I must be weird; Long Bed SRW

Currently investigating a new to me truck. I haven’t been in the market for one for a few years. Last time I looked short beds everywhere and long beds few and far between. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve discovered nothing has changed.

I must be weird to want a long bed truck. I don’t often need a truck bed, but every time I do a long bed is a must for whatever I manage to get myself into.

I’ve looked at the short beds on the lots and just can’t imagine myself with one. I’ve owned them all short, long and stepside.

So as this journey progresses over the next couple/few months I hope to find a CC long bed.

Am I weird? (rhetorical, go ahead and make fun, It’s ok I know I am off kilter a few degrees)

Same with me, I spent a couple months looking for a long bed to pull my fifth wheel.  Found a 2020 2500HD LTZ Crew 8’ bed. Worth the extra time looking. It is a little hard to park in some lots.. especially our Home Depot! You would think they would make their parking lots big enough for trucks!

317EA2A5-FFFA-46A7-9980-73E01A348E46.jpeg

Edited by Lennon Starkweather
  • Thanks 1

I have never owned a crew cab before. So maybe there is something I don’t know about having a long bed behind that.

I don’t have to worry about fitting in a garage. Can’t get a vehicle in there anyway. Tiny house so the garage is a big walk in closet/pantry/etc.

I have found a perfectly (almost) optioned truck in my area. But it’s black and I just started looking. After 10 days of looking I may have to compromise on color. I’m fine with that with the exception being red. Can’t do that one. Had enough of that color in sunny Idaho. Summers are hot and black would be hotter. And a real pain in upkeep.

I am hoping and a wishing that with new models hitting the lots over the next few months that the number of trade ins goes up.

My son has a long bed CC. It's a nightmare in parking lots. When I bought mine, I wanted a long bed because the short bed was too short when hauling lumber. My last one was an extended cab. I decided to go with a long bed std cab. The inside the cab storage sucks, A Swing Case helped that. Overall I'm very happy with it.

• Like 1

I can see parking lots being a pain. A lot of them are striped for smaller vehicles. Even my local Lowe's.

I've had too many loads that were made easier with a long bed. Oddball, random stuff for family usually. Had a load of pallets last week for my FIL. Done in one trip vs. two.

My crew short bed fits in my garage and I hate walking out of o a cold iced up snow covered truck in the morning. The GM short bed is still pretty long at just under 7’ though. 
The long bed would be nice when I’m hauling 8’ material though having it easily fit with the tailgate closed

this is 8’ and 10’ material just the other day. Not bad for a short bed. 

how much weight would you guys be comfortable with leaning against the closed tailgate? I never like to. Seems these tailgates have enough issues 

30909088-045D-48DA-B4A6-ACBAC2D3EA3E.jpeg

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pryme said:

My crew short bed fits in my garage and I hate walking out of o a cold iced up snow covered truck in the morning. The GM short bed is still pretty long at just under 7’ though. 
The long bed would be nice when I’m hauling 8’ material though having it easily fit with the tailgate closed

this is 8’ and 10’ material just the other day. Not bad for a short bed. 

how much weight would you guys be comfortable with leaning against the closed tailgate? I never like to. Seems these tailgates have enough issues 

30909088-045D-48DA-B4A6-ACBAC2D3EA3E.jpeg

Yep, the bed on my crew cab standard bed holds lumber or plywood with the tailgate down just fine.

In regards to parking, Lowes lot here, if I don't nose into the spot in front of me, the ass end is well out into the lane.  I end up basically taking two spots.  I usually park out in no man's land in parking lots anyway, so not really a huge deal.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2023 at 7:14 AM, Pryme said:

Using supports like these I have personally had about 1000# on my tailgate.
91tILZz-wyL._AC_SX466_.jpg

So, the latch mechanism in the tailgate and the latch bolt on the bed is plenty strong for anything you choose to lean against it.

Now, whether or not it will malfunction and open on it's own is another matter entirely.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

Using supports like these I have personally had about 1000# on my tailgate.
91tILZz-wyL._AC_SX466_.jpg

So, the latch mechanism in the tailgate and the latch bolt on the bed is plenty strong for anything you choose to lean against it.

Now, whether or not it will malfunction and open on it's own is another matter entirely.

No I meant with the tailgate in the closed position and leaning wood against it while transporting it in the bed. I always am Leary about leaning too much on the closed tailgate