Speaker upgrade options

Just picked up a 2019 Silverado with no bose. I'd like to upgrade at least the front and rear speakers while retaining the stock head unit. I'd like to keep everything look as stock as possible. 

For good sound quality, I don't think the stock unit won't be sufficient, are there places behind the dash etc, to hid one of those really small 4 channel amps? 

If I have to add a sub, I supposed the only option is a small 8" under the seat? 

I'm only looking to improve SQ, not trying to win any DB competition. 

I can't comment on if there's space behind the dash, but there's plenty of room behind the rear seats and under the front seats. 

Subs can be as simple or as complex as you want it, with varying levels of appearing stock or not. Are you looking to stay under a certain budget?

• 2 weeks later...

Before adding an amp, try replacing the speakers.

I bought a non-Bose 2021 truck and the distortion from the speakers was unbearable, even at low volumes.  ...I replaced the speakers with 3-way speakers from Crutchfield and they were the cure.  ...Great sound at any volume.  ....The original head puts out enough power to power the new speakers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwtech said:

Before adding an amp, try replacing the speakers.

I bought a non-Bose 2021 truck and the distortion from the speakers was unbearable, even at low volumes.  ...I replaced the speakers with 3-way speakers from Crutchfield and they were the cure.  ...Great sound at any volume.  ....The original head puts out enough power to power the new speakers.

What brand of speakers from Crutchfield did you get? Did you just do front and rear door speakers?

11 hours ago, Bikerjon said:

What brand of speakers from Crutchfield did you get? Did you just do front and rear door speakers?

I did something similar, I'm just lazy and have not installed them yet. Along with a list of other stuff sitting in the garage.

But this is what I grabbed

Dash - Pioneer TA-A709's

Front Door - Kenwood KFC-6966S

Rear Door - Kenwood KFC-1796PS

Then all the harnesses and mounts

• Thanks 1

I put MB Quart titanium tweeter 2 ways in front and rear doors and the Pioneer TA-A709's in the dash. HUGE improvement over the low muddled sound of the stock speakers. It brings the sound level up more to the dash level than down at the floor. At some point I'm looking to add an under seat sub hopefully under the center jump seat since my rear under seat is a storage bin I have full of tools and towing/recovery equipment.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:58 PM, GETGONE said:

I put MB Quart titanium tweeter 2 ways in front and rear doors and the Pioneer TA-A709's in the dash. HUGE improvement over the low muddled sound of the stock speakers. It brings the sound level up more to the dash level than down at the floor. At some point I'm looking to add an under seat sub hopefully under the center jump seat since my rear under seat is a storage bin I have full of tools and towing/recovery equipment.

thanks for update.  Did you order everything from Crutchfield?  any special tools required to do the job?  Any tips or tricks you found to make the install easier?  I'm ready to do this, and pretty handy with tools but pretty reluctant to pull apart my new $70k truck to make something that works marginally better

5 hours ago, shudog said:

thanks for update.  Did you order everything from Crutchfield?  any special tools required to do the job?  Any tips or tricks you found to make the install easier?  I'm ready to do this, and pretty handy with tools but pretty reluctant to pull apart my new $70k truck to make something that works marginally better

I’d like to know too. Everything fit without cutting, and all behind the factory covers?

I ordered from eBay. I liked Crutchfield but they are expensive. The "free" mounts and adapters aren't really free when you price out the speakers elsewhere. They do give you instructions how to replace things. I ordered the adapters and mounts from eBay as well. The door panels are easy to remove on the pre-refresh trucks. I don't know what changed with the refresh interior to know how different it is to pull apart. Get yourself some plastic trim tools to help make taking apart things easier and not damage parts. The dash speakers drop in but the adapters used in the doors don't work in the dash. Someone had posted some other adapters that work for the dash plugs. I just pulled the pins from the adapters I had and pushed them into the factory plug and used electrical tape to hold them in place. You can find video instructions on how to replace the speakers on YouTube. I looked up what needed to be done there first before tearing into mine so I had an idea of what fasteners were where.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 9:27 AM, Vincej138 said:

I did something similar, I'm just lazy and have not installed them yet. Along with a list of other stuff sitting in the garage.

But this is what I grabbed

Dash - Pioneer TA-A709's

Front Door - Kenwood KFC-6966S

Rear Door - Kenwood KFC-1796PS

Then all the harnesses and mounts

Here is diff between stock and thr Kenwoods

I am very happy with the sounds and bass for not having an amp. Def worth the $200

20240309_142019.thumb.jpg.0d343bbf02521acc8522a3db70d7588b.jpg

I have the kicker 10" subwoofer with the amp that has a box made to fit under the backseat of these trucks that I purchased through chevrolet accessories on their website and I also added a Kicker key amp 200.4 to run the door speakers. I have a non bose stereo in my 2020 Silverado.  This setup sounds pretty durn good to me.