Weird Camper brake problem...

3 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

So here's exactly what I did.  I jacked up each individual tire on my camper.  I adjusted the brakes until I could barely feel a little drag on the drum.  It took a lot, the shoes weren't even close to being adjusted properly.  After hooking up my camper I pulled out of our site.  The gain was on 5 but I didn't care about that because I thought the gain didn't come into play until I pressed on my truck brakes.  So I pulled out of our site, stopped, squeezed the brake controller to 100% and it barely held me still while in drive with my foot off the brakes.  What did I do wrong?  I was thinking that with the brake controller squeezed to max that the camper brakes should be locked up.  So where did I go wrong or what am I doing wrong?  Please educate me!!

The gain is in use when you use the manual slide switch on the controller, that is how you adjust and set it.  You have to adjust the gain up until you get the brakes to where they will stop your truck without pressing the brakes. Find a good straight road that you can roll about 25 mph and adjust the gain using your switch.  

29 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

@newdude Just to clear my mind please tell me this.  If I'm stopped in drive with no pressure on my brakes and I have the controller squeezed to the max and my truck is still rolling a bit forward....that's ok?  Regardless of the gain setting?  I'm still missing a piece of this puzzle.. Do they need rotation to work?

On flat and level it should not allow you to roll in drive at idle, but not regardless of gain setting. They do not need rotation, when activated it uses an electro magnet to engage the shoes assuming we are talking electronic controller with drum brakes on the trailer. 

Edited by Ausslo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

The gain is in use when you use the manual slide switch on the controller, that is how you adjust and set it.  You have to adjust the gain up until you get the brakes to where they will stop your truck without pressing the brakes. Find a good straight road that you can roll about 25 mph and adjust the gain using your switch.  

See this is where you all are educating me.  I was under the impression that the gain did nothing when squeezing the controller.  Thank you for that, I'm trying to learn this whole thing.  Thank you sir!!

9 minutes ago, Ausslo said:

On flat and level it should not allow you to roll in drive at idle, but not regardless of gain setting. They do not need rotation, when activated it uses an electro magnet to engage the shoes assuming we are talking electronic controller with drum brakes on the trailer. 

Right!!  And that's what I thought.  If I'm stopped and in drive with no brake pedal pressure and I squeeze that controller all the way....those brakes on my camper should be locked up...right?

Edited by Jettech1

Think of it this way, there is no difference in pushing the brake or sliding the switch when it comes to activating the trailer brakes, gain controls the amount of trailer braking for both actions. The biggest reason the switch is there other than to test or set them is if the trailer starts swaying you want to grab that switch and NOT press the brake peddle and at that point they need to act just like you pushed the brake and NOT lock up, make sense?

Edited by Ausslo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ausslo said:

Think of it this way, there is no difference in pushing the brake or sliding the switch when it comes to activating the trailer brakes gain controls the amount of trailer braking for both actions. The biggest reason the switch is there other than to test or set them is if the trailer starts swaying you want to grab that switch and NOT press the brake peddle and at that point they need to act just like you pushed the brake and NOT lock up, make sense?

Dahhhh, yes and no.....my thick skull still has questions......so please answer this one question for me.  If I am sitting still in drive with no brake pressure, let's say gain is at 0.  So I reach forward and squeeze my manual controller all the way.  Shouldn't the brakes on my camper be locked up and not let me go forward at all?

1 minute ago, Jettech1 said:

Dahhhh, yes and no.....my thick skull still has questions......so please answer this one question for me.  If I am sitting still in drive with no brake pressure, let's say gain is at 0.  So I reach forward and squeeze my manual controller all the way.  Shouldn't the brakes on my camper be locked up and not let me go forward at all?

No

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for not pointing and shouting dumbass....I'm really trying to learn here and I got some bad info right off the bat....anyhow thank you all....I really do appreciate your kindness in helping me learn.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If you were closer Id say come by and I would be glad to help.  I would also say this, adjusting drum brakes is an art 😂 you eventually get a feel for it, slight drag can have a different meaning to each person. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ausslo said:

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. If you were closer Id say come by and I would be glad to help.  I would also say this, adjusting drum brakes is an art 😂 you eventually get a feel for it, slight drag can have a different meaning to each person. 

Very true sir....This topic kind of reminds me of when I first starting learning the magic of load leveling hitches...I was like WTH...how can a couple of bars put more weight on your front axle?  So I watched and read and learned and then I had that ahaaaa moment.  There was one video that finally put that last piece of the puzzle in my brain and I was like ok....I get it now...lol...

• Like 1

This is the video I should have watched from the beginning explaining everything you all explained to me.  How in the hell I got my wires crossed so bad I will never know.  But thank you all for being patient with me as I'm totally new to this camping, HD truck and well, everything else....lol....

• Like 2

On 5/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, Jettech1 said:

This is the video I should have watched from the beginning explaining everything you all explained to me.  How in the hell I got my wires crossed so bad I will never know.  But thank you all for being patient with me as I'm totally new to this camping, HD truck and well, everything else....lol....

Everyone has to learn something for the first time.

Also, after I set my gain at just below having the trailer wheels locking up, I dial it down just a tad bit more if I can feel the trailer pulling the truck just before I come to a complete stop. It probably doesn't hurt anything when the trailer does that, but I don't like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

Everyone has to learn something for the first time.

Also, after I set my gain at just below having the trailer wheels locking up, I dial it down just a tad bit more if I can feel the trailer pulling the truck just before I come to a complete stop. It probably doesn't hurt anything when the trailer does that, but I don't like it.

Thank you for the tip, I'll try it out.

Electric trailer brakes must have thewheel in motion in order for the brakes to apply (at whatever force they are set at) it works on a lever type effect that then applys outward force to the shoes. 

Unfortunately I think your problem goes deeper than settings. My last 3 trailers (2012,2018,2021) all had the rear seals blown out by an overzealous person power greasing the hubs, who knows where and why but the brakes were all coated and 2 required a complete replacement of the brakes. The last 2 trailers were a Grand design Imagine 2600RB and a Reflection 337RLS. If I read everything correctly the next move will be to tear the brakes apart and inspect them. If I was going to Vegas I would put $100 on the grease issue. This is why I hate the EZ lube system. 

No amount of gain will overcome greased brakes. 

Resized_20210511_135254_7393.jpeg