Supercharged V8's on the way??

True…..yet I had heard from a few GM guys before this past “election” that depending on who got in the supercharged truck were on the table. The pandemic hasn’t helped especially with chip shortage on all the other “bull$h!t that has gone on. I truly believe they are waiting for this to

settle all down and 2024 they will bring them out. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. No auto maker makes a full lineup of supercharged SUVs and trucks. Yes Ram makes 1 truck, Ford has  the Shelby, but no one has a full lineup. It’s there for The taking if GM would just pull the trigger. 

the EV power is great but WE as a society are years away from actually using them as just more than urban commuters. Plus surplus is very low her in Iowa. 

Ya know it is fun talking about it and “dreaming”. Lol. 

I have a manual transmission CT5-V Blackwing LT4 on order.  Can't wait for it to arrive!  Gm could never make enough Escalades with that motor to satisfy demand.  Good for the General to get as many rumbling gas guzzlers on the road as possible before it is all EV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Lingenfelter and Hennessey have been doing GM full warranted supercharger installs for years on LS and LT engines.  

Ya, I know but the cost is what has “per say” kept me from doing it. The last I checked Hennessey was some where in park of an extra $30k.  Heck that’s a nicely used Camaro SS. 
My friend who owns all the superchargers in Yankton, SD told me a doctor up there had an Cadillac Escalade done by Hennessey. I think he was bragging that he paid over $127k for it to be all done.  This was around 2015 and it was a short Escalade not the long wheelbase. I thought price was outrageous. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Ya, I know but the cost is what has “per say” kept me from doing it. The last I checked Hennessey was some where in park of an extra $30k.  Heck that’s a nicely used Camaro SS. 
My friend who owns all the superchargers in Yankton, SD told me a doctor up there had an Cadillac Escalade done by Hennessey. I think he was bragging that he paid over $127k for it to be all done.  This was around 2015 and it was a short Escalade not the long wheelbase. I thought price was outrageous. 

Oh yeah, my point was that GM has been doing supercharging (Buick 3800s too) and when they do it from the factory and not through those guys, the price will be much much less.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Oh yeah, my point was that GM has been doing supercharging (Buick 3800s too) and when they do it from the factory and not through those guys, the price will be much much less.  

I agree, and Oh yes the indestructible 3800!!  Well not really but man those engines could run. Went through 3 of them on my side of family and father in law owns trucking business and he went through 2 himself. Well over 300k. Non with superchargers though. 
I remember my sophomore year in high school Pontiac released the wide body 97 Grand Prix. Then year later came out with the supercharged GTP. Sexy car and fast for those times.  They had no problem beating GT mustangs back then. 

• Like 1

@KARNUT…..you were probably in love with the late 80s and 90s GM 4.3L and 3.8L engines. I know I was!!  Either by turbos and superchargers. They were just good old fashioned pushrod engines.  No cylinder deactivation or other “gremlins” to mess up the engine. My moms 2001 Impala averaged over 30 mpgs running 65 down the highway to her work all day long.  Now when you pushed it harder it was mid 20s but that was because of the 4 speed transmission hindered it. 

8 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

@KARNUT…..you were probably in love with the late 80s and 90s GM 4.3L and 3.8L engines. I know I was!!  Either by turbos and superchargers. They were just good old fashioned pushrod engines.  No cylinder deactivation or other “gremlins” to mess up the engine. My moms 2001 Impala averaged over 30 mpgs running 65 down the highway to her work all day long.  Now when you pushed it harder it was mid 20s but that was because of the 4 speed transmission hindered it. 

In the 80s my wife drove a modified 74 impala with a 454. It became my toy she got a cutlass wagon with the 5.7 diesel. Then an little olds starfire with the V-6. Then a holiday 88 olds I believe with a 301 V-8. The 90s Geo- Toyota, ford mini van, Lincoln, mercury sable. New 94 impala ss and a 94 Z-28 as a daily. 98 mustang my son got the Z-28. She hated the V-6 mustang a 99 ford contour V-6. 2001 Acura intagra type r, still has it. 05 Elantra GT, my grandson dives now, 2010 Mazda 3, 2011 Genesis, will not part with. The 70s 68 impala, 69 impala, 74 nova, 75 ford elite. Me and my brother traded nova, ford. 74 Mazda cosmo. Figured I’d compete her list best I can recall. Doesn’t count me or the toys. 

• Haha 1

I’d buy a supercharged V8 if it was offered. We’ve owned a new Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged V8 since June 2015. It’s rated at only 525hp and definitely has the power to take off and move right along. And the fuel economy currently reads 18.5 mpg on the long term gauge. Only problem we’ve had was a leaking AC Freon hose that was replaced under warranty. And 8 cylinder power all the time, no Dynamic Fuel Management bullshit.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:06 AM, TNTSilverado said:

I agree, and Oh yes the indestructible 3800!!  Well not really but man those engines could run. Went through 3 of them on my side of family and father in law owns trucking business and he went through 2 himself. Well over 300k. Non with superchargers though. 
I remember my sophomore year in high school Pontiac released the wide body 97 Grand Prix. Then year later came out with the supercharged GTP. Sexy car and fast for those times.  They had no problem beating GT mustangs back then. 

I wanted a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe when those things were I out.  But, GM decided to kill it.  I loved Pontiac until their demise.  Wanted a Solstice hardtop with the 2.0 turbo, but I doubt I would've fit in it since I'm too tall for a C7.  Also loved the Trans Am WS6 with the Firehawk package. 

A little supercharged engine that impressed some people was the LSJ.  It was a 2.0 supercharged Ecotec.  It was in the 2006 Cobalt.  I was beating stock Mustang GTs in the 1/4 with that car, but I had to get the hole shot.  That car would pull from the start, but the Mustang would start reeling it towards the big end of the track.  It wasn't enough by the end though.  It would trap a fat speed, but I was covering the 1/4 quicker.  That was bone stock for both cars.  Stock I also got that car into the 130 MPH Club on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  Took a few passes to figure it out.  I was trying to shift into 5th before the end of the track to take advantage of torque, but it was costing me speed.  Did some math and decided to go for it.  Left it in 4th and bounced off the rev limiter right after crossing the 1 mile line.  Average 131 MPH and got into the club.  4th was got up to 134, iirc.  Rev limiter was 6500 rpm.  SAE rated 205 horse/200 torque, but everybody that owned one believed the car was underrated. 

GM was making fun cars 15 years ago.  I wish they'd do it again.  A turbocharged Trax SS with AWD would be a little toaster that could.  Equinox Sport was well conceived, but poorly executed.  A V8 Traverse with the 5.3 and AWD.  And, an LT5 Silverado in both street trim (SS) and offroad (ZRX).  Somebody call Mary and tell her she's fired.  I should be running the show, lol (Bad idea.  I'm too much of an a-hole.)

Edited by Transient
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Transient said:

I wanted a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe when those things were I out.  But, GM decided to kill it.  I loved Pontiac until their demise.  Wanted a Solstice hardtop with the 2.0 turbo, but I doubt I would've fit in it since I'm too tall for a C7.  Also loved the Trans Am WS6 with the Firehawk package. 

A little supercharged engine that impressed some people was the LSJ.  It was a 2.0 supercharged Ecotec.  It was in the 2006 Cobalt.  I was beating stock Mustang GTs in the 1/4 with that car, but I had to get the hole shot.  That car would pull from the start, but the Mustang would start reeling it towards the big end of the track.  It wasn't enough by the end though.  It would trap a fat speed, but I was covering the 1/4 quicker.  That was bone stock for both cars.  Stock I also got that car into the 130 MPH Club on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  Took a few passes to figure it out.  I was trying to shift into 5th before the end of the track to take advantage of torque, but it was costing me speed.  Did some math and decided to go for it.  Left it in 4th and bounced off the rev limiter right after crossing the 1 mile line.  Average 131 MPH and got into the club.  4th was got up to 134, iirc.  Rev limiter was 6500 rpm.  SAE rated 205 horse/200 torque, but everybody that owned one believed the car was underrated. 

GM was making fun cars 15 years ago.  I wish they'd do it again.  A turbocharged Trax SS with AWD would be a little toaster that could.  Equinox Sport was well conceived, but poorly executed.  A V8 Traverse with the 5.3 and AWD.  And, an LT5 Silverado in both street trim (SS) and offroad (ZRX).  Somebody call Mary and tell her she's fired.  I should be running the show, lol (Bad idea.  I'm too much of an a-hole.)

Then in 2008 they switched over from a supercharger to a turbo and the Cobalt went even faster!!  They were a stealthy little car. You also had the Impala SS with the 5.3L and it was a sleeper and munch GT mustangs stock for stock. I had the Trailblazer SS and loved it. AWD and 6.0L would really scoot!  Then from 03-06 was the SS Silverado. That truck had one of the best stances in my honest opinion. Just looked sinister, yet “classy “ all in one package.  

I just bought a new Traverse Premier Redline for my wife in September and the 3.6L is nice, but I would absolutely love a 5.3L in it.  The ride on the Traverse is amazing.

This EV push right now will fade.  The surplus isn’t there and neither is the demand. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

On 1/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, JohnH4260 said:

I’d buy a supercharged V8 if it was offered. We’ve owned a new Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged V8 since June 2015. It’s rated at only 525hp and definitely has the power to take off and move right along. And the fuel economy currently reads 18.5 mpg on the long term gauge. Only problem we’ve had was a leaking AC Freon hose that was replaced under warranty. And 8 cylinder power all the time, no Dynamic Fuel Management bullshit.

My buddy has a 2019 Range Rover Sport with Carbon Fiber package. Loves the vehicle. I have to say man does it ride nice. The thing moves really well for the amount of WEIGHT those things have. 

• Thanks 1