I must be weird; Long Bed SRW

10 hours ago, IDBrett said:

I have not bought a brand new vehicle since 1995. A Pontiac Trans Am. An experience that caused me to say never again.

Guess never lasted 28 years.

I used to love the look of those TA’s back then. What was wrong with yours?

The experience that soured me was the dealership experience trying to get anything done under warranty. Three different dealerships, three different states. 

One such experience was a crooked one; X-wife took TA in for CE light on=smog pump. Dealer printed off a repair quote for $800+ and told her it was not covered under warranty. They also told her driving it that way would damage the engine. At the time we did not have the money, so she left the dealer and brought it home so we could discuss. I looked into it and learned about "Federal Emissions Warranty". The manufacturer was responsible for the cost and repair. I returned to said dealer, chewed some ass, listened to their song and dance, got smog pump replaced on GM's dime.

One such experience was incompetence; transmission mount failed due to oil leak causing excessive movement of driveshaft which led to pinion seal leaking. Dealer performed repair and while replacing pinion seal, over torqued the hell out of the pinion nut. Leaving the dealer the rear diff. was growling like a mofo. I went back, they told me to pound sand, ain't nothing wrong. Did a 800 mile round trip run a couple days later. Over 90% interstate at 65 mph+. The noise was incredible. When arriving at destination and emptying the trunk I discovered stuff was very warm down at the bottom. A 3 D cell  mag light was almost too hot to pick up. After the trip the TA went back to the dealer and had the ring/pinion gear set replaced. I asked for the old parts back and kept them in a box for years. They were chewed up bad.

I could go on. But won't. It is dredging up ghosts. It is making me rethink the $500 deposit I have on the '23.....

58 minutes ago, IDBrett said:

The experience that soured me was the dealership experience trying to get anything done under warranty. Three different dealerships, three different states. 

One such experience was a crooked one; X-wife took TA in for CE light on=smog pump. Dealer printed off a repair quote for $800+ and told her it was not covered under warranty. They also told her driving it that way would damage the engine. At the time we did not have the money, so she left the dealer and brought it home so we could discuss. I looked into it and learned about "Federal Emissions Warranty". The manufacturer was responsible for the cost and repair. I returned to said dealer, chewed some ass, listened to their song and dance, got smog pump replaced on GM's dime.

One such experience was incompetence; transmission mount failed due to oil leak causing excessive movement of driveshaft which led to pinion seal leaking. Dealer performed repair and while replacing pinion seal, over torqued the hell out of the pinion nut. Leaving the dealer the rear diff. was growling like a mofo. I went back, they told me to pound sand, ain't nothing wrong. Did a 800 mile round trip run a couple days later. Over 90% interstate at 65 mph+. The noise was incredible. When arriving at destination and emptying the trunk I discovered stuff was very warm down at the bottom. A 3 D cell  mag light was almost too hot to pick up. After the trip the TA went back to the dealer and had the ring/pinion gear set replaced. I asked for the old parts back and kept them in a box for years. They were chewed up bad.

I could go on. But won't. It is dredging up ghosts. It is making me rethink the $500 deposit I have on the '23.....

I did have three transmission mounts go bad. My wife was, is a lead foot. It did use oil, a qt every 2500 miles. At 100K miles a cat went bad. We replaced with a pipe. I was using Amsoil with that one. Five changes in 130k. My wife, my son and myself got lots of enjoyment out of that Z-28 as well as the 94 impala.

• Like 1

Naw man, not weird for being a LB person and you're not alone. That's what has taken me so long, among other things, to finally get an order. I'm a hard no on a short bed because of how I use it.  To me, a pickup comes with an 8' bed while others could never consider one. That's why they make both :D but yea, LB's are not as big a seller or as popular. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

Naw man, not weird for being a LB person and you're not alone. That's what has taken me so long, among other things, to finally get an order. I'm a hard no on a short bed because of how I use it.  To me, a pickup comes with an 8' bed while others could never consider one. That's why they make both :D but yea, LB's are not as big a seller or as popular. 

I currently have a deposit on a "standard bed". It grates on me like nails on a chalk board. We as a family are in a situation where our daily driver and tow rig need (want) replacing. Our third vehicle that just doesn't want to die is the 94 in the avatar pic. It is a long bed and will hang around til it dies. Still keeping a look out for a LB and if one comes available there WILL BE a discussion....but ya'll probably know "happy wife is a happy life".

I'm more concerned about the bed length than cab layout.

Chevy I'm ok with either double cab or crew cab.

Super Duty I would want the crew simply because the crew cab long bed gets you a 48 gallon tank.

With a F150 I would need the HDPP, which can be had with either a crew cab and 6.5 foot bed or Supercab with the 8 foot bed. I have a wife and 3 kids, I'd still pick the Supercab because of the 8 foot bed.

• Like 2

I'm with you, I like my 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Single rear tire truck.  I've got the second one now and after everthing that I have added to it I'm done with extras, just going to drive it!!!!

They seem to sell a lot of “standard bed” HDs new, but it seems like over half of the people I’ve run into hoping to find a used late model HD truck (GM or Ford) want a long bed.  Different markets I guess. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the std bed on GM is bigger than 1500s....almost 7ft, it's sufficient for me but I wouldn't scoff at long bed....especially in dbl cab config

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 7:38 AM, IDBrett said:

I currently have a deposit on a "standard bed". It grates on me like nails on a chalk board. We as a family are in a situation where our daily driver and tow rig need (want) replacing. Our third vehicle that just doesn't want to die is the 94 in the avatar pic. It is a long bed and will hang around til it dies. Still keeping a look out for a LB and if one comes available there WILL BE a discussion....but ya'll probably know "happy wife is a happy life".

So how's your search going? Inventory seems to be trickling in round my area. Couple months back, we did find a 23 Denali w/LB but I said no way in hell I'm buying a Duramax, just stupid in my situation. And then I said, no way, never intended to spend that much and all the fancy stuff goes to waste on me. If I want pampered in leather be it hot or cold outside, I'll jump in the Impala and burn half the gas spoiled rotten. I just love this car 😍

16 hours ago, Leonardo Willi said:

So how's your search going? Inventory seems to be trickling in round my area. Couple months back, we did find a 23 Denali w/LB but I said no way in hell I'm buying a Duramax, just stupid in my situation. And then I said, no way, never intended to spend that much and all the fancy stuff goes to waste on me. If I want pampered in leather be it hot or cold outside, I'll jump in the Impala and burn half the gas spoiled rotten. I just love this car 😍

I ended up finding a 23 Silverado 2500 HD Custom.......Standard Bed. A big dealership chain in the PNW had all their 23 HD models discounted by $4k. Plus the $500 GM cash and $500 Military Veteran discount got me $5k off sticker. I bought a one way plane ticket and drove 8 hours back home. 

It wasn't the one I had a deposit on. Which was also a std bed. It was still in transit to a dealership (8 hour drive in the other direction) when the bigger discounted truck became available. I couldn't pass it up, considering my local dealers were asking $5-$7k over sticker for 1-2 year old used trucks. And every "in transit" 2500/3500 6.6 gas truck had a customer waiting at all my local dealers.

I swore I'd never own anything but a long bed (I've owned them all ie. short, long, step side). They were too difficult to find. Closest one was 600+ miles away. We're replacing my wife's daily driver (05 Yukon) and our camper tow rig (01 Suburban) with one vehicle. Parking/driving would've been a pain with a long bed. Happy wife, happy life.

My 94 2500 Silverado, 6.5 turbo diesel, long bed, 225k miles,  has been reliable for 15 years so I still have a long bed. I'll keep it until it can't be maintained any longer.

Edited by IDBrett
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IDBrett said:

I ended up finding a 23 Silverado 2500 HD Custom.......Standard Bed. A big dealership chain in the PNW had all their 23 HD models discounted by $4k. Plus the $500 GM cash and $500 Military Veteran discount got me $5k off sticker. I bought a one way plane ticket and drove 8 hours back home. 

It wasn't the one I had a deposit on. Which was also a std bed. It was still in transit to a dealership (8 hour drive in the other direction) when the bigger discounted truck became available. I couldn't pass it up, considering my local dealers were asking $5-$7k over sticker for 1-2 year old used trucks. And every "in transit" 2500/3500 6.6 gas truck had a customer waiting at all my local dealers.

I swore I'd never own anything but a long bed (I've owned them all ie. short, long, step side). They were too difficult to find. Closest one was 600+ miles away. We're replacing my wife's daily driver (05 Yukon) and our camper tow rig (01 Suburban) with one vehicle. Parking/driving would've been a pain with a long bed. Happy wife, happy life.

My 94 2500 Silverado, 6.5 turbo diesel, long bed, 225k miles,  has been reliable for 15 years so I still have a long bed. I'll keep it until it can't be maintained any longer.

You got a pretty good deal out of all that after all. A farmer friend/client was dead set on reg cab/LB but he's a Ford guy. His 250SD diesel chucked a rod through the block so he was in a serious pinch with harvest on the way - Everyone was jacking them up way over sticker, some as much as 7 or 8k even a couple hundred miles away for the few he was able to find. Same as you, he found one in Fl, one way ticket and drove it home 18hrs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonardo Willi said:

You got a pretty good deal out of all that after all. A farmer friend/client was dead set on reg cab/LB but he's a Ford guy. His 250SD diesel chucked a rod through the block so he was in a serious pinch with harvest on the way - Everyone was jacking them up way over sticker, some as much as 7 or 8k even a couple hundred miles away for the few he was able to find. Same as you, he found one in Fl, one way ticket and drove it home 18hrs.  

And to think I started out looking to save some money by buying a 1-3 year old truck....

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, IDBrett said:

And to think I started out looking to save some money by buying a 1-3 year old truck....

😂🤣😂 ~ OMG, that's so damn funny ~ exactly how we ended up buying the HD in 2016. Got so sick of looking for same thing-absolutely no way our usage and needs justify a new truck, year or 2 30k or under would be perfect!....yeah right - But it was the best thing we ever did, no regrets, especially considering how my deal went trading it under 14k miles. 

• Like 1