Driving Friendly and the speed limit

KARNUT

I’ve asked a few police officers what is the real grace is in speed limits. The speed limit is the answer. Most allowed 10 percent they admit. The older officers admit the flow of traffic at even higher speeds. They don’t like to cause rubber necking if they can avoid it. According to police officers I’ve talked to left hand lane hanging contributes to road rage. Not giving way is another. I mean really why inflame a person driving 5,000 to 50,000 lb bullet? I live in a unique area. I live off a winding country road. Parallel is a subdivision 4 lane main road with shoulders. There’re a block apart. Bike riding for city slickers hit these roads most weekends. Guess what road they pick. When asked why they pick the most dangerous road. It’s my right is the answer. Near misses are numerous every weekend. Reminds of attitudes with some drivers here. Right may be right. Dead is still dead. I’m a defensive aggressive driver. If you want the road it’s yours I’ll giveaway. One of the most astonishing practices I’ve witnessed out of most towns in Texas. If there’s a shoulder people here will pull over. If it’s a tractor trailer I match the speed until I can give way. Every one remains happy. It’ll probably make the other drivers day. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Of course I didn't read it.

But I do enjoy watching a chess match between pigeons

:lurk:

Your always such a pleasant fellow. And a good source of laughter. You must have been a blast to work with and very popular. I hope this a lift to your self esteem and I’m glad to help.

Still didn't read it...and won't

image.jpeg.13c03883c6c3ce9fdaed45e17416d61b.jpeg

What do you suppose passing zones and passing lanes and multilane roads are for? 

Why list both Maximum and a Minimum if the limit is the only acceptable speed?

Why reserve a lane for those who wish to drive slower if slower is not permitted?

What's a passing lane for if everyone is doing the maximum?

Ditto passing zones?

:idiot:

Why does a slow Silverado tick people off but not a Buick Park Avenue?

Why do people smile and nod at a Pro Street Thunderbird crawling over rail road tracks,

But honk in exasperation at a pickup doing the same?

:crazy:

Pigeons

There can be no rational exchange with them

:rollin:

Edited by Grumpy Bear

The minimum speed is set so the average person going the maximum speed has time realize the slower speed of the slower vehicle. And either go around if possible or be able to slow down. I never witnessed a person getting upset with another person going slow over RR tracks. Can’t help there. And we have plenty. Different attitude in reaction between different vehicles going slow? Haven’t seen that. The rest is self explanatory. To most people anyway. Make sure you don’t read this slowly. PS aren’t pigeons smart? I’ve heard of them being trained to carry messages. Or maybe it’s homing bluebirds. 

Back in the '90s the local cops would pull people over on the highway for 15+ over and the State Troopers would pull people over on the highway for 10+ over.  10+ over for both on city streets unless it was a special circumstance like a school zone.

In the '80s my first two tickets were for 12 over, one in they city by a Sheriff, one on the highway by a Trooper!  

• Like 1

In New Jersey they had a pretty tight point system. 12 points in 3 years you lose your license. I had two in there years. 10 points. The first by my uncle. 70 in a 50. He had the mayor in the car. He cut me a break, I was going much faster. That was in my first two weeks of driving. The second was 55 in a 50 it was raining. They wrote too fast for conditions. I was going with the flow. That a short time later. It changed my driving habits. I still drove fast just not all the time.

Edited by KARNUT

10 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Back in the '90s the local cops would pull people over on the highway for 15+ over and the State Troopers would pull people over on the highway for 10+ over.  10+ over for both on city streets unless it was a special circumstance like a school zone.

Care to know what one of those 'special circumstances' are that are totally inflexible? I have some experience with this situation. And girls this IS an absolute. 

Death of a human with your vehicle envolved. 

Let me know how much you all enjoy defending yourselves from the Vehicular Manslaughter / Reckless Homicide / Reckless Driving / Failure to stop in a assured clear distance / Traveling to fast for conditions / Improper lane usage. That one is fun. Your car is moved to another lane because you've been T boned into it and it is STILL your fault.

Serving the sentences and/or paying the thousands of dollars in fines and lawyer bills. SR filings for a decade. Your unique insurance bills till you 50.  Getting yourself, your family and anyone else close to you that has money sued into the stone age. And the three dozen other laws your sited with they can tack on....... think up and hope will stick.

Now tell me when that accident is going to happen with certainty so that you can choose your willingness to break the laws that go otherwise unenforced that will protect you from your own ego and arrogance. 

A ticket is the least of my concerns but it is still ahead of some impatient self centered twit that thinks he is the most important thing on the earth. His time is more valuable than the lives of those he/she shares the road with. 

Isn't that what it is when someone demands with their horn and gestures, foul mouth and guns that someone else drive as THEY think you aught? 

How about this. You drive yours...I'll drive mine. 

Threads that defend some supposed RIGHT that does not exist to break laws is irrational and defies reason. 

:idiot:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s amusing when a person says driving 5 mph over is selfish but 5 mph under isn’t. Oh but it’s safer they say or I get 1 mile more per gallon. I’m perfectly satisfied with the speed limits in my area. I actually believe some areas are too fast. But I share the road. I go the speed limit. Map out roads your comfortable with. Play your gas mileage games on your time. Being self righteous with someone else’s time is bad manners. Of course some people probably get off on that. We all know someone had an unpleasant driving experience. I can say that with every activity. The biggest distraction in our vehicles is the phone. Maybe we need a law that when a phone  is in motion it turns off. 

On 8/13/2022 at 9:58 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Of course I didn't read it.

But I do enjoy watching a chess match between pigeons

:lurk:

If you had read it you would have known that it really wasn't a dig at people who go under or don't go the speed limit. In fact there was not a single word in there about people driving under the speed limit.

But if you want to get personally offended that is okay too. Not my thread lol but that was cringe

Edited by shakenfake
  • Like 1

I was thinking about this post on a 200 mile run on Sunday.  Running the speed limit was too fast for traffic, the speeders kept bunching up against the law abiding citizens.  I throttled back to 62 to 66 and didn't have to back down much.

The general feeling on threads such as this as it is the law abiding drivers that are in the wrong for driving the speed limit or slower.  Well, as I get older I'm driving slower.  

As we passed into Broward County (where I was born and grew up) it was like entering the twilight zone with all the selfish and crazy drivers on the road.  It was pouring rain and the little cars were still bobbing and weaving and even cut us off from entering one of those express lanes.  Crashes were common.  Some dove into puddles at speed and were rewarded with flapping bumper covers front and rear.  I throttled back even more until we were bumper to bumper for a time before we arrived at our first destination in Fort Lauderdale.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the 4 PM news tonight the result of another impatient self important tart.

US 30 in a no passing zone both ways the aerial view of a SUV and a compact in a 95% head on.

Quite a long time for fire and rescue extracting the bodies. 

No idea which car was passing to fast in the wrong place but EVERYONE in both cars paid a steep price.  

25 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

The general feeling on threads such as this as it is the law abiding drivers that are in the wrong for driving the speed limit or slower.  Well, as I get older I'm driving slower.  

Yea....pigeons claiming right is wrong. Absolutely Biblical. Isaiah 5:20

James, that is just good common sense to slow it down. The more bold they get then slower I get in defense. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/14/2022 at 7:38 PM, KARNUT said:

It’s amusing when a person says driving 5 mph over is selfish but 5 mph under isn’t. Oh but it’s safer they say or I get 1 mile more per gallon. I’m perfectly satisfied with the speed limits in my area. I actually believe some areas are too fast. But I share the road. I go the speed limit. Map out roads your comfortable with. Play your gas mileage games on your time. Being self righteous with someone else’s time is bad manners. Of course some people probably get off on that. We all know someone had an unpleasant driving experience. I can say that with every activity. The biggest distraction in our vehicles is the phone. Maybe we need a law that when a phone  is in motion it turns off. 

I wish they'd pull over the under drivers more than the speeders.  Its the left lane campers and the 5+under crowd that cause more disturbances in traffic flow than those going 5+over.  Unsafe travel on the highway.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, newdude said:

I wish they'd pull over the under drivers more than the speeders.  Its the left lane campers and the 5+under crowd that cause more disturbances in traffic flow than those going 5+over.  Unsafe travel on the highway.  

On a two lane US Hwy in rural Colorado mountains where do you want me to move? Sure,when I drove DFW area at 75 mph with 6 lanes of traffic I drive accordingly. Why do Texans come to Colorado to run retired folks over? 😂 Because they drive like ants with 400 hp. Since I am a disabled combat veteran I get it ,but my body is not up to racing cars anymore. Something I did for GM professionally before my body fell apart. Roads are for ALL of us. Not just the digital generation. 

• Thanks 2