Help deciding which hitch mount. What do you guys run?

I bought the Weigh-Safe 180 hitch with 2.5" shank and 8" drop. I have a second slider so It works with 1 7/8, 2 inch and 2 5/16. With the 2 5/16 ball, it's rated at 18,500 pounds.

runs about $400 all in.

The last hitch you'll ever buy.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions and all of these hitches are of course amazing. 

I picked up the aluma tow one for 220 locally so I’m gonna give it a try. 

I like it already comes with the 3 balls, two locks with four matching keys and a carrying case. I don’t tow as often as a lot of ppl and even though this one has a max of 12k pounds, I don’t see myself towing that much. 

I like the case because I’ll be keeping it under the seat until it’s needed.  

if I hate it I can easily return it. 

• Like 1

Okay give me your guys opinion please on if this is a lot of slop both at the receiver and the actual shaft to ball mount location. 

How does this amount of movement compare to your guys B&W or weigh safe?

I could still return if this seems excessive. 

thanks! 

Just now, Jettech1 said:

Yikes.........I wouldn't like that at all.  That thing is going to be noisy as hell.  Seems to be cheaply made with that much slop in it.

I’m worried because it’s aluminum it will bore itself out over time. 

I just got a weigh safe coupon in my email(of course tye day after I got this hitch mount) so wondering how much slop you guys with weigh safe have. And also b&w

36 minutes ago, Pryme said:

I’m worried because it’s aluminum it will bore itself out over time. 

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-drop-Solid-Steel-Rating/dp/B07CY98H1X?th=1

What do you think about this one?  It gets great reviews and is relatively easy on the pocket.  

4 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-drop-Solid-Steel-Rating/dp/B07CY98H1X?th=1

What do you think about this one?  It gets great reviews and is relatively easy on the pocket.  

It’s only a 2” shank. I’m leaning towards weigh safe. I called them and they seem very nice on the phone. Trying to decide between 6” or 8” drop. I think 6 is plenty based on seeing this 8” one I tossed on the truck today. 

• Like 1

My wife just ordered the one I attached the link to so we can just try it.  I prefer the 2" using the sleeve, only because I can use it in a class 3 and 4 hitch if needed.  But heck yeah, going with the 2.5" one makes a lot of sense too.  Thank you for posting the results of the one you just bought.  All I can think of is "return to sender" LOL....

• Like 1

Well I went and ordered a weigh safe. I decided on steel. I know a lot of ppl like the aluminum but I won’t ever keep this on the truck if I’m not towing and I feel steel will be more durable long term. 
I went with the 2.5” shank and 8” drop. Anything I ever want to tow should be covered with this set up. 

it can handle up to 22k pounds so way more than I’ll ever tow but piece of mind it will be a brick shithouse. 

they also offer a molded plastic case which I also got because like I said, I will be keeping this inside the cab when not in use. 

the Chinese one is going back tonight. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nards444 said:

One thing to keep in mind since you are going new is to ensure the hitch matches the weight of the truck hauling capacity.  and ensure you get the 2.5in so you dont have to use the sleeve,  once less piece to worry about then

Yeah I went with the 2.5” and it’s rated for 22k pounds with the 2 5/16 ball with 2,400 tongue weight. So more than the truck is even rated for 

• Like 1

This thing is a brick shithouse.  Insanely heavy duty and top notch build quality. 

most people go with aluminum for two reasons. It’s lighter and it doesn’t rust. 

The weight is a non issue for me and I won’t ever keep it in the receiver when I’m not towing. So for me, I went steel. 

61323DFB-C1AE-4576-8ED1-7F771B18CD0F.jpeg