Help deciding which hitch mount. What do you guys run?

Okay so for anyone who’s bored and wants to check out a 6min video, I just made my steel weigh safe hitch compatible with the case weigh safe sells. 
 long story short, when I added my steel hitch set into the cart, the case popped up along with other add ons for accessories. I didn’t even know they had a case so I added it along with the hitch set. 

then when reviewing my order it said case for aluminum hitch. Say what?!

So I asked them (after it already shipped) why the case pops up as an add on accessory when putting the steel hitch into the cart? They said they agree it should not do that and will bring to web design’s attention. 

It would still cost me 10 bucks out of my return to send it back. No free returns. I’m not going to argue about it. Instead, I make stuff work. 

needless to say, the incompatible case is now perfectly compatible. 

before and after pic of the new “molds”

9F578B9A-0AA1-431E-AD35-4C0E915A5E01.jpeg

1EEEAFB9-8BF5-49E2-9CCD-27DBF557E67B.jpeg

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 1

The video. 

I like the idea of this case because I don’t plan on keeping the hitch in the receiver unless I’m using it. Also all the parts snap into the case rather than throwing them into a bag or bin and having a piece go missing. This way I can make sure it’s all there when I need it. 

• Like 2

I thought about getting one of these since with my next trailer I'm going to have to check my tongue weights often due to variables with my load shifting, mainly due to consumable liquids (at least until I've used it long enough to know how they affect my weight). They are certainly useful and I'm sure you will enjoy having it.

But I personally still want the Curt hitch I mentioned earlier in the thread. I believe it will provide a smoother pull. I also will likely leave it locked in the receiver all of the time.

Since It wouldn't make sense to buy both hitches, I'll buy a portable scale like the one below instead. It all comes down to preference.

Screenshot_20230221_165254_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr1ft3r said:

I thought about getting one of these since with my next trailer I'm going to have to check my tongue weights often due to variables with my load shifting, mainly due to consumable liquids (at least until I've used it long enough to know how they affect my weight). They are certainly useful and I'm sure you will enjoy having it.

But I personally still want the Curt hitch I mentioned earlier in the thread. I believe it will provide a smoother pull. I also will likely leave it locked in the receiver all of the time.

Since It wouldn't make sense to buy both hitches, I'll buy a portable scale like the one below instead. It all comes down to preference.

Screenshot_20230221_165254_Chrome.jpg

Be careful leaving that 600.00 Curt one on your truck. Anyone with a cordless angle grinder can cut the locking pin off the receiver pretty quickly. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Be careful leaving that 600.00 Curt one on your truck. Anyone with a cordless angle grinder can cut the locking pin off the receiver pretty quickly. 

If you get a good one that is hardened it will still take a few minutes and will be throwing sparks like the 4th of July. They better be wearing ski masks too or else they'll be on camera, lol.

I'm usually in places where I don't have to worry about theft if I actually lock it up. People here leave their vehicles running while they are in Walmart (older vehicles requiring actual keys).

Anyway, I've always got stuff with me that would appeal to thieves, but I lock them up. My ATV is with me right now.

20230221_194549.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 6:38 PM, Pryme said:

I don't think I'm getting that Curt Rebellion anyway. With the new trailer I'm likely buying I will need a rise since the hitch height appears to be around 29"-30", which is well above the hitch receiver on my truck and that Rebellion cannot be used upside down to give a rise. I may get the hitch you bought. I'm still looking. I know that I don't want aluminum though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

I don't think I'm getting that Curt Rebellion anyway. With the new trailer I'm likely buying I will need a rise since the hitch height appears to be around 29"-30", which is well above the hitch receiver on my truck and that Rebellion cannot be used upside down to give a rise. I may get the hitch you bought. I'm still looking. I know that I don't want aluminum though.

I’ll be using my new hitch in early March. It should be good, it appears very well made and heavy duty. 

what trailer are you getting with a 29-30” hitch height?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pryme said:

I’ll be using my new hitch in early March. It should be good, it appears very well made and heavy duty. 

what trailer are you getting with a 29-30” hitch height?

Let us know how you like it!

I'm maybe getting a 24TRX. If not I will get a 27 or a 29. But I'm definitely getting one of them.

I decided to go with this B&W hitch. I try to buy American made when I can. It's a little cheaper than that Curt, but it was still on the pricy side.

Screenshot_20230223_121946_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

Let us know how you like it!

I'm maybe getting a 24TRX. If not I will get a 27 or a 29. But I'm definitely getting one of them.

I decided to go with this B&W hitch. I try to buy American made when I can. It's a little cheaper than that Curt, but it was still on the pricy side.

Screenshot_20230223_121946_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Yeah I like that the weigh safe stuff is made in America as well as b&w and Curt. That one will be excellent too

On 2/27/2023 at 8:58 AM, nocturnalmotors said:

Guys that have went the B&W or other adjustable styles, how do they hold up after a few years of road salt? I'm in MN.

B&W here, have 3 of them. Salt isn't an issue, but country roads are. The pins are stainless and fit tight. Dust packs in the pin holes. I try and blow out every now and again. Tried using silicone grease. That just made it worse as it just made dust stick. I now just use them dry. Water works good also to clean, just not in the winter.

• Like 2