Rack and pinion or gearbox

2 hours ago, Mourie Collier said:

So I have a 02 Chevy trailblazer that needs a new rack n pinion and I have a friend that has a 1999 Silverado 1500 that I was gonna take the part from but he told me that it has a gearbox not rack and pinion. Can't find a definite answer online anywhere so is this correct?

If it is a 1500 (new body style for 1999), it should have a rack and pinion. I replaced the one on mine, it was a 2WD, so I can not speak for the 4WD version trucks.

57 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

If it is a 1500 (new body style for 1999), it should have a rack and pinion. I replaced the one on mine, it was a 2WD, so I can not speak for the 4WD version trucks.

4X4 is gear box 99-06.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mourie Collier said:

So I have a 02 Chevy trailblazer that needs a new rack n pinion and I have a friend that has a 1999 Silverado 1500 that I was gonna take the part from but he told me that it has a gearbox not rack and pinion. Can't find a definite answer online anywhere so is this correct?

4x4 Silverados 1999-2006 have a gearbox steering system.  2WD use rack and pinion, HOWEVER, the rack from a Silverado would NOT fit a Trailblazer at all.  

You need the proper rack for your truck.  Plenty of remanufactured options out there, if you have to go used, it would have to be from a Trailblazer or its siblings like GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada or Buick Rainier from 2002-2009. 

There is two different ones also, one is a standard ratio, the other is variable ratio so you may need to find that out from your VIN number.