6.2/6L80/3.73 vs 6.2/8L90 vs ???

4 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Interesting fact. A lot of people complain about the gearing being so low compared to competitors. But if you pick the correct (Taller tire) for your application you can reduce your 0-60 mph etc.

For ex. I put on slightly larger tires changing the axle ratio to 3.19 from 3.23. I know, small change. But enough that it now shift's just after 60mph and the 1/4 mile making better time. A lot of factors in this. But if you're traction limited a taller tire could be the way to go. 

That is, if you use trucks for things they weren't intended for 😜

And taller tire's cover more ground. Less rpm for distance traveled so.. quicker at higher speeds

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to make this work wouldn't you want to same width tread?  Wouldn't going wider increase fiction with the road, thereby decreasing mpg via making the powertrain work harder to cover the same ground?  I've always wondered about this, but never got a solid answer. 

On 10/15/2021 at 7:51 PM, tdc5152 said:

I’m in the market for a 14-18 Silverado or Sierra 1500. Ironically

So did you decide on anything yet?  I would be for the 2014 NHT.  Those 8-speeds are a pain.  The 6-speeds ills in the K2 are easily remedied.  One mod is to "flip the pill" to lower the temps which kill them, the other is to replace the torque converter pro-actively with an improved unit.  From 2017 on the transmission's computers are locked and cannot be tuned.

4 hours ago, Transient said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to make this work wouldn't you want to same width tread?  Wouldn't going wider increase fiction with the road, thereby decreasing mpg via making the powertrain work harder to cover the same ground?  I've always wondered about this, but never got a solid answer. 

Yeah, width is definately one factor of many. End goal is to influence where you are in the powerband at a desired speed or distance to improve e.t Or speed.

Depending on the application you may be able to increase just width, or just height. Or quite possibly you might want to go with a smaller tire.

I was just mentioning how it worked in my application. I didn't have traction from a dig in 2wd with the oe tires. The extra 5 pounds per tire, friction from a larger contact patch, and slightly reduced gear ratio was just enough to give me traction without greatly affecting power to the ground. And put me in an rpm range that improves et because of a later shift.

But I'm actually waiting on some new wheels that are 2lbs lighter. Where that weight is on the wheel could have a big effect.

So all of this could potentially go out the window 😋

I'm sure Grumpy or someone will be along shortly to correct anything I may have stated incorrectly :idiot:

9 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Yeah, width is definately one factor of many. End goal is to influence where you are in the powerband at a desired speed or distance to improve e.t Or speed.

Depending on the application you may be able to increase just width, or just height. Or quite possibly you might want to go with a smaller tire.

I was just mentioning how it worked in my application. I didn't have traction from a dig in 2wd with the oe tires. The extra 5 pounds per tire, friction from a larger contact patch, and slightly reduced gear ratio was just enough to give me traction without greatly affecting power to the ground. And put me in an rpm range that improves et because of a later shift.

But I'm actually waiting on some new wheels that are 2lbs lighter. Where that weight is on the wheel could have a big effect.

So all of this could potentially go out the window 😋

I'm sure Grumpy or someone will be along shortly to correct anything I may have stated incorrectly :idiot:

Thanks.  I'm not very knowledgeable about the engineering in all this.  I've often wondered how it all works, among other questions such as how it would affect towing, etc. 

Don't worry about Grumpy.  Push any issue far enough with him and you'll have the same honor bestowed upon you that he bestowed upon me.  I'm on his ignore list. 

16 minutes ago, Transient said:

Thanks.  I'm not very knowledgeable about the engineering in all this.  I've often wondered how it all works, among other questions such as how it would affect towing, etc. 

Don't worry about Grumpy.  Push any issue far enough with him and you'll have the same honor bestowed upon you that he bestowed upon me.  I'm on his ignore list. 

Oh, by no means do I consider myself knowledgable on this topic. Just something I picked up.

Not worried about Grumpy. What I said was meant more as a jk.

Grumpy would actually do a great job of explaining this. 

On 12/11/2021 at 12:52 PM, pokismoki said:

has anyone tried a comparision test between the Ford version of the GM 10 speed?  any difference in their shift tuning vs. GM's?

I've had many Raptor owners tell me they hate the 10-speed.  Apparently they thunk shifting into 4th and 7th on the Fords.  No issue to date with my Chevy.  I have 21,4xx miles on the odometer.  I did read an article once that they valving is different for GM and Ford 10-speeds.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:01 AM, shakenfake said:

The only 10-Speed I've seen out of the Fords is from single cabs and those guys love the 10-speed matched with the 5.0

I'm actually a little jealous cause those trucks perform stupid good.

So do ours