Hiding EZ Pass Transponder and maybe some emergency cash / stash ?

This isn't really a mod, but having that ugly white box on my windshield was killing me.  I tried painting it black but you can still see it in the windshield fairly easily.  I finally found an easy place to hide it and thought I would share.  Feel free to flame me if I am being ridiculous.

The dash trim above the cluster just pops off, no tools required.  It has a great spot to hide the ez pass transponder and I will also be putting a couple of twenty dollar bills in there just in case.

PXL_20211117_202506258.jpg

PXL_20211117_202500787.jpg

I haven't tested it yet, but it is almost 100%.  I used to keep it stuck to the inside top of the upper glove box and it worked fine there.  The reason I moved it is because the double sided tape didn't hold well there and it kept falling out of the glove box every time I opened it. Where it is now has a lot less covering it than it did in the glove box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelerdude15 said:

I wonder if the transponder will still be picked up like that. I keep mine in my center console and when the time comes, I hold it against the windshield until I've passed through and then put it back.

I do the same thing but I don't hold it against the windshield I just put it in the recessed tray on top of the center dash. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is a pretty clever place to put it.

I created a fairly basic 3d printed case for my ez pass if anyone is interested:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5170327

It fits well in the smaller open area of the dash tray.

Edited by John Devine

Interesting post. Well, to start with, do you want to hide it from yourself, from you vehicle passengers, or from other traffic and pedestrians? Or all 3?

If you don't want to see it yourself, just put it on the back of your rear view mirror. If you don't want other traffic to see it, stick it on the windshield at the very top where its tinted. If you don't want anyone to see it, put it at the top of your windshield, hidden between the window tint and the visor. 

Or just throw the damn thing out the window and pay your tolls the old fashion way.

Other options... Install one of those "cop spot lights" on your rig by the windshield, and hide it in there? Maybe install some fake 'gutted' fog lights, and put it inside one of them?

Maybe get a hood scoop, and put it in there?

WAIT !! Why not mount it inside the headlight lens. No one would ever see it, and its totally protected from the elements.

Maybe in a glass jar, just behind the radiator grill?

You could get transparent "smoke" colored hood rock deflector, and mount it behind that. No one would see it, and it could be easily detected by the scanner thingy.

What else.... Hmmm.

However, your idea about putting it on top of the gauge cluster is cool. I have hidden GPS antennas in similar ways under the dash covers.

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Inside a .50 cal ammo can on the spare battery tray, for the money.

That's a good idea. As long as the signal can get to it, that would be the ideal spot.

I don't use electronic toll passes.

I use that spare battery area to hold a plastic divider tray, which contains coolant, oil, funnel, rags, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Inside a .50 cal ammo can on the spare battery tray, for the money.

If you use a metal can it might fibrin as a faraday cage.  Best to use a plastic ammo can.  And, .30 cal might be more appropriate.  😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supreme Pizza said:

That's a good idea. As long as the signal can get to it, that would be the ideal spot.

I don't use electronic toll passes.

I use that spare battery area to hold a plastic divider tray, which contains coolant, oil, funnel, rags, etc.

T1s don't have spare battery trays

• Confused 1