2023 Sierra Half Ton, Polymer Leaf Springs?

General question to those with with more knowledge than myself.  Currently considering ordering a new 2023 Sierra 1500. Its been more than a decade since my last new truck purchase. Thinking of going with a 3.0 Duramax.  However a video surfaced on youtube in the last few days claiming to show a new 2023 sierra with polymer leaf springs.  Of course not everything one see's on the net is true.  Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this? Thanks

9 hours ago, jd329 said:

General question to those with with more knowledge than myself.  Currently considering ordering a new 2023 Sierra 1500. Its been more than a decade since my last new truck purchase. Thinking of going with a 3.0 Duramax.  However a video surfaced on youtube in the last few days claiming to show a new 2023 sierra with polymer leaf springs.  Of course not everything one see's on the net is true.  Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this? Thanks

Hmm.  Well that spring is new.  It is real too.  Came out on refresh 22s actually.  Looks like crew cab short box 4x4 but no idea if its with a specific engine or not.

2019-2023, Silverado Trim with 5.3L V8 (L84) Engine, LT Trim, 2WD, Crew Cab, Short Bed with 3.0L Turbo Diesel Engine and Z85 Suspension have a carbon composite lower spring and has been in use since these T1 trucks came out in 2019.  Gives them a 24lbs weight reduction in the rear (12lbs per spring).  They are a 3 leaf setup, not a mono spring, so yea, this mono spring is new.  

Edited by newdude

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 6:09 PM, latreille89 said:

So annoying, can't use my blocks from my 21 Silverado now...

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

Crazy setup they went with.  I've seen the catalog drawing of it, interesting to see a live one.

As for lifting, this is definitely where the GM Trail Boss steel spring kits would have to come in play.  On that 2 inch lift they sell its required to swap composites for steels to install the lift.

It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket can produce for lifting and re-using the composite mono leaf setup.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, ExYukon said:

I finally got a look at a 2023 Silverado 1500 with max trailering (crew cab, short box, 4x4,6.2).  The rear springs are three leaves, not just one, and they look like steel.

Yeah, that's just regular leaf springs. GM really turned me off by not advertising the new polymer leafs at all and just dropping them in the trucks. Seems to be Chev LT models and GMC Elevations without max tow but with x31 or z71 that are getting them.

• 3 months later...

My 2023 SLT X31 has them. Drives me crazy...my fault for not noticing until after my purchase. Rides fine but I haven't had any towing experience with it yet...we'll see. The towing capacity is still pretty good so I guess they got it figured out.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/6/2023 at 2:57 PM, Low Elevation said:

Bumping an old thread. How can i find out if my truck has the mono leaf rear suspension or not? I have a 2023 GMC Sierra Elevation Crew Cab 2WD truck with the 2.7T motor. Sorry I'm new at this. Thanks. 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:14 AM, newdude said:

Crazy setup they went with.  I've seen the catalog drawing of it, interesting to see a live one.

As for lifting, this is definitely where the GM Trail Boss steel spring kits would have to come in play.  On that 2 inch lift they sell its required to swap composites for steels to install the lift.

It will be interesting to see what the aftermarket can produce for lifting and re-using the composite mono leaf setup.  

On 9/17/2023 at 12:36 AM, newdude said:

New to the forum. I purchase a 22 Sierra that also had these springs, when exiting my drive way I get this loud cracking/snapping noise from the passenger side. Can anyone explain this? Trucks had multiple visits to the dealership, torqued U bolts, replace leaf spring inserts, no fix.