DIY brake & rotor replacement vs. dealer...

Changing fronts and rears seems to be relatively easy but the most worrisome is tons of codes thrown after. Some on Youtube did not have any issues by putting brake service mode before and turning it off after. However, I also found some had horrible issues ending up towing theirs to dealers and paying $175 to $1,500 to clear codes (limp mode, check engine light, service brake system....) or fix broken E-parking brake or other parts the dealership said, even though they exactly followed putting brake service mode thing step by step (even some additionally took the negative battery terminal off for 0.5-several hours then reconnect on top of brake service mode. How you guys are replacing pads and rotors, DIY, or letting the dealer do it though it sounds very pricy? It would be nice if you guys share your experience/thoughts or pro tips if you know. Cheers. 

Edited by Interleukin6

• Interleukin6 changed the title to DIY brake & rotor replacement vs. dealer...

it is hit or miss when it comes to getting codes. you have to have it in service mode if you are doing anything with the rear brakes. i have seen you can do the fronts without service mode but i had no luck and got lots of codes. you need a good scanner or you will be going to the dealership to get codes cleared. for me when i pushed the front pistons in to just change pads i got a lot of codes and if i didn't have the scanner would have been screwed. so after experimenting i found that you need it in service mode and then disconnect the battery, then the rear brakes are easy to do. for the fronts get extra brake fluid, and when you push the piston in crack the bleeder and let it push the fluid out. when done top up the brake fluid. then hook the battery back up and take it out of service mode.

Wooo.. Scary... Can you recommend a good scanner for this potential codes? When I tried to install OEM bed lights to my prior 2019 WT, my dealer asked $175 for programing only, even though I physically installed them by myself (it was not a pulg and play). Dealer said any kind of programing/scanner thing starts from $175. I returned them at that time.

Edited by Interleukin6