I must be weird; Long Bed SRW

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

No I meant with the tailgate in the closed position and leaning wood against it while transporting it in the bed. I always am Leary about leaning too much on the closed tailgate 

Is that because you worry about the weight of the wood causing damage to the tailgate?

I was thinking that you were worried that it might open. I am fairly certain that it will not open do to a mechanical issue. But an electrical issue that causes it to open is always a possibility.

39 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

Is that because you worry about the weight of the wood causing damage to the tailgate?

I was thinking that you were worried that it might open. I am fairly certain that it will not open do to a mechanical issue. But an electrical issue that causes it to open is always a possibility.

Yeah, more about the weight of the wood on the tailgate. I’m sure it can handle plenty even with bumps. 

as a contractor i had quite a bit of weight against a closed tailgate and never was it sketchy......the standard bed in the HD is almost 7ft which is awesome.....long bed is 8'2" i believe.....i have no issues with standard bed, always hauling and loading daily

• Thanks 1

Besides the looks of it(which I don’t like),  an 8ft bed just adds length to something that is already big enough.  I can see if I was contractor something having this, but as a normal run of the mill guy, no thanks.  Standard bed(not a short bed) is still 6’8” or something and put the tailgate down you get more.  IMO if you need something that long get a trailer

• Like 1

just my personal opinion, if you want a crew cab get a short bed. if you want a long bed get a reg cab. both together is just too much for most places to actually manuver around . maybe go test drive one and take it somewhere tight to see if you can live with it or not first.

IMG_20210616_135957.jpg

IMG_20210810_152428.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nards444 said:

Besides the looks of it(which I don’t like),  an 8ft bed just adds length to something that is already big enough.  I can see if I was contractor something having this, but as a normal run of the mill guy, no thanks.  Standard bed(not a short bed) is still 6’8” or something and put the tailgate down you get more.  IMO if you need something that long get a trailer

It’s actually like 6’10” plenty long for most. I’ve been happy with it. 

I like my long bed with the crew cab. Longer wheelbase = smoother ride and less front end lift when towing. I even made the truck about 10" longer with heavy duty steel bumpers and a grille guard.

I spend most of my time in the countryside and don't have to worry too much about tight places. But if I find myself at a store with it I usually park in the rear of the lot to avoid issues. I've learned to adapt to the length.

If I really need a smaller vehicle though, I have one. This truck isn't my only vehicle.

To each his own.

• Like 1

Looking at the HD truck market as it is right now a long bed is few and far between. Pricing with the standard bed (6' 11") for 2020 or newer with a 6.6 GAS motor is much closer to being affordable.

My plan two weeks ago was for a 60-90 window before purchase. But looking at all the shiny new trucks is tempting.

Used is going for sticker price near me and 23 models aren't far off. Incentives in the HD market are starting to pop up. Not near big enough in my opinion. They have a "take delivery by 5/1" so maybe next month will be better. Then again there is pent up demand for HD trucks. If I was to be patient I'd run my old rigs another year...

Edited by IDBrett
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, IDBrett said:

Looking at the HD truck market as it is right now a long bed is few and far between. Pricing with the standard bed (6' 11") for 2020 or newer with a 6.6 GAS motor is much closer to being affordable.

My plan two weeks ago was for a 60-90 window before purchase. But looking at all the shiny new trucks is tempting.

Used is going for sticker price near me and 23 models aren't far off. Incentives in the HD market are starting to pop up. Not near big enough in my opinion. They have a "take delivery by 5/1" so maybe next month will be better. Then again there is pent up demand for HD trucks. If I was to be patient I'd run my old rigs another year...

I live in Idaho too, but I work all over the country. I ordered my truck from a dealer up by Spokane, WA (in Idaho) and got it for more than $5k under sticker price. I seen comparable used trucks going for over sticker price at that time (back in September).

• Like 1

yeah crazy how they can sell used for more than new.....bought a 22 1500 on halloween and sold it back to same dealership couple weeks back for what i paid.....bought quite a few in last few years and they all sold for more than i paid.....

you can get decent deal on 23s right now though most people want the 24 i imagine...even some 22s probably from the chip shortage and they were parked somewhere

if incentives get better on the new, trade values go down so ..........HD dont follow 1500 trends though, will be awhile for discounts on 24s......

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:27 PM, Dr1ft3r said:

I like my long bed with the crew cab. Longer wheelbase = smoother ride and less front end lift when towing. I even made the truck about 10" longer with heavy duty steel bumpers and a grille guard.

I spend most of my time in the countryside and don't have to worry too much about tight places. But if I find myself at a store with it I usually park in the rear of the lot to avoid issues. I've learned to adapt to the length.

If I really need a smaller vehicle though, I have one. This truck isn't my only vehicle.

To each his own.

This is pretty much me to a T as well, except the truck is stock.  Love the long bed.

I caved. Put a deposit on a 23 CC Standard Bed, Custom trim. 

My wife drove our 94 extended cab, long bed to a doc appointment yesterday. She mentioned the tightness in the parking garage. So I gave her the wheelbase differences to think on and she concluded a cc longbed would be a no go.

The ‘23 will be the family truckster, replacing a Yukon and Suburban. Most days I’ll drive the classic rig. It has a long bed and has a few more years of service life left.

This seasons’ camping trips will be a lot less stressful. No more wondering what that new noise is on the ‘01 Suburban. Especially at O dark thirty, 300 miles from home, in the middle of nowhere, wife/kids/dog sleeping, as I’m watching travel trailer lights dance in the mirrors. My 100 pound tool kit will get much lighter as well.

Cheers…

Edited by IDBrett
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, IDBrett said:

I have not bought a brand new vehicle since 1995. A Pontiac Trans Am. An experience that caused me to say never again.

Guess never lasted 28 years.

Humm, my 94 Z-28 and 94 impala ss were pure joy. One I had 7 years the other 8. Shame yours wasn’t.