Blurry Rear Side Cameras

The rear view of my side cameras, such as when viewing rear wheels and sides of trailer when towing, are blurry. All my other cameras are crisp as HD cameras should be. Is everyone else's side rear views also blurry?

Edited by MrLeadFoot

Mine too.  I think it is fundamental to the design of the camera.  The camera under the mirror has to look both forward and rearward, which means it has a very wide angle lens.   It is practically on top of the front wheel, but much farther from the rear wheel.  It has to stretch (zoom in) the image for the rear to make it look as big as the image from the front.  That stretching causes the fuzzyness.

I wish the rear view was better, but I'm OK living with it.

I also recently drove my boss's new F150 XL (base model) with the surround camera option.  It made me appreciate my Chevy's camera even more (2023 Silverado 1500).

26 minutes ago, ExYukon said:

Mine too.  I think it is fundamental to the design of the camera.  The camera under the mirror has to look both forward and rearward, which means it has a very wide angle lens.   It is practically on top of the front wheel, but much farther from the rear wheel.  It has to stretch (zoom in) the image for the rear to make it look as big as the image from the front.  That stretching causes the fuzzyness.

I wish the rear view was better, but I'm OK living with it.

I also recently drove my boss's new F150 XL (base model) with the surround camera option.  It made me appreciate my Chevy's camera even more (2023 Silverado 1500).

While what you said sounds logical, how come the front, bed and backup camera images look so sharp, even at a distance that's farther than the distance from the side mirrors to the rear wheels? Are you saying that it's because the sideview cameras have an almost-180 degree view, that they can't possibly portray a crisp image?

Edit: I think I understand what you are saying: they made the focus sharp for the front wheels, and used that same "focus" for rear wheels, and trailer turn signal views, as well. If that's the case, they should have used an "average focus" of all 3 views. That way, each of the 3 views would be equal in clarity, and likely improve rear wheels and turn-signal views, as well, if that makes sense.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

The view of my front wheels from the side is not clear (2023 Sierra).  Anyone have a picture of how theirs looks?  I need to take the truck in for rough idle, I might as well throw everything at them when I go.