded at a angle.  The stock hdmi port looking tips are likely going to stay in because the hole might look weird.  Anyone done something similar and got any advice/experience?

I’m sure you’re aware of cylinder deactivation. Be prepared for weird exhaust sounds that come with.  

Before I bought my current truck, I test drove a 2020 GMC with the 6.2.  The previous owner had the flappers, muffler and resonators removed and some kind of aftermarket muffler installed.  The minute I drove out of the dealer's lot, I knew I wouldn't buy the truck.  Fairly loud in the cab and lots of drone at highway speeds and the noise it made when DFM kicked in was hideous.  Even the salesman was like "yeah, we're gonna have a hard time selling this one."  

On 10/13/2021 at 8:39 AM, KARNUT said:

I’m sure you’re aware of cylinder deactivation. Be prepared for weird exhaust sounds that come with.  

Well today i got it done and i ended up going full send and getting true duals with the third cat cutout straight back to 6” tips no mufflers. And let me tell you she loud as heck.  I took her on the interstate and the cylinder deactivated thing wasnt very noticeable and didn’t bother me. 

12 hours ago, Avery Dameron said:

Well today i got it done and i ended up going full send and getting true duals with the third cat cutout straight back to 6” tips no mufflers. And let me tell you she loud as heck.  I took her on the interstate and the cylinder deactivated thing wasnt very noticeable and didn’t bother me. 

With that exhaust ( bin there done that) your ears are probably ringing drowning out that helicopter sound. I hear it with stock exhaust. On Rams Too. 

On 10/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, KARNUT said:

With that exhaust ( bin there done that) your ears are probably ringing drowning out that helicopter sound. I hear it with stock exhaust. On Rams Too. 

soon as you replace the exhaust or remove the resonators on a factory exhaust on 5.3 or 6.2 the helicopter AFM/DFM is annoying as hell pretty much everyone who does either will end up disabling DFM/AFM

Edited by putz173
  • Like 1