Stripped steering wheel bolt

I tried replacing the steering wheel in my custom with a high country steering wheel because also got high country cluster and I ended up rounding out the torx bolt trying to get it out any one know how to get it out I talked to local mechanic said that bolt was too hard to drill I have an appointment with the dealership for them to try and get it out but I’m worried they won’t be able to get it and without changing the steering wheel the cluster is useless

You don't need the dealer.  You need something like this.  They are informally known as "Speed Outs".  Use them in a power drill.  Sometimes you need to drill the bolt head to get enough depth to get these to bite.  You'll need to replace the bolt, but I think you already knew that with the stripped head. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-5-Pack-Steel-5-in-Screw-Extractor-Set/1000594887

they are very hard bolts so you won't be able to drill it out I dont think and if its that tight the extractor will break before it takes it out. try to find something that will bite into the stripped teeth of the torx like an allen socket or a screw driver bit then take a pencil tip torch or induction heater and heat the head of the bolt as hot as you can without melting anything else then using a hand impact driver give it a whack. once it breaks loose it should come out easily. the torx bolts stretch when tightened so once you relieve the stretch with some heat you may get it. let us know how you make out

maybe, have you tried drilling it yet to see if its too hard to drill? if its got threadlocker on it heat will definetly help. sometimes the dealer won't touch a job like that but it can't hurt to ask. no trust worthy independant garages near you?

14 hours ago, Th3BobbyHill said:

I tried replacing the steering wheel in my custom with a high country steering wheel because also got high country cluster and I ended up rounding out the torx bolt trying to get it out any one know how to get it out I talked to local mechanic said that bolt was too hard to drill I have an appointment with the dealership for them to try and get it out but I’m worried they won’t be able to get it and without changing the steering wheel the cluster is useless

Did you use a T45 Torx bit?   If you did, change to a T50. which is the correct size. Then heat the bolt and bump it with an impact wrench until it starts to move.  Don't hammer it, use short bursts. It is very easy to think a T45 will work because it almost fits.  Don't ask me how I know.  LOL😂  

Edited by Mac-427

I haven’t tried drilling yet I called a local mechanic I’ve used before and he said that bolt material is too hard to drill that almost only way may be to weld a nut to it then try with a socket but he wasn’t comfortable welding inside my truck and no I used a t50 torx and rounded out the bolt so now a t50 torx bit just spins inside the bolt

Brand new cobalt bits might work.  I'd start small to get a pilot hole and work up to a bit very slightly larger than the threaded portion of the bolt to get the head to pop off.  Then you can pull the steering wheel.  With the wheel out of the way, you might be able to double nut the exposed threaded portion of the bolt and get it out. I'd use jam nuts because they are thinner.  Drilling will probably heat the bolt enough to break the grip of the thread locker.  It might even come out quite easily with a vise grip because it will no longer be torqued.  Drill slowly and use a small amount of cutting oil on the bits as you drill, but not so much that it slings all over the place.  I'd be a little worried about welding inside the truck but that also might work with proper protection. Disclaimer:  I honestly don't remember if the steering wheel retention bolt is fully threaded all the way to the head. For this approach to work you'll need enough exposed threads to allow the double nuts to grip.

A picture might help to show us what you're up against.  If the stripping isn't too bad, we might come up with some crazy ideas.  For example, I've had success with laying a rubber band across the head of a bolt, then using the correct sized tool (in this case T50) to press the rubber band into the head of the bolt to fill the gap that was created.  It's worked with smaller screws/bolts, but I'm doubtful on the larger bolt. 

Take a small die grinder and cut a slot across the top than use a dull or flat (so you don't cut the bolt head) chisel to loosen it working from side to side with small easy hits.  of coarse use common sense and cover everything form the sparks. 

Edited by WeGone

Have you tried sacrificing a large alien key?  If a torx bit caused that damage, then the odds are the torx was damaged, too.  It might allow you to jam/tap a large allen key into that hole and twist.

Also looks like welding a nut may be a no-go due to wiring and plastic connectors in very close proximity.