Brake Pedal gets stiff, hard to stop

Recently when at slow speeds, almost stopped, I notice the brake pedal will get really hard to press, and will only go down a small distance. The truck will stop but its not a quick stop by no means. Happened backing up to park the other day. Happened today while at a red light. Drifted front, went to hit the brake and had to REALLY hit the brake to get it to stop. Anyone else experience during their truck ownership? Thanks.

It is a known serious problem and there is a recall for it. The first step usually is a software flash. I'm my case, I wasn't having problems when the software flash was done to prevent the hard braking. About a year later, I had several episodes of the hard braking and they ended up diagnosing a vacuum pump failure and replacing it. The software flash was handled as a recall but not sure how the vacuum pump was handled as I was still under warranty. But if I wasn't, I would have thrown a fit and pushed for it to be covered...

• Like 1

Here is an article describing the problem but I don't think GM is quite being truthful about the number of vacuum pump failures and think it is a bigger problem than they admit.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/gm-recalls-suvs-and-pickups-for-braking-issue/

• Like 1

Now that you mention that, they did do a software flash on that when I went in to have an alignment. I doubt the dealer will want to cover any part of it, I have 97k miles on the truck which is a 2016. Anyone know the cost to replace? I will take it to a local trusted mechanic to repair. I also realized today I don't have A/C, guessing the typical condenser failure, but will have him look at that as well. I appreciate you all sharing what you know. 

• Like 1