Factory “tint” or dyed glass, does it reduce UV, heat, etc?

Not sure how I can’t find a definitive on this, but, I am trying to decide if I put a clear UV tint behind the factory tint, or if it already provides the same benefit as tint and should just do the fronts to match the back and be done.

When I was young, and no kids, I just wanted it to look cool, now I’d love the UV/heat benefit all around, but was curious on how the factory “tint” holds up.

9 minutes ago, ero2 said:

Not sure how I can’t find a definitive on this, but, I am trying to decide if I put a clear UV tint behind the factory tint, or if it already provides the same benefit as tint and should just do the fronts to match the back and be done.

When I was young, and no kids, I just wanted it to look cool, now I’d love the UV/heat benefit all around, but was curious on how the factory “tint” holds up.

Right from the folks at GM:

21-NA-152: Information on Glass Ultraviolet (UV) Ray Protection and Tint Percentage

Ultraviolet Ray Protection:

Windshield reduces UV rays down to 4% or less.

Front side door glass reduces UV rays down to 35% or less.

Rear window, doors, or 1/4 glass reduces UV rays down to 35% or less (Without RPO AJ1 or AKO).

Rear window, doors, or 1/4 glass reduces UV rays down to 10% or less if equipped with Privacy Glass (With RPO AJ1 or AKO).

Sunroof reduce to 10% or less.

Tint Percentage:

Windshields are SOLAR glass with a light transmittance of >/=70%.

Front door glass are Solar glass with a light transmission of >/=70%.

Rear door glass, quarter windows and back windows can use either Solar glass (>/=70%) or Privacy glass, which has a light transmittance of (nominally) 20%.

*Basically, if the glass is 'light green' in color, it is solar glass. If it is the dark gray/black glass, it is Privacy glass.

2 hours ago, newdude said:

Right from the folks at GM:

21-NA-152: Information on Glass Ultraviolet (UV) Ray Protection and Tint Percentage

Ultraviolet Ray Protection:

Windshield reduces UV rays down to 4% or less.

Front side door glass reduces UV rays down to 35% or less.

Rear window, doors, or 1/4 glass reduces UV rays down to 35% or less (Without RPO AJ1 or AKO).

Rear window, doors, or 1/4 glass reduces UV rays down to 10% or less if equipped with Privacy Glass (With RPO AJ1 or AKO).

Sunroof reduce to 10% or less.

Tint Percentage:

Windshields are SOLAR glass with a light transmittance of >/=70%.

Front door glass are Solar glass with a light transmission of >/=70%.

Rear door glass, quarter windows and back windows can use either Solar glass (>/=70%) or Privacy glass, which has a light transmittance of (nominally) 20%.

*Basically, if the glass is 'light green' in color, it is solar glass. If it is the dark gray/black glass, it is Privacy glass.

So it would seem that throwing an extra layer of ceramic tint on my back 3 windows (crew cab) will be little to no benefit.  If I want the windows to match, throw some tint on the front, but ultimately it’ll all “work” or provide the same benefit?  Am I Reading that right?

11 hours ago, ero2 said:

So it would seem that throwing an extra layer of ceramic tint on my back 3 windows (crew cab) will be little to no benefit.  If I want the windows to match, throw some tint on the front, but ultimately it’ll all “work” or provide the same benefit?  Am I Reading that right?

I put 3M ceramic tint over all of my "privacy dyed" glass and the front two windows. I've already noticed a difference in the temperature when my truck sits in the sun all day. the inside doesn't get as hot as it used to, and the sun doesn't "burn" my skin while driving.

When my tint shop measured the original level of the "privacy dyed" glass, the front two windows were 70% and the rear windows were 24%.

Edited by LAAC

In many cases, the darker ones don't do much.

The ceramic tint, oh, goodness! Huge difference. What sucks is that when it's cold, my interior doesn't warm up as much as it used to! Ha ha, but it's good in the summers. Can't win 'em all.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, ero2 said:

Pepper came with the RPO code AKP GLASS, SOLOR ABSORBING , and I added 3M Solar Tint over all of it to the darkest legal for my state and the maximum 6" front visor. The heat reduction was unmistakable and now eight years later the interior still looks new. 

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.93773348112168fad50fad7c51c2ce7d.JPGIMG_0760.thumb.JPG.c17d2e4d160dffb5387bd385bfe3c59e.JPG

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Pepper came with the RPO code AKP GLASS, SOLOR ABSORBING , and I added 3M Solar Tint over all of it to the darkest legal for my state and the maximum 6" front visor. The heat reduction was unmistakable and now eight years later the interior still looks new. 

IMG_0160.thumb.JPG.93773348112168fad50fad7c51c2ce7d.JPGIMG_0760.thumb.JPG.c17d2e4d160dffb5387bd385bfe3c59e.JPG

So ceramic over whatever the rears came with (guess I need to look at my window sticker?) would provide good heat reduction, keep the interior nicer, etc?

Ultimately, it’s worth the cost to put something in addition to what the truck ships with all around?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ero2 said:

So ceramic over whatever the rears came with (guess I need to look at my window sticker?) would provide good heat reduction, keep the interior nicer, etc?

Ultimately, it’s worth the cost to put something in addition to what the truck ships with all around?

I have solar glass and the tint reduced temps even more. AC is never taxed. But yes, look at newdudes RPO codes.