2022 refreshed Sierra audio issue. MAX volume.

Klutch

Driving home tonight my radio suddenly went 100% volume in my refresh 22 Sierra.  Completely out of the blue.  It even showed on the screen the volume shooting up to 100%.  I was scrambling to turn it down and figure out WTF was going on.  Finally I just had to keep turning the manual knob as fast as I could non-stop.  Even then it took me a while to get it in the low region and maintain it there.  I was at a traffic light when it happened, I put the truck in park, shut it off and opened the door.  Since I was at a light and really couldn't give it a minute to rest it wasn't effective.  As soon as I started it back up, same problem.  Luckily I was listening to music on a a thumb drive and was able to pause it.  At first I thought maybe the steering wheel audio control was stuck but repeatedly tapped them to free them if so but no dice.  Got down the road a little and skipped a couple of tracks and it seemed to go back to normal.  Truck has 2000 miles, first time this has happened.  Anyone else???

2022 SLT CC w/Bose

I had this happen ONCE aswell, a few days after picking up the truck, it happened after I was adjusting volume with the steering wheel buttons. Has not happened since. Scared the **** haha. Hasn't done it again so not sure if it was a software glitch or a new truck sticky button...

• 1 month later...

Yes, happened to me yesterday sitting in a drive thru. Volume went full blast. Had to pause the Bluetooth from phone to get it to stop. Turned the knob and pushed the steering wheel buttons, it would go down, but go back up quicker than I could get it to go down. 

22 AT4 Refresh with Bose. 1700 miles. First time it happened. 

Edited by 22AT4Refresh

Luckily it hasn't happened to me again.  My SLT got an update recently, maybe it's addressed in that but doubt it.  I've since bought a AT4, hasn't happened in it yet.  Next time I'll be read, just hit the power button LOL. I wasn't prepared the first time and in traffic.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2022 Sierra Elevation 1500 miles on it and this just happened as I was getting on the highway, volume kept going up faster than I could turn it down.  Pulled over, shut the truck off, opened the door and restarted....same issue once I restarted.  I was listening to Sirius and switched to blue tooth to shut it off and then it let me manually adjust the volume down.  Hasn't happened since last week, definitely disorienting with the Bose system.

Happened to me this morning. I always use the steering wheel buttons to adjust volume. I was clicking it up a few notches and it just took off. Neither the knob on the dash nor the down button on the dash kept it down. It was like the up button on the wheel was being held in. I even pressed the knob to “mute” but it didn’t take since I think mute gets knocked off when you press a button to adjust the wheel.

Pressing the down button on the steering wheel as fast as I could was the only thing that made it stop, likely just a coincidence. Happened again a minute later.

2022 refresh high country. It’s going to the dealer soon to do the park assist retrofit. I’m going to have them take a look. 

Edited by Dirk13

2 hours ago, Dirk13 said:

Happened to me this morning. I always use the steering wheel buttons to adjust volume. I was clicking it up a few notches and it just took off. Neither the knob on the dash nor the down button on the dash kept it down. It was like the up button on the wheel was being held in. I even pressed the knob to “mute” but it didn’t take since I think mute gets knocked off when you press a button to adjust the wheel.

Pressing the down button on the steering wheel as fast as I could was the only thing that made it stop, likely just a coincidence. Happened again a minute later.

2022 refresh high country. It’s going to the dealer soon to do the park assist retrofit. I’m going to have them take a look. 

Curious if you have the latest software update, I haven't had the issue in a while.  I'm certain it's not a physical button/knob issue and is purely software.  It's a trip the first time it happens, I believe just reaching out and hitting the power/mute button will tame the beast immediately, FYI.  Post an update about what, if anything they find.  Short of a TSB I have zero belief a dealer will track it down and it's extremely intermittent.

Edited by Klutch

19 hours ago, Klutch said:

Curious if you have the latest software update, I haven't had the issue in a while.  I'm certain it's not a physical button/knob issue and is purely software.  It's a trip the first time it happens, I believe just reaching out and hitting the power/mute button will tame the beast immediately, FYI.  Post an update about what, if anything they find.  Short of a TSB I have zero belief a dealer will track it down and it's extremely intermittent.

I didn’t mean to imply it was a physical button issue when I said it’s “like” the button is being held in. I agree that it’s software. 

Hitting the mute/power button did nothing. Under normal operating conditions if you mute it via that button then adjust the volume  it takes it off mute. During the issue, The radio is getting a signal that the volume is being adjusted up and it gets knocked off mute immediately.

I don’t expect the dealer to do anything other than check for software updates. I could post what software version I have but I have no idea if that’s the latest. It was last updated by the dealer in March for a separate radio issue and I’ve had one OTA update since then so if not the latest it’s gotta be close. 

This just happened to me while listening to XM radio in my brand new 300 miles 2022 Sierra 1500.  Scared the ****** out of me.  The Bose speakers pack a serious punch at max volume!  Volume dial and Power/Mute button were non responsive.  I was able to select a new audio source (i-phone) on the right steering wheel dial  and bring it back to normal.   

I strongly encourage anyone having this issue  to file a NHTSA report via the website.  Its the only way to get GM's attention and open then up to liability if someone gets hurt.  My report number is 11524368.

Link to report via NHTSA:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

I found a similar issue TSBs on the 2019 Sierra

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10170421-9999.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10183183-9999.pdf

If anyone finds a solution please keep us posted.

Thanks!

Edited by bullcitysierra
updated TSB