Weird Camper brake problem...

So it took me a while to realize my camper brakes weren't working...another reason I love to brag on the HD brakes......please cut me some slack, I'm very new to this whole camper and HD thing ok...So here's the problem.  A few days ago I adjusted my camper brakes, really simple to do.  This is on a new 2023 camper.....Today I'm thinking yay, they will work.  Nope.  I squeezed the brake controller to 100%.  Barely held me still when stopped at idle in drive.  So I know the brakes are mechanically adjusted correctly by spinning the wheels looking for a little drag because I did that.  Tomorrow I'm going to check the voltage going to the 5 o'clock pin to the brakes of which should be around 8 volts maxed out and that I learned from a youtube video.  So I'm asking from you smarter guys out there, what am I missing or doing wrong?  

Edited by Jettech1

1 hour ago, Jettech1 said:

So it took me a while to realize my camper brakes weren't working...another reason I love to brag on the HD brakes......please cut me some slack, I'm very new to this whole camper and HD thing ok...So here's the problem.  A few days ago I adjusted my camper brakes, really simple to do.  This is on a new 2023 camper.....Today I'm thinking yay, they will work.  Nope.  I squeezed the brake controller to 100%.  Barely held me still when stopped at idle in drive.  So I know the brakes are mechanically adjusted correctly by spinning the wheels looking for a little drag because I did that.  Tomorrow I'm going to check the voltage going to the 5 o'clock pin to the brakes of which should be around 8 volts maxed out and that I learned from a youtube video.  So I'm asking from you smarter guys out there, what am I missing or doing wrong?  

I am assuming you have the Gain turned up correct? 

53 minutes ago, Ausslo said:

I am assuming you have the Gain turned up correct? 

The gain doesn't matter when you squeeze the manual controller.  Gain only comes into play when you step on your brakes.  When you are slowing down to a stop, you don't want your trailer brakes slowing your truck down, you want the trailer brakes to work with your truck evenly.  

That sounded kind of harsh to you @Ausslo I did not mean that to come over as harsh to you but I do respect your response.  Thank you sir!

Edited by Jettech1

@Jettech1 I know from the GD forums a lot of the Imagine trailers need the brakes adjusted on the trailer after 1k miles. How did you adjust them? I would be very surprised if the braking issue was in your truck.

I've towed my Imagine a good 6k miles and haven't needed to adjust since I do the stop check like you performed before I venture on the roads. 

Edited by the8rotor

My brake check is I drive down my driveway at 25 or so mph and manually hold the brake controller. If I can come to a stop and the trailer holds the truck, I set off on my way.

Edited by the8rotor

1 hour ago, Jettech1 said:

The gain doesn't matter when you squeeze the manual controller.  Gain only comes into play when you step on your brakes.  When you are slowing down to a stop, you don't want your trailer brakes slowing your truck down, you want the trailer brakes to work with your truck evenly.  

That sounded kind of harsh to you @Ausslo I did not mean that to come over as harsh to you but I do respect your response.  Thank you sir!

The gain does matter when you squeeze the manual controller. That's how you set the gain to the correct value. You drive at 25 mph on level pavement and squeeze the manual controller. The gain should be set to a level where the trailer brakes are just shy of locking up. The amount of gain needed will vary depending on how much weight is loaded in the trailer.

If your gain is not at 10.0 then set it higher and try again. If you get to 10.0 and the wheels still do not lock up, then the brakes may need adjusted.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

The gain does matter when you squeeze the manual controller. That's how you set the gain to the correct value. You drive at 25 mph on level pavement and squeeze the manual controller. The gain should be set to a level where the trailer brakes are just shy of locking up. The amount of gain needed will vary depending on how much weight is loaded in the trailer.

If your gain is not at 10.0 then set it higher and try again. If you get to 10.0 and the wheels still do not lock up, then the brakes may need adjusted.

Good info and thanks for catching my erroneous 5mph comment earlier. 25 is the perfect spot and I assumed @Jettech1 already had his gain set high. 

Maybe just that simple of an adjustment @Jettech1? Still curious how you adjusted your brakes as well. 

27 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

Good info and thanks for catching my erroneous 5mph comment earlier. 25 is the perfect spot and I assumed @Jettech1 already had his gain set high. 

Maybe just that simple of an adjustment @Jettech1? Still curious how you adjusted your brakes as well. 

I jacked up the axle, got about 3 full turns on each adusture to where the brake pad would come in contact with the drum.  So I got all 4 wheels set up mechanically correctly.  Hooked it up to my truck.  Squeezed the brake controller to max...barely held me still at idle.

16 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

^^^^This^^^^

It's becoming quite obvious I have no idea what I'm talking about.  I think I need a do over here because either I'm watching the wrong videos on youtube or something because I'm doing something wrong from what I'm reading.

So here's exactly what I did.  I jacked up each individual tire on my camper.  I adjusted the brakes until I could barely feel a little drag on the drum.  It took a lot, the shoes weren't even close to being adjusted properly.  After hooking up my camper I pulled out of our site.  The gain was on 5 but I didn't care about that because I thought the gain didn't come into play until I pressed on my truck brakes.  So I pulled out of our site, stopped, squeezed the brake controller to 100% and it barely held me still while in drive with my foot off the brakes.  What did I do wrong?  I was thinking that with the brake controller squeezed to max that the camper brakes should be locked up.  So where did I go wrong or what am I doing wrong?  Please educate me!!

Edited by Jettech1

Every time I've set the gain its when using the thumb trigger on the integrated controller.  Assuming the brakes are adjusted, set the gain on the higher side and start rolling say 20-25mph.  Squeeze the trigger.  If the wheels lock up, adjust the gain down.  You want them to be just off of a full lockup when manually applying so if they lock up at 6 gain, adjust down a 1/2 step.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, newdude said:

Every time I've set the gain its when using the thumb trigger on the integrated controller.  Assuming the brakes are adjusted, set the gain on the higher side and start rolling say 20-25mph.  Squeeze the trigger.  If the wheels lock up, adjust the gain down.  You want them to be just off of a full lockup when manually applying so if they lock up at 6 gain, adjust down a 1/2 step.  

Thank you for that, so I am doing it wrong.  I'm going to take a snapshot of your reply and try that out.  Thank you so much!!!

I apologize to all the others who took the time to respond to me and my thick ass skull didn't register what you all were saying.  I need to stop watching youtube videos and start trusting those that know and have way more experience than I do at this whole thing.  Thank you all for replying and trying to help me.  I really do appreciate it!!

@newdude Just to clear my mind please tell me this.  If I'm stopped in drive with no pressure on my brakes and I have the controller squeezed to the max and my truck is still rolling a bit forward....that's ok?  Regardless of the gain setting?  I'm still missing a piece of this puzzle.. Do they need rotation to work?

Edited by Jettech1