Driving Friendly and the speed limit

KARNUT

It’s funny how like usual it’s the few who have miss read the intent of the thread. They want to talk about birds and accidents. They read anything KARNUT response to and gets  triggered. It’s not another oil change thread, attack! It’s amusing really. Rock on!

• Haha 1

Like customboss we live rural and 2 lane mountain roads are the norm. The most frustrating situation is a car traveling under the speed limit with cars lined up behind it. Most pay no attention to the cars behind them, a few will pull over when they can.

I drive according to how I feel, if its a slower day, I will not impede traffic. I speed up or move over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, customboss said:

On a two lane US Hwy in rural Colorado mountains where do you want me to move? Sure,when I drove DFW area at 75 mph with 6 lanes of traffic I drive accordingly. Why do Texans come to Colorado to run retired folks over? 😂 Because they drive like ants with 400 hp. Since I am a disabled combat veteran I get it ,but my body is not up to racing cars anymore. Something I did for GM professionally before my body fell apart. Roads are for ALL of us. Not just the digital generation. 

You think Texans are bad? It’s amusing you pick Texans, I get it. You need to drive with some New Jersey and California drivers. How do I know? There’re  all moving to this awful place called Texas. That’s what it is! They change their registration get Texas tags. Then they go to Colorado to get some Mary Jane. Mystery solved. Damn I’m good.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, customboss said:

On a two lane US Hwy in rural Colorado mountains where do you want me to move? Sure,when I drove DFW area at 75 mph with 6 lanes of traffic I drive accordingly. Why do Texans come to Colorado to run retired folks over? 😂 Because they drive like ants with 400 hp. Since I am a disabled combat veteran I get it ,but my body is not up to racing cars anymore. Something I did for GM professionally before my body fell apart. Roads are for ALL of us. Not just the digital generation. 

To be fair, if on such a road there is faster traffic and say no passing zones for miles, you pull off to the shoulder and let them by, then re-enter the lane.  It's not hard.  But on such a road, the posted limit or 5 over is a good start, retired or not.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

To be fair, if on such a road there is faster traffic and say no passing zones for miles, you pull off to the shoulder and let them by, then re-enter the lane.  It's not hard.  But on such a road, the posted limit or 5 over is a good start, retired or not.  

Strangely enough in Texas once you clear the towns on two lane roads that practice is common. It blew my mind when I first moved here 40 years ago. In New Jersey there’re were no shoulders just light poles. We didn’t have those huge ditches either like here. The whole driving experience is much more laid back once you clear the city. Most of the the secondary roads in New Jersey were 45 mph and slower. Stressful driving 24-7. 

Colorado Speed Laws

Source: Section 42‑4‑1101, C.R.S.

One of the more interesting rules noted is that the speed limit on "Open Mountain Highways" is 40 mph! 

While there are rules against driving so slowly as to impede traffic it comes with a caveat; 

Colorado law prohibits motor vehicle operators from driving at such a slow speed that they impede the normal and reasonable forward movement of traffic, unless their slow speed is necessary for the safe operation of the vehicle.  In these situations, the driver must drive in the right‑hand lane if there is one available on the roadway, or pull off the roadway when possible to allow any impeded traffic to pass.

Any guess pigeons WHO gets to determine what is the safe operating speed of the vehicle? Hint, not the guy behind you honking his horn and flashing his lights. 

No where in this law is there a provision the prohibits holding up traffic for those drivers who wish to drive OVER THE SPEED LIMIT. 

OR 5 mph OVER???? is NOT allowed by the same laws YOU ALL trot out to defend the indefensible. 

No one is bound by law to break it because you wish them to.

Most dads slap the kind of stupid out of you before you're five. 

:idiot:

I'll give the show back to the

image.jpeg.13e31fddafea580365b3a96d918d3296.jpeg

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

Grumpy,

I'm not picking on you , I made a comment. You always have to defend your position and I surely don't need Colorado laws posted.

Sometimes silence is golden.😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, customboss said:

Obviously newdude is talking about left lane campers in a 4 or 6 lane. Don't play the fool here. In a 2 lane we understand how it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, shakenfake said:

Obviously newdude is talking about left lane campers in a 4 or 6 lane. Don't play the fool here. In a 2 lane we understand how it works.

Isn’t it  amazing with no names mentioned some people assume it’s about them, unreal. Then claim the thread doesn’t deserve conversations while providing insinuating conversion with the usual emoji’s 🥹. I don’t have a problem with anyone. I’m not that juvenile. I state life according to my experience and still ask questions. I can agree to disagree and move on. Probably why I’m approaching 49 years married. 

14 hours ago, newdude said:

Its the left lane campers and the 5+under crowd that cause more disturbances in traffic flow 

In America, it's supposed to be the unlawful who are in the wrong.  We used to be a nation of laws and not mob rule as you are proposing.

6 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Like customboss we live rural and 2 lane mountain roads are the norm. The most frustrating situation is a car traveling under the speed limit with cars lined up behind it. Most pay no attention to the cars behind them, a few will pull over when they can.

I drive according to how I feel, if its a slower day, I will not impede traffic. I speed up or move over.

I have sometimes been that guy driving the speed limit or under in an unfamiliar area and I'm not hazarding my charges by pulling over so the impatient can get to their destinations 5 seconds sooner.  Folks need to exercise some patience and charity.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

In America, it's supposed to be the unlawful who are in the wrong.  We used to be a nation of laws and not mob rule as you are proposing.

I have sometimes been that guy driving the speed limit or under in an unfamiliar area and I'm not hazarding my charges by pulling over so the impatient can get to their destinations 5 seconds sooner.  Folks need to exercise some patience and charity.  

I’m never in a hurry being retired almost 8 years. So I tend to drive slower these days. And yes I give way when possible as I stated. I can’t help thinking if people can imagine a person can be in a hurry for other reasons besides being an idiot. Do I really need to list the possibilities. Lord have mercy if someone’s  being an idiot in front of me in an emergency. That’s what crosses my mind if someone needs to get by me. It’s better to be friendly on the road, than using it to make a point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Grumpy,

I'm not picking on you , I made a comment. You always have to defend your position and I surely don't need Colorado laws posted.

Sometimes silence is golden.😀

My friend I wasn't replying to you directly but to the post on driving in Colorado. Others live there as well commenting and I am a former resident myself. 😉 

1.) I know is matters little to many but my first order of business is obedience to God's Laws. Roman 13 instructs me to be obedient to superior authorities. The only exception is when a law of man is counter to Gods Laws. Acts 5:29 Obeying the rules of the road best I can is part of this. So is paying taxes and refraining from  fraudulent use of insurance. Lying to a policeman and so on. 

2.) Rules vary from state to state and yes most states do have a rule against blocking the 'normal flow' of traffic and in every instance I can find; with exceptions such as but not limited to, prevailing road conditions, weather, smoke, dust, sun, posted lower curve limits and for the  safe operation of the vehicle, traffic, emergency and maintenance vehicles and so on. It is always at the operators discretion as only he knows both his and his vehicles limitations in any and all situations. Guy behind does not get a say in this...

3.) That said, "The Normal Flow of Traffic" does not mean the prevailing WISH of the public to run 5 to 20 over the limit but to not impede WITHOUT CAUSE to less than AT MOST the maximum.  

4.) Review of Illinois law I find this state is an "Absolute Speed" state. Interesting. This means that a ticket can be written for 1 mph over the speed limit and first offence has a maximum fine of $1,000! About the only time this gets enforced is 'loss of life' incidents. You can challenge but the success rate in doing so is snowball in a furnace successful without some really expensive lawyers. Even then...not so much.... Cheaper to pay the fine. 

5.) To me and me alone this means I set my cruse control to 2 mph under the maximum IN THE PRESENTS OF OTHER TRAFFIC. The amount of 'over run' in average hill decent. In absence of others I still obey any and all posted minimum speed limits. On the Interstate I run 55 alone and 62-65 in traffic and keep right in this state and avoid the Interstates in states with limits higher than 70 mph. IF this is the peak rush I get off the Interstate at my first available exit. You have a different wish? Fine...I'm happy for you...

6.) I move over and let others pass when practical and safe for me and my passengers even if this means stopping on a shoulder or wayside an my personal inconvenience. 

7.) Know those posted yellow/orange signs on curves? I follow those. How's your brakes? 

8.) The FACT that law enforcement does not enforce the law matters not one bit to me. They can let the world run amuck...that will not cancel my duty to Point #1 of this list.  

9.) Law breakers will complain if you are 10 under or 10 over if you are in THEIR WAY. Mind over matter. I don't mind so it doesn't matter. Honk away.....

This is as accommodating as I am willing to be. Still not enough? Well.....SORRY. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

So going 55mph in the left lane in a 65 is acceptable?  If you are lost, don't be in the fast lane.  In almost every state it is in traffic law to keep right except when passing.  Left lane is the passing (and or fast) lane.  Some states (not all) actually enforce these laws via their highway patrol, and to me, every state should enforce it.  Traffic would flow much better.  

summary of keep right laws - State "keep right" laws (mit.edu)

I've seen cars on the NYS Thruway, local highways near my area.  Car in the right lane will be doing 60 in a 55, car in the left sits either in their blind spot or next to or just ahead of them and sits there.  Won't slow down and get over, won't pass (as they are supposed to in the left lane) and get over, nothing.  Just sit and squat.  No reason a person like that shouldn't be pulled over and issued a citation.  

If the car in the right is doing 55 in a 55, and you are in the left doing 60 in a 55 passing them, you get over after the pass, plain and simple.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, newdude said:

So going 55mph in the left lane in a 65 is acceptable? 

Yes, in the context that the guy going 55 is passing a guy going 50.  This happens frequently and I have no charity towards the lawless speeder who is not horse smart enough to see that the 55 guy is about to pass the 50 guy and fails to speed up or slow down so nobody inconveniences anybody.

My response was directed more towards this comment:

"...and the 5+under crowd that cause more disturbances in traffic flow"

5 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Yes, in the context that the guy going 55 is passing a guy going 50.  This happens frequently and I have no charity towards the lawless speeder who is not horse smart enough to see that the 55 guy is about to pass the 50 guy and fails to speed up or slow down so nobody inconveniences anybody.

My response was directed more towards this comment:

"...and the 5+under crowd that cause more disturbances in traffic flow"

On an interstate if I’m passing on the left at 70 mph the speed limit. And someone is catching me on the left I match then pull over once my pass is complete. I use to believe you were required not to impede the left progress. Even if they were speeding. I wouldn’t do more than 10 over. That’s my limit. I don’t crowd someone if they don’t in front of me. In the days past people used to flash the highs. Hey bub move over. Counter productive these days. I let tractor trailers in too a lost art. They get no respect. 

• Like 1