One TPMS Sensor Died, Replace All?

So, I got a warning light on the dashboard for tire pressure.  Scrolled to the TPMS page and saw --- on the front left.  I've rolled the dice on these and re-used them for at least a couple sets of tires.  No surprise I got a dead one after these tires have been on for a few years. 

So, I decided to roll the dice with some Schrader brand preprogrammed sensors from Rock Auto @ $21 ea.  I ordered 4.  I'm tempted to just change out the one, myself in the driveway.  Opinions?

My sensors have been out for years. Decided to have them all changed out. The tire shop installed 

Schrader universals and they did not work with my 2007 Siverado. They may have not programed the frequency or vehicle correctly, whatever. So, I bought 4 GM OEM sensors from Rockauto. Does anybody know if these need programing or just relearning the tire position. They are going to be reinstalled next week. This is a big deal since they are in the tire. It  truly is a very nice safety feature and would be nice to have.

Programming or relearning on TPMS is all wireless, so it doesn't matter if the sensor is already installed in the tire or not. Basically is just needs to be the correct style sensor and the correct frequency for it to work. Any of the nicer TPMS tools can do the job.

To the OP, you're more than welcome to try it in your driveway but breaking the bead of the tire and pushing it down far enough to get a bit driver in there might give you problems.

On 10/29/2022 at 6:03 AM, Tazzinut said:

My sensors have been out for years. Decided to have them all changed out. The tire shop installed 

Schrader universals and they did not work with my 2007 Siverado. They may have not programed the frequency or vehicle correctly, whatever. So, I bought 4 GM OEM sensors from Rockauto. Does anybody know if these need programing or just relearning the tire position. They are going to be reinstalled next week. This is a big deal since they are in the tire. It  truly is a very nice safety feature and would be nice to have.

I believe the OEM sensors don't need programming.  But you have to follow your manual on how to learn the tire position, or use a generic "activation" tool.   As mentioned, you should be able to set it on top of the tire (if the sensor in that tire is dead) and activate the sensor.  

Edited by Spurshot

On 10/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, CamGTP said:

To the OP, you're more than welcome to try it in your driveway but breaking the bead of the tire and pushing it down far enough to get a bit driver in there might give you problems.

I was just going to use my HiLift like breaking down a tire on the trail for my Jeep.  Then snap off the stem, pull out the old sensor and replace with a new stem and sensor.  If I were doing all of them, I'd just take it in to a shop.  

On 11/2/2022 at 8:32 AM, Spurshot said:

I was just going to use my HiLift like breaking down a tire on the trail for my Jeep.  Then snap off the stem, pull out the old sensor and replace with a new stem and sensor.  If I were doing all of them, I'd just take it in to a shop.  

Most of the time I ride the 'don't fix what ain't broke buss'. On TPMS sensors I ride the change them all buss. Battery life is finite and what takes them out baring physical damage. I have all four out on the Terrain. About 8 months from first to last after seven years. Will change out on this tire replacement. Hey....it's an opinion.  :)

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 7:41 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Most of the time I ride the 'don't fix what ain't broke buss'. On TPMS sensors I ride the change them all buss. Battery life is finite and what takes them out baring physical damage. I have all four out on the Terrain. About 8 months from first to last after seven years. Will change out on this tire replacement. Hey....it's an opinion.  :)

My question may have been answered.  Yesterday, I saw all 4 positions with dashed lines displayed.  Hope it's not the transceiver module.  

If I lay a TPMS sensor on top of the tire and use my activation tool, what would the dash screen read, if anything?

2 hours ago, Spurshot said:

My question may have been answered.  Yesterday, I saw all 4 positions with dashed lines displayed.  Hope it's not the transceiver module.  

If I lay a TPMS sensor on top of the tire and use my activation tool, what would the dash screen read, if anything?

:dunno:

Couldn't read a pressure. There isn't any. But would it read zero?