Thoughts on high mileage LMM

I currently have a 2011 2500hd with 6.0 that I am having some issues with. I’m looking at getting it fixed to sell it. Before I sell it, I’m looking at purchasing a 2007.5 LMM duramax that has rather high miles. The truck itself has 350k on it. It’s a 1 owner truck, used mainly to commute on the highway. The engine recently blew up and it was swapped with a 75k mile motor that was gone through with new gaskets and 30% over exergy injectors and a 65mm turbo was installed. The trans was also services and a trans go jr kit was installed in it. The truck is very clean and was taken care of. I don’t believe the trans has been rebuilt or replaced which has me a little leary. What are your thoughts? I will at max put a few thousand miles a year on it. When it gets driven it will be hooked to a trailer either with side by sides or boat or camper. 

Personally I would say no to it just because I hate that body style. Now that it has been swapped with a new engine and had some upgrades on it I wouldn't be so worried about it but you have to think that say you do get shafted are you able/willing to fix what possibly could break

I wouldn't worry so much about the trans not being rebuilt if they have proof of service. As long as it is truly highway miles and wasn't ripping around on a race tune it might be alright.

The only way you're going to know is buy it and see. No one can predict the future they can only give an opinion. It sounds to me that you 're exited about an upgraded motor. The question still remains about the quality of the work done.

The 2011 was it bought new? My point is you have a better history than the other truck. Maybe fix the 2011 unless the diesel is also the reason for changing for towing.

LMM is basically an LBZ but with more emissions (DPF).  If its been deleted, you've pretty much got an LBZ in a 07-14 body.  LBZ and LMM are rather stout units.  The roll of the dice is the 350k on the clock.  GMT-900 don't age very nicely.  Brittle plastics, beds rot out from the inside of the wheel wells, rockers rot out.    

LML on the other hand...avoid those.  

Edited by newdude

So my 2011 I bought used and it was from New York. So it is rusty and it is an extended cab with the 6.0. I’m looking to go diesel as I do tow a lot and it is a crew cab instead of the extended cab. I need the extra room for the family. The truck is a 1 owner Florida truck. It’s rust free and spotless clean. It has been deleted and has a dsp5 switch. Was tuned with ez lynk. He also has the reciepts for all the work that was completed for the truck. Its an older man that owns it and he used it to commute for his business. 

56 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

So my 2011 I bought used and it was from New York. So it is rusty and it is an extended cab with the 6.0. I’m looking to go diesel as I do tow a lot and it is a crew cab instead of the extended cab. I need the extra room for the family. The truck is a 1 owner Florida truck. It’s rust free and spotless clean. It has been deleted and has a dsp5 switch. Was tuned with ez lynk. He also has the reciepts for all the work that was completed for the truck. Its an older man that owns it and he used it to commute for his business. 

My brother was recently in the same boat as you are.  All he could find were high-mileage, over priced trucks in his price range, he was trying to justify one of them because of his needs.  I told him to look into a new gas truck in the 3/4 or 1-ton range.  He bought a 2021 2500HD with the new 6.6 gas motor and could not be happier.  The gas trucks do not have the markup or wait associated with the diesel trucks, and its capabilities are substantial, and its warrantied.  If that is not something you are interested, and If you can wait it out, this used vehicle bubble will burst and you will be in a good position to buy used when the prices collapse.

2 hours ago, casey.mikl said:

I would def consider the truck then.  Florida, deleted, etc.  I would just make sure the truck itself is good as far as cab and interior.  

It is an LT with grey leather (not my first choice) but the interior it spotless. The driver seat is in amazing shape which is rare. I’m going to look at it this coming Sunday. The price I can get the truck for, I am able to sell mine and break even. So it will be a fair swap. Plus won’t have to worry about rust. I intend for repairs and such as well. One major thing I would like to change about it is the center fold seat. I prefer the full console like my 2011 has. The truck seems to be a very nice truck and the seller seems to be very honest. 

2 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

You can change the jump seat to center console just make sure you get the LT2 one and not the LTZ. 

If you are prepared to possibly need to repair then I see no reason not to do it.

I would swap mine with it as it is the LT2 console but my interior is black. So I’d have to find a grey LT2 console. 

2 hours ago, casey.mikl said:

It is an LT with grey leather (not my first choice) but the interior it spotless. The driver seat is in amazing shape which is rare. I’m going to look at it this coming Sunday. The price I can get the truck for, I am able to sell mine and break even. So it will be a fair swap. Plus won’t have to worry about rust. I intend for repairs and such as well. One major thing I would like to change about it is the center fold seat. I prefer the full console like my 2011 has. The truck seems to be a very nice truck and the seller seems to be very honest. 

Sounds like its worth a test drive and possibly a buy then.

Good luck!