1997 GMC Suburban K1500 2/4wd rear ac lines frozen; can't find replacements!

Rear AC on my 1997 GMC Suburban K1500 blows warm air only. Am told needs rear condenser and expansion valve but they cannot get rear lines (metal) disconnected at back without damaging them. I found supposed replacement (rubber) for low pressure line online but not for high pressure line. Front AC works fine but need the rear to help to cool the large interior. Coolant level fine (too low might have affected rear first?). Rear fan  and actuator fine. Has been in shop two weeks and they are stuck. They tried penetrating oil and heat. Any help appreciated! 

You can have custom lines both Lo/Hi sides built. You can also try a trick I've used and seen used by others. Drill a small hole on one of the flats of the "nut" side of the fitting, maybe midway down, to expose threads further down. Put your penetrating oil in there. It will have more access to threads.Just be careful drilling, that you don't totally fark the threads on the male part of the fitting. I like using Kroil as a penetrant

You'd have to research some local shop or ask around at some of the local shops to see who can build AC lines.

Lots of hot rods shop are likely to know because finding AC lines for cars that they haven't made parts for in the last 30-50 years would require custom made lines.

On 7/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, Highstepper said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Who can I contact that builds these lines? Also, if I drill a small hole are there enough treads to still get a good seal so I can reuse the lines?

Yes. The o-ring will be your seal. The method was developed and used in the vehicle AC service community. Not the most ideal.

Most any hydraulic shop should be able to fix you up. Many stock refrigerant hose since they have to make hoses for AC on heavy equipment all the time. Call around and ask. They should be able to get the ends that you need, if not you may need to take them the metal fitting part. These should be available through parts store like NAPA. Plenty of catalogs with everything in the world you might need. In fact many NAPA locations will do hydraulic and refrigerant lines

Hi, Thanks again for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind if my current effort does not succeed. Since I needed the evaporator and expansion valve I decided to try a kit sold by Auto Cooling Solutions that includes those and replacement high and low pressure lines that are flexible hoses rather than the fixed lines. Hope I won't regret my decision. What I purchased is 

CRK-RK2565-S Complete Rear A/C Kit.

I have not received it yet so can post once I do and see if it works. 

• 4 weeks later...