2020 and up, dpf system recall

After a couple months, the shifting became less aggressive and the MPGs are similar at slower speeds. The biggest difference I noticed now is driving above 70mph. I used to get about 20 mpg driving 75mph. At those speeds, I'm lucky to get 18 now. The new programming seems to be set for optimal mpg between 55 and 65 mph.

Edited by bowtie2007
More time has elapsed.

Well I called and scheduled mine like I stated, they called me back though and stated my truck is not part of the recall.  It's a 2020 2500hd diesel.  She stated also that it appears my components are not impact by this.  She canceled my appointment and said no need for it for my truck.  

SO what gives?

23 hours ago, bowtie2007 said:

Well, good news. After a couple of weeks and some long trips, the truck started shifting as it did before. My mpg has also increased back to where it was. I guess it just takes a while to learn.

Same here.  Seems after a couple days of driving with mine it is back to normal.  

• Like 1

I dropped mine off today, they killed the ECM during the update. A new ECM is on backorder. At least they gave me a decent rental though while I wait an indefinite amount of time.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:05 PM, bowtie2007 said:

I got the recall done a couple weeks ago and there is a noticeable difference in the way it drives. It operates like it is in a constant regen cycle. It holds lower gears more often, keeping the RPMs higher and lowering my fuel economy. It is also more aggressive on the downshifting when I let off the accelerator. This is how it felt during the regen cycle prior to the tcm update, except it happens all the time now. I verified with a scanner that I am not in a regen, i was at about 85% soot level.

Stop and go traffic around town would get me around 14 to 15mpg before. Now, I am getting 11 to 12. On the highway at about 70mph, I was easily getting 20mpg or more. Now, it is more like 18 to 19mpg.  I hope the transmission is still trying to figure things out and will get better.

Same thing here! Just got it done last week, drove about 1600 miles and noticed a sad drop in fuel economy. On a 759 mile trip to Idaho I would get an average of 18.6-19.1  mpg. Now I’m at 16.8. Nothing else has changed except a new air filter and new oil. Dpf display on the highway came on for 40 minutes. What gives?? 

On 6/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

I had to reschedule the recall on my truck until this morning.  I am thinking the tcm part of the "upgrade" has some issues. My truck on the way home felt like it was in tow/haul mode and my mpg's have taken a substantial hit.  After the issues with the brakes, the dealership seems to be getting irritated.  Hate to have to take it back, but does not seem right and the damned thing cost too much money not to be right.  

Tell me about the brake issue. I’ve had nonstop nasty squealing and humming since I bought it 2.5 yrs ago. 

9 hours ago, Libertized said:

Tell me about the brake issue. I’ve had nonstop nasty squealing and humming since I bought it 2.5 yrs ago. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Libertized.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Libertized/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 6/23/2022 at 11:01 PM, Libertized said:

When I just had mine in, they said they could not replicate the brakes squealing.  She asked if it was just in the mornings, and went on to tell me that some squealing is normal with these heavy duty pads.  They "resurfaced the pads".   Guess for now I will just keep my music on to where I don't hear them.

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Marke64 said:

I had the recall done on 7/5/22 prior fuel mileage was 17-22 best 26. Now post mileage is 13-18. Acts like it’s always in regen. 

I’m so effing pissed about this. Same here. It’s ridiculous, especially with fuel prices as they are, not to mention in Commufornia. I spoke with GM twice (two separate occasions with a woman who has no idea what she’s doing, honestly) and have been told that I’ll have to wait 6-8 months for a new update…if it’s ready by then. Whaaaaaaat?? All I want is to put it back where it was, undoing the nefarious “voluntary” recall and reverting to the previous version. Does anyone have any insight on how we can make that happen?

Well my 2020 still shows NO recalls.  So they won't do the recall on it.   In addition, like you @Libertized, my brakes still squeal even though I took in twice for that before 14k miles and they said it is "working as designed". 

Good luck on the mileage.  

Edited by kmonto

Does anybody use the GMC App? I opened it up and it told me I had the recall on my vehicle. Immediately I noticed the Check Engine light appeared in the dash.  I had the recall done and when I picked up my truck the check engine light was off. My truck had me sign into my account, which kept failing, then I remembered that I had changed my email account on GMC, so I created a new account. That allowed me to sign in correctly. I opened my GMC app and what should appear again? The dialog stating there was a recall and when I looked at the dash again, the check engine light was back on. Ugghhh... I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow to have a look at it. But anybody else seen the Check Engine light behavior?  I know the one person from GM monitors this forum, I'm wondering if this is normal, is the GMC app and the truck really communicating like that? 

16 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

Does anybody use the GMC App? I opened it up and it told me I had the recall on my vehicle. Immediately I noticed the Check Engine light appeared in the dash.  I had the recall done and when I picked up my truck the check engine light was off. My truck had me sign into my account, which kept failing, then I remembered that I had changed my email account on GMC, so I created a new account. That allowed me to sign in correctly. I opened my GMC app and what should appear again? The dialog stating there was a recall and when I looked at the dash again, the check engine light was back on. Ugghhh... I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow to have a look at it. But anybody else seen the Check Engine light behavior?  I know the one person from GM monitors this forum, I'm wondering if this is normal, is the GMC app and the truck really communicating like that? 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Wbrisett.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2020 GMC 2500 HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Wbrisett/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 6:26 AM, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Libertized.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Libertized/GM Trucks in the subject line.

www.gm.com

I too have insane brake squeal issues, my dealership told me it was normal. I don't think so, not on an $80k truck.