2022 AT4 Gasser Review

Like to give reviews for perspective buyers.  Keep in mind I love the truck but I tend to focus on the things that need improvement or need work vs just giving all good things.  

With that said I traded in a 2021 2500 Silverado LT diesel which was a higher end LT. End of the day these trucks are very similar and not a lot of difference short of power train.  Take it for what it is. I purchased a 2022 GMC AT4 2500 Gasser, preferred package

-Should have bought a GMC back in 21,  the fit and finish of the exterior is just better then silverado,  the silverados are kind of ugly with that chrome grill and wheels, but I felt like I kind of mitigated it with getting the color match grill and upgraded wheels with my silverado.  

-Fit and finish of the interior is nice but its very average for a 22 truck out on the market and the gauge cluster and infotainment center is a complete embarrassment for a 22, its barely changed since the 14s came out and for a 75k truck its kind of like really.  I do like the added tool box under the back seat of the GMC vs what silverado had was kind of worthless,  only bad thing is when you flip up the seat it blocks using about half the floor

-Onstar is mandatory now, my truck was built 11 JUL.  $1500 for three years, yeah dumb but you do get the whole suite of On star products. 

-Went from diesel to the gasser. After a few hundred miles verdict is still out for me.  GM made huge a huge mistake by not putting the 10spd with it.  Engine is peppy at low speeds and RPM,  felt like mid range say going 50-60 and trying to pass and hammering it, the engine is a dog and sort of worried about that.  Thus far getting around 14mpg.  

-Came with 18in wheels and the hankook dynapro,  look ok but I like 20s on a truck.  I have bought the 20in upgraded option GMC wheels to put on it and tires.  Glad I did,  I am not old but those tires that came with it are pretty loud and vibrate quite a bit.  This truck feels like it floats when driving it, kind of hoping it is soft side walls on these tires or I might have to bring it in because it doesnt feel as tight at my 21, maybe the diesel helped with front end weight.

-Bed light is kind of dumb not having a button in the bed to turn it on.  Mirrors should have a function to autofold in with key on or off, this kind of goes back to the info/DIC just being 10 years behind in what it can do

-Brakes are still soft just the like 21

- I have the sport steps added from GMC,  they are more of a solid piece,  look really nice.  But wonder how they are going to be with ice and snow piling up on them and no real treads on them

Edited by nards444
  • Like 3

Hauled the boat yesterday, so probably talking 7-8k lbs.  Truck worked great,  for those wondering between the diesel and gas motor, not even in the same ball park.  But that was expected by me and I am ok with it, with the amount of towing I do.

Truck still weaves and feels floaty to me,  check the suspension and nothing sticks out,  kind of have a feeling its the tires.  Will report back when I swap them out

On 8/8/2022 at 6:04 AM, nards444 said:

Hauled the boat yesterday, so probably talking 7-8k lbs.  Truck worked great,  for those wondering between the diesel and gas motor, not even in the same ball park.  But that was expected by me and I am ok with it, with the amount of towing I do.

Truck still weaves and feels floaty to me,  check the suspension and nothing sticks out,  kind of have a feeling its the tires.  Will report back when I swap them out

Thanks for the honest review.  I'm in a quandry right now.  Had a 2022 AT4 gas on order, but got canceled.  Option is to order a 23 which they've gone up $2500 over the 22.  I hate getting the last year model ahead of a refresh.  Almost thinking of waiting for a 24 at this point with the 10 speed.  I know several guys that like the new gas but all tell me it's not close to the diesel.  That has me concerned somewhat.  I do not tow alot but when I do it's heavy.  I'm almost thinking of just going with a Pro with the diesel this time and trade my 2015 LML off when the 24's with the new 10 speed come out.  

On 8/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, SWDoodle said:

Thanks for the honest review.  I'm in a quandry right now.  Had a 2022 AT4 gas on order, but got canceled.  Option is to order a 23 which they've gone up $2500 over the 22.  I hate getting the last year model ahead of a refresh.  Almost thinking of waiting for a 24 at this point with the 10 speed.  I know several guys that like the new gas but all tell me it's not close to the diesel.  That has me concerned somewhat.  I do not tow alot but when I do it's heavy.  I'm almost thinking of just going with a Pro with the diesel this time and trade my 2015 LML off when the 24's with the new 10 speed come out.  

23 is the same as the 22 except for the added cost.  Typically once the new model is out the old ones get discounted but it doesnt look that way.  So really once you buy a 22 you devalued yourself because it has to be worth less than a 23.   24 is supposed to be a refresh, but we will see.  If I didnt get the GM discount at this point unless I needed it bad, I would probably wait till 24, but then again the way things have been over the last 2-3 years,  could be worse.  Best case though is a 24 will go up another 2500-3k and you will be paying  5-7k for the same truck in 24 vs a 22.  

How much weight you towing and how far?  I had a 21 diesel and now the 22 gas, and no guys are right its not even close when hauling the gas engine is what it is.  Not towing they are about the same,  Id say the gas is better in the low ranges where the diesel is better in the mid ranges,  gas motor kind of sucks in the mid ranges to be honest.  But for me hauling a boat 10 times a year and some things here and there it just wasnt worth the added cost.  I also thought about dropping down to a custom or something like that, but you take huge hits on trade on those and Im not a bells and whistles guy but to still spend big money and not get a lot of stuff bothers me. 

• Like 1

The game is different now, at least it would be for me if I was still trading every two years. I only bought discounted trucks. So I wouldn’t get burned on the next one. Anyone who buys at sticker or above is going to be shocked if the chip problem gets resolved. And things go back to normal. Or will the dealers keep inventory low so prices stay high? I use to cruise the dealerships looking at new models. Most of my buys were discount driven on the spot. I never really needed a new vehicle. I usually shopped deals not brands. My last few new were a 14 GMC a 15 Santa Fe and a 17 Camry. All deals. My current rides would have to be real money pits for me to consider another now. Ordering is a real turn off for me.

44 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The game is different now, at least it would be for me if I was still trading every two years. I only bought discounted trucks. So I wouldn’t get burned on the next one. Anyone who buys at sticker or above is going to be shocked if the chip problem gets resolved. And things go back to normal. Or will the dealers keep inventory low so prices stay high? I use to cruise the dealerships looking at new models. Most of my buys were discount driven on the spot. I never really needed a new vehicle. I usually shopped deals not brands. My last few new were a 14 GMC a 15 Santa Fe and a 17 Camry. All deals. My current rides would have to be real money pits for me to consider another now. Ordering is a real turn off for me.

Good points the music has to stop at some point.  And a lot of folks who bought at MSRP or even more so if they paid above MSRP,  are going to get hosed specially on trucks that are in the 2-4 year old zone at trade or selling time.  I dont see prices staying high,  GM has an interest in selling trucks not feeding dealers wallets.  GM uses allocations to push dealers,  those that dont sell wont get them.  Its a self correcting system in a way,  the issue as we all know right now is GM just can not make enough.  

Trades are already diving, but not at huge rate,  and they wont level out until there are- more new trucks on the lot then used.  With that said we are seeing some leveling, and we will never go back to pre covid.  But some resemblance of normalcy is probably the very least 6 months out, but most likely is 12-18 months away.  

• Like 1

Another factor is the rate of auto loan defaults and repos has gone way up. I watched a recent report showing the banks are holding back large amounts of auction inventory so as to avoid devaluing all of their repossessed assets. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 5:20 AM, nards444 said:

Like to give reviews for perspective buyers.  Keep in mind I love the truck but I tend to focus on the things that need improvement or need work vs just giving all good things.  

With that said I traded in a 2021 2500 Silverado LT diesel which was a higher end LT. End of the day these trucks are very similar and not a lot of difference short of power train.  Take it for what it is. I purchased a 2022 GMC AT4 2500 Gasser, preferred package

-Should have bought a GMC back in 21,  the fit and finish of the exterior is just better then silverado,  the silverados are kind of ugly with that chrome grill and wheels, but I felt like I kind of mitigated it with getting the color match grill and upgraded wheels with my silverado.  

-Fit and finish of the interior is nice but its very average for a 22 truck out on the market and the gauge cluster and infotainment center is a complete embarrassment for a 22, its barely changed since the 14s came out and for a 75k truck its kind of like really.  I do like the added tool box under the back seat of the GMC vs what silverado had was kind of worthless,  only bad thing is when you flip up the seat it blocks using about half the floor

-Onstar is mandatory now, my truck was built 11 JUL.  $1500 for three years, yeah dumb but you do get the whole suite of On star products. 

-Went from diesel to the gasser. After a few hundred miles verdict is still out for me.  GM made huge a huge mistake by not putting the 10spd with it.  Engine is peppy at low speeds and RPM,  felt like mid range say going 50-60 and trying to pass and hammering it, the engine is a dog and sort of worried about that.  Thus far getting around 14mpg.  

-Came with 18in wheels and the hankook dynapro,  look ok but I like 20s on a truck.  I have bought the 20in upgraded option GMC wheels to put on it and tires.  Glad I did,  I am not old but those tires that came with it are pretty loud and vibrate quite a bit.  This truck feels like it floats when driving it, kind of hoping it is soft side walls on these tires or I might have to bring it in because it doesnt feel as tight at my 21, maybe the diesel helped with front end weight.

-Bed light is kind of dumb not having a button in the bed to turn it on.  Mirrors should have a function to autofold in with key on or off, this kind of goes back to the info/DIC just being 10 years behind in what it can do

-Brakes are still soft just the like 21

- I have the sport steps added from GMC,  they are more of a solid piece,  look really nice.  But wonder how they are going to be with ice and snow piling up on them and no real treads on them

Like nards444, I love this truck. It’s been incredible.

Had my CCSB gasser almost 3 weeks now, put about 1800 miles on it. Switched to this truck from a 2020 diesel 3/4 ton Ram. Contrary to popular opinion, I did not like the interior on the Ram and Wife said “it feels cheap.”

Haven’t yet towed with my new gasser, but even with some payload, it feels stronger than I had remembered it to be from the test drives a few months ago.

Nards444 is right about passing at 60, it’s just not able to leap forward to pass, not like a diesel. But it’s so much stronger than the gas trucks of the past. 

Comparing the truck to the 2020 Diesel Ram, this truck is smoother on the highway and honestly much more pleasant to drive over long distances. On the other hand, the diesel Ram was unbelievably fun to drive empty or loaded on anything twisty or mountainy. 

Been driving with 62psi all around. And yes the truck floats at times but so much less than trucks of the past. The brakes do feel a little soft, but so much better than the Ram, so have no complaints there.

Getting 14mpg at 80-85, get 16-17 at 70mph. Mixed driving, getting 14mpg.

Installed Amp Research Steps for a variety of reasons. So far they are incredible in every way.

Some negatives

AC should be stronger on this truck.

Yes nards444 is 100% right about the bed light.

There is a clunk in the transmission at around 2nd gear, that I’d like to better understand….Maybe MTU Alum has a comment…?

Looked at my truck parked next to a GMC two days ago. Both look great, but Yes the GMC looks more fancier.

When you are approaching a stop, and give it a little gas, like approaching a stop sign on an uphill slope, the downshift to 1st can make a clunk.  After a few weeks my truck seemed to learn not to shift that way. I haven’t experienced it in months now.  If your clunk is like that, it should get better as the transmission adjusts to your driving habits.