Transmission Cooler for 2021 Silverado z71

26 minutes ago, malibu43 said:

Thanks. They seem to only have products for diesels. They have one for the 3.0 Duramax. I wonder if ot will fit a 5.3l 1500. 

Should be able to select your vehicle and gasoline engine.

I only know of them cause when the ecm for my Duramax gets unlocked their will be a sickening amount of money spent on PPE from @DemonWorkssite. 

FWIW, the shared with Ford 10 speed does have an ability to bypass the trans thermostat - you just have to remove the valve body to do so. Few videos out there on you tube. 

Unsure what the GM 10 speed cooler looks like, but IIRC the Ford one is a rectangular finned fluid to fluid with convection exchanger mounted forward on the gearbox.

• 2 months later...

Did the "Pill Flip" this last weekend.  Took less than an hour, and that included started and then stopping for 15 minutes when I realized the transmission was still too hot and needed to cool down.  Highest temp I've see so far is 140, mostly in the 120-130 range.  No towing yet.

I'll report back later in the month after we take our trailer out.  It will be local towing at sea level, so not a real test though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to give an update on transmission temps while towing after doing the pill flip.  It was up around 100 for the last week and I probably did about 700mi of towing.  Flat, freeway towing temps are between 165-185 (in general).  So it does run a bit cooler overall.  Pulling West on hwy 58 through Tehachapi, temps got up around 194.  Towing southbound over the grapevine on I5 I got just over 200.  On the climb up into the campground (same windy, slow 2 lane highway we climbed last year) temps still sat around 220 for about 15 minutes, and then the last 5 minutes got as high as 245.  The last 5 minutes was still a slight climb at really slow speeds (10mph maybe) due to the road being very rough with lots of potholes and ruts.

So I think as long as you are keep a lot of cool air moving over the transmission cooler, the pill flip does keep the temps a little lower.  But once the airflow dies down, my temps still skyrocket while towing.

I'm going to reach out to someone at PPE to find out if an upgraded transmission cooler would even help in that scenario.  I would guess that the effectiveness of a larger air-cooled transmission cooler drops off quite a bit as the air-flow decreases...

Edited by malibu43

12 hours ago, malibu43 said:

Nice. What kind of conditions? Towing?  Highway speeds or slow climbs?

Honestly it was just on a planned daily driving "loop" in traffic and on a 45 mph open stretch of road before the install and again after.

The outside temps were within 10 degrees of each other on that day from the morning until later in the afternoon.

• 8 months later...

I’ve got a 2022 1500 Limited SLT with the 6.2 and trans temps never got above the 170s even in stop and go traffic in the summer.  In late September of last year, I added the bigger PPE transmission cooler.  Couldn’t get the temps above 145 when trying to top the fluid off after the install.

In November, I added a BDS 4” lift and decided to see where the fluid level was at with the truck sitting differently at rest and sure enough, I had to add another 1/2 quart of fluid to top the transmission off and I filled it up after a decent trip so the trans was at the same 145* I topped it off at originally.

A few weeks ago, I went from where I live in SC to Atlanta, GA, and the temps never climbed above 150* even with the God awful traffic I ran into up there.  Wasn’t towing anything and the ambient temps were in the upper 60’s.  I was worried about the transmission temps not getting up to the 156-158* called for in the fill procedure, but after that trip (3.5 hours each way), I feel that my truck’s thermostat is fully open at 145*.  With spring and summer around the corner, if I see it reach between 150 and 160, I’ll check the fluid again when the time comes, but calling it good for now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 6:48 PM, BigOlly83 said:

I’ve got a 2022 1500 Limited SLT with the 6.2 and trans temps never got above the 170s even in stop and go traffic in the summer.  In late September of last year, I added the bigger PPE transmission cooler.  Couldn’t get the temps above 145 when trying to top the fluid off after the install.

In November, I added a BDS 4” lift and decided to see where the fluid level was at with the truck sitting differently at rest and sure enough, I had to add another 1/2 quart of fluid to top the transmission off and I filled it up after a decent trip so the trans was at the same 145* I topped it off at originally.

A few weeks ago, I went from where I live in SC to Atlanta, GA, and the temps never climbed above 150* even with the God awful traffic I ran into up there.  Wasn’t towing anything and the ambient temps were in the upper 60’s.  I was worried about the transmission temps not getting up to the 156-158* called for in the fill procedure, but after that trip (3.5 hours each way), I feel that my truck’s thermostat is fully open at 145*.  With spring and summer around the corner, if I see it reach between 150 and 160, I’ll check the fluid again when the time comes, but calling it good for now.

Are you running the 10 speed Trans?

I have a 21 TrailBoss 6.2L/10speed that I tow a 9k lb travel trailer with. last year trans temp in the summer got to 235 and was stressing me out. We just went out for the first trip this year, outside temp was in the 60s and the trans was running between 180 and 210.

Ive read AMS oil claims that their fluid reduces temps by 20*... IDK that i believe that claim, but I would love to get the temps down 20 or 30*

Edited by Flyboygt

Yep, 6.2 L87 with 10L80.  Have never towed anything with the truck, but even with temps getting in the 80’s again here in SC, the transmission hasn’t seen more than 147 when sitting in traffic fully warmed up and it drops back down around 140-142 once I get her moving again.