Chip shortages continue, Diesel motors are on the new chopping block

Guest Phobby

New information from my dealer today on HD trucks. The Duramax is now being reduced in production due to more chips needed for the diesel trucks. New HDs will be shipped to dealers with Gas motors as a lot larger margin than normal. 

A list of options that have been or will be removed from truck orders.  

Heads up Display 

Digital rearview mirror

Third brake light cameras

dual climate control digital displays on knobs

Heated rear seats

some of the camera features are also going to be limited.

wheel and tire options are also beginning to be limited.

Furthermore the 2022 loaded 2500HD is nearing or going to cross $85k without a dealer marking them up. I passed a dealership with a Used 2021 2500 High Country yesterday $84,000. 

First time I have ever bought a new truck and it has appreciated in value. My 2021 Denali dually  trade value is above my full retail purchase with extended warranty. 

Edited by Phobby
typo

• Guest changed the title to Chip shortages continue, Diesel motors are on the new chopping block

We can already go north of 80K and it was possible even on a 2020. 

Every boxed checked in the build and price 2021 vs 2022 on a 2500HD 4x4 Duramax High Country long bed I'm less than $1000 more.  Its was like $80,700 for the 2021 and $81,415 for the 2022.

GM hasn't announced any new price increases as of yet either.  $85K its got a markup unless its a Denali or a dually, then its believable.  

Climate knobs and the rear heated seats are already known cuts since August? 

I can't find any of the others mentioned yet, including the Duramax shortage in the GM system.  Might have to put an ear on the ground with our ordering guy to see if any of the rest of that is valid.  

Edited by newdude

i think the main issue is with the failing DEF sensors on commercial trucks, no parts available, as commercial trucking is having a supply issue getting the sensor and they get 1st dibs when those arrive..$300 part now cost $2000-4000 each,  Bring back manufacturing to America!

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, newdude said:

We can already go north of 80K and it was possible even on a 2020. 

Every boxed checked in the build and price 2021 vs 2022 on a 2500HD 4x4 Duramax High Country long bed I'm less than $1000 more.  Its was like $80,700 for the 2021 and $81,415 for the 2022.

GM hasn't announced any new price increases as of yet either.  $85K its got a markup unless its a Denali or a dually, then its believable.  

Climate knobs and the rear heated seats are already known cuts since August? 

I can't find any of the others mentioned yet, including the Duramax shortage in the GM system.  Might have to put an ear on the ground with our ordering guy to see if any of the rest of that is valid.  

Idk why the owner of a dealership that only orders Diesel 2500s would tell me GM is making them take Gas HDs. Obviously a High Country still isn’t a Denali or what they cost. The GMC AT4 is new and still out sells a High Country model. 

12 hours ago, Phobby said:

Idk why the owner of a dealership that only orders Diesel 2500s would tell me GM is making them take Gas HDs. Obviously a High Country still isn’t a Denali or what they cost. The GMC AT4 is new and still out sells a High Country model. 

Are you saying only GMC pricing went up? Minimal MSRP price difference in all three of those models.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, Phobby said:

Well...

November order notes came out today.  There is ZERO contraints on 1500 and HD diesel.  The 1500 diesel is wide open, and V8s are in short supply.

On HDs, it says "take advantage of heavy diesel mix this DOSP" which translates to "we are building a butt load of 6.6 diesels.  

Neither of those sound like a shortage of Duramax engines to me 🤷‍♂️

Many other constraints are lifted on HD production as well.  This DOSP is only 5% of builds are crew cab, 1% are WT and 0 trucks with Technology pkg, so "technically" the HUD shortage is valid at the moment because its in the Tech Pkg.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, newdude said:

Well...

November order notes came out today.  There is ZERO contraints on 1500 and HD diesel.  The 1500 diesel is wide open, and V8s are in short supply.

On HDs, it says "take advantage of heavy diesel mix this DOSP" which translates to "we are building a butt load of 6.6 diesels.  

Many other constraints are lifted on HD production as well.  This DOSP is only 5% of builds are crew cab, 1% are WT and 0 trucks with Technology pkg, so "technically" the HUD shortage is valid at the moment because its in the Tech Pkg.  

This is great news as I just ordered a different truck last week and the only thing I found was you cant order the illuminated GMC for the grill.......figured crossed they have chips when they finally build mine.

Edited by ~Wicked~

9 hours ago, newdude said:

Well...

i wonder what other emmissions devices and sensors are installed on the 6.6 , that if any sensor or part failed would it enter into limp mode, and is there a work around for these components to make the diesel emmissions Illegal so they are usable in the long run, say for 30 years?

I'm gonna assume world manufactuering of critical components will be halted for carbon fueled vehicles.  when that happens in say another 10-15 years, due to climate change madness, your better off leasing the dream truck

Edited by pokismoki