I want to brag a bit concerning the HD brakes.

9 hours ago, IDBrett said:

Purple tails, no pax. Same time in the toolbox as you. Coming up on 27 with the purple. It’s a small world and even smaller in aviation. Guarantee we know some of the same folks.

We probably do and yes it is a small world in aviation.

13 hours ago, IDBrett said:

Purple tails, no pax. Same time in the toolbox as you. Coming up on 27 with the purple. It’s a small world and even smaller in aviation. Guarantee we know some of the same folks.

I wish I had chosen a cargo airline to work for many years ago like Fedex or UPS because pax aircraft add that extra BS to work on.  Back in 2005 when Delta went bankrupt we had a lot of guys leave and hire on with UPS and Fedex.  They were like screw this, the cargo companies are generally more stable and more profitable and of course you don't have that extra layer of BS to be concerned with concerning pax.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nards444 said:

actually think the brakes sucks on these, at least the pedal response part,  have to push down way to much and far

How many miles do you have on your truck?  Reason I ask is because mine did too until around the 2500 mile mark when they finally bedded in and started working with normal pressure.  I used to hate driving our Explorer after driving my truck because I would slam our faces off the dash....lol...now it's all normal.  The only thing that isn't, what I would say normal but you get used to is the brake pedal is higher than most vehicles.  I quickly got used to that too.

4 hours ago, nards444 said:

actually think the brakes sucks on these, at least the pedal response part,  have to push down way to much and far

Check the power steering fluid. The brake booster is powered by the steering pump. Mine was low, it took most of a 12 oz bottle to fill it. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I wish I had chosen a cargo airline to work for many years ago like Fedex or UPS because pax aircraft add that extra BS to work on.  Back in 2005 when Delta went bankrupt we had a lot of guys leave and hire on with UPS and Fedex.  They were like screw this, the cargo companies are generally more stable and more profitable and of course you don't have that extra layer of BS to be concerned with concerning pax.

I do not miss all those lav’s!! Especially using a trash bag up to the shoulder to grab some junk some idiot dropped in there and jammed the dump valve. Now if it happens I know who to blame….

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Randal Scott said:

Check the power steering fluid. The brake booster is powered by the steering pump. Mine was low, it took most of a 12 oz bottle to fill it. 

Great advice.  Mine took a pint of fluid at 2500 miles and I've put in another 10 ounces just to get it normalized.  Mine was way under filled from the factory.

11 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Great advice.  Mine took a pint of fluid at 2500 miles and I've put in another 10 ounces just to get it normalized.  Mine was way under filled from the factory.

What’s with everything being low in these trucks. I have to admit I didn’t even look at the brake fluid reservoir. Now I must. 

17 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

How many miles do you have on your truck?  Reason I ask is because mine did too until around the 2500 mile mark when they finally bedded in and started working with normal pressure.  I used to hate driving our Explorer after driving my truck because I would slam our faces off the dash....lol...now it's all normal.  The only thing that isn't, what I would say normal but you get used to is the brake pedal is higher than most vehicles.  I quickly got used to that too.

Actually, had a 21 now have a 22 with 8k miles.   Was kind of a known issue on these that the brake booster sucks on these.  GM had a fix or try to fix of pushiing the brake all the way down and hold it for so many seconds, do that about  2-3 times.  That seemed to help some.  Honestly think now Im just better used to.  Just not the most responsive system

7 hours ago, Pryme said:

What’s with everything being low in these trucks. I have to admit I didn’t even look at the brake fluid reservoir. Now I must. 

Who knows, I still haven't checked my rear diff but it's on my list for this week.

How do the Bilsteins compare to the Rancho shocks on the AT4s and Denalis? When hitting bumps with our 5th Wheel on the freeway it can be really jarring, curious is upgrading to Bilsteins would help the issue?

I do not have luck with brake rotors. On my Impala, it's rotors once a year. Had a SD250 -warped them. 1500 Silverado, warp. My HD? after initial seasoning from new, awesome. When I had my old 3500 silverado 3 door LB, again, massive awesome brakes. 

Got the new HD home today, drove off with 8 miles. Almost 100 by the time I came home. I'm not expecting much today, but they are spongy and I kind of expect it for now.