Opinions Requested

Byrds8

When I purchased my truck, there was/is a blemish in the pain on the hood. Its about a quarter sized area. Since its in the pain, it cannot be buffed out. I was told by the body shop, they would leave it alone since the factory paint job would be better in the log run. Granted, I am a bit OCD when it comes to things so it would be a bit rough to let it go. However, what are some of your opinions on this? I read that most body shops worth their salt could make it great where youd never know but it still would not be as durable as factory since its baked on when built vs what the body shop would do. Thanks in advance.

Is the paint compromised? Meaning will the blemish prevent the paint from protecting the underlying aluminum? How bad is the blemish? Can you see it when you are sitting in the truck or standing a few feet away? Post a close-up of the blemish. That will help.

IMG_2807.thumb.JPG.f065a81f339193ab1fc9e3876d8d6890.JPG

Yes, it would be a warranty issue but the dealership sends it to a body shop for painting. You can see it better in the sun if youre in front of it. Some may not notice it but I did.

It's still a defect from GM.  It's up to them to fix it for you under warranty.  If their body shop won't do it they need to send it to a place that will.

There's lots of body shops out there that can do world class paint jobs FAR, FAR better than anything that ever rolled off an assembly line.  If they can't fix it correctly someone else can.

• Like 1

It isnt that they wouldnt do it, they just said that OEM is always better. They gave me the written estimate I needed to take back to the dealership. It was just under $500. Said they would sand the entire hood but only to the metal in the area of the blemish. They would then paint that area and then clear the entire hood.

Edited by Byrds8
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Byrds8 said:

It isnt that they wouldnt do it, they just said that OEM is always better. They gave me the written estimate I needed to take back to the dealership. It was just under $500. Said they would sand the entire hood but only to the metal in the area of the blemish. They would then paint that area and then clear the entire hood.

This sounds like the best fix. If they sand the area, prime and blend the paint than clear the hood you should be good to go.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supreme Pizza said:

Cant the dealership just swap the hood out for you? They have what.... millions? of those hoods in the same color as yours sitting on a shelf.

Wouldnt that be amazing if they did that. However, they do not seem to be willing. All of us have said the same thing. Easy fix and send that one back to GM like you would any failed part.

18 minutes ago, Supreme Pizza said:

Cant the dealership just swap the hood out for you? They have what.... millions? of those hoods in the same color as yours sitting on a shelf.

Painted hoods sitting on the shelf? Millions?

Get it painted. Paint and clear the whole hood. Modern paints and clear coat will be fine. Old days of lacquer and enamels not so much.

Edited by tbarn

1 hour ago, Supreme Pizza said:

When I bought my 2019. I bought it over the phone and when I showed up it was everything I wanted except for a small dent on the rear back door. They tried PDRing it but it was in an area that they couldn’t get too. So they would have to sand down area and pull out and repaint whole door. I said hell no. So they said ok, we will just pull off the back door of this black high country and swap it out. They did it and it’s perfect and I don’t have to worry about it being repainted. Feel sorry for the other customer that bought other truck but they truly would never know if it did or didn’t have a new door. 

as for OP. I’d ask for a different hood. Or get it repainted. I’m like you. I’m very OCD with my vehicles. I also name everyone of them I own. 

• Like 1